Nvidia gt 430 new driver update is a big improvment

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
lurch66

HTPC Specs: Show details

Nvidia gt 430 new driver update is a big improvment

Post by lurch66 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:00 am

I wanted to post something more in this topic so here it goes. :roll: I have been running this graphics card connected to a Onkyo 608 and was having trouble with live TV with media center's sounds on. when I would ff and rr to quickly it would freez up and I would get the blue screen error. I turned off the media center sounds and it helped but was not great. With the new driver's all is working wonderfully. It also eliminated the loud popping I was getting when playing Tron with dts master audio. Just wanted to see how everyone else's bitstreeming setup is running.
Last edited by lurch66 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:49 am

Hi,

is this a firmware update, or driver update? Who's the manufacturer of your card? Do you have a link for the update?

Thanks
Tony

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Sorry about that you are correct it is a driver update and here is the link for the Nvidia GT430 drivers. http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvi ... river.html The manufacture is PNY. I also changed the post title. Are you running the same setup? how is your's working?

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi,

I have a zotac 430 that has been running ok for quite some time, probably since around Christmas when nvidia released a newer driver - this then resolved some performance issues that were being seen. I think I posted about this on the original TGB at the time :-)

Haven't upgraded to the latest one, will do that in a couple of weekends time, when I plan to rebuild my pc from scratch, to remove the beta sp1 that I have installed (since I stupidly decided to remove the installation files)

Tony

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:04 am

Did any of you have issues with the GT430 not wanting to wake coming out of sleep mode with previous driver packages? I have had an issue with this up until recently. I also noticed that I can now enable 5.1 surround in windows and media center at the same time without getting the missing codec error on Live TV, movies and DVD's. Before I had to set windows to 2.0 stereo and media center to 5.1 so I didn't get the error.. Now both can be set to 5.1 and everything works! This is a huge improvement but not sure if it was fixed by NVIDIA or MS??? At any rate its great to have it all working as it should.
newfiend

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:25 am

newfiend wrote:Did any of you have issues with the GT430 not wanting to wake coming out of sleep mode with previous driver packages? I have had an issue with this up until recently. I also noticed that I can now enable 5.1 surround in windows and media center at the same time without getting the missing codec error on Live TV, movies and DVD's. Before I had to set windows to 2.0 stereo and media center to 5.1 so I didn't get the error.. Now both can be set to 5.1 and everything works! This is a huge improvement but not sure if it was fixed by NVIDIA or MS??? At any rate its great to have it all working as it should.
newfiend
I did not have any sleep problems but I was having the missing codec error. My fix was to turn off meda center navagation sounds as well as setting windows to 7.1 and disableing the side speakers. I than set media center to 5.1 and it worked pretty well. Since the driver update all works fine with navagation sounds on but I have not set the speaker config back yet. Everthing improved for me with the driver update from nvivia.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:23 pm

@ lurch66
Try setting your Windows sounds to 5.1 and Media Center the same and see if it works for you also..
I had to set Windows to 2.0 Stereo and Media Center to 5.1 to get things to work with out the missing codec error, But now all is working fine with BOTH set to 5.1..
Let me know how this works out for you.
Sleep mode has always been a pain for me.. not sure if it has something to do with my SSD firmware or what but sometimes i have to turn the HTPC on and off by remote a few times before I get video..I know the PC has booted as my front display is running like it should I just get no video signal to the TV. After about the third time of shutting it on and off it will pop on.
This seems to be getting better though with each driver release. Hope this latest release fixes it and I just installed MCE Standby tool to help with my sleep issues. Well see how that goes.
newfiend~

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Can't say I've ever had a problem with sleeping since this card was installed!

Tony

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:33 pm

I've recently installed this card in my system as my old one couldn't do 3D. So far it's been pretty much faultless and certainly have no issues with it.
Rich

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:52 am

Thanks for the tip. I'm running a 430 in my primary media center, and it's got a couple issues.
HTPCs, InfiniTVs, and Extenders OH MY!

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm fixing to install a PNY GT440 w/1gb DDR5 in mine. I'll le you know how it goes.
Mike

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:47 am

Good Luck with the rebuild mike hope it all goes smooth for ya!

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:04 pm

:roll:
Last edited by lurch66 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:05 pm

newfiend wrote:@ lurch66
Try setting your Windows sounds to 5.1 and Media Center the same and see if it works for you also..
I had to set Windows to 2.0 Stereo and Media Center to 5.1 to get things to work with out the missing codec error, But now all is working fine with BOTH set to 5.1..
Let me know how this works out for you.
Sleep mode has always been a pain for me.. not sure if it has something to do with my SSD firmware or what but sometimes i have to turn the HTPC on and off by remote a few times before I get video..I know the PC has booted as my front display is running like it should I just get no video signal to the TV. After about the third time of shutting it on and off it will pop on.
This seems to be getting better though with each driver release. Hope this latest release fixes it and I just installed MCE Standby tool to help with my sleep issues. Well see how that goes.
newfiend~
I was testing this for awhile to see the results. When I set both the pc and media center to 5.1 it work's great most of the time. But every so often if I ff and rr very quickly like when you ff pass the commercial, rr and then play again I lose audio. By setting the pc to 7.1 and disabling the 2 side speakers and setting the media center to 5.1 I do not have this problem. Again the problem does not happen very often but I am going to leave it at the 7.1/5.1 configuration as it has a better WAF. Other than that this card has been a very good purchase for me as it also got rid of a long running problem I used to have with live TV stuttering when resuming from sleep.

normychas

Post by normychas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:45 pm

i have my clarkdale running and bitstreaming and work perfectly. The only issue i have is an issue of the black screen of death when i start up my system (I keep the computer running all the time no sleep mode) I'm curious to know from you guys is there a perfect NVIDIA 430 card firmware combo that would make it worth upgrading. I try to keep my system very stable and im wondering if anybody is experiencing plug and play bliss. From this forum it doesnt seem like it

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Here's my results - the PNY GT440 POS is in my wife's PC now - I could NEVER get sound to work right - if I disabled exclusive mode, I lost my subwoofer - and then later, I lost Windows sounds! They would only play if I was playing something with WMP already! If I enabled exclusive mode, in the end, I would get the FIles not installed error.

Good riddence - now have my original 9600GT OC and feeding SPDIF to it - everything just works again (except for the 29.59 hz bug!).
Mike

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:26 pm

@ mmatheny..
when you did have the GT440 in there how was the 29.59 bug? did you notice any improvement in video quality? I know audio was not good but just curious if the Video was smoother for you?
newfiend~

fa1321tx

Post by fa1321tx » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:53 pm

I cannot get my on board 5.1 audio to play on my PNY GT430 it only shows stereo as an option? I tried everything from drivers to flashing my bios still no luck. My motherboard is older but windows 7 shows the right driver. My motherboard is a ECS P4M900T-M (V1.0) and has the VIA® VT1708A 6-channel High Definition audio on board. Any ideas how I can get the 5.1 to pass thru the HDMI?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:27 pm

fa1321tx wrote:I cannot get my on board 5.1 audio to play on my PNY GT430 it only shows stereo as an option? I tried everything from drivers to flashing my bios still no luck. My motherboard is older but windows 7 shows the right driver. My motherboard is a ECS P4M900T-M (V1.0) and has the VIA® VT1708A 6-channel High Definition audio on board. Any ideas how I can get the 5.1 to pass thru the HDMI?
First of all I need a little more info from you. Are you using HDMI out of the GT430 for Audio? Or are you using the Motherboard for Audio? Are you hooking it to an AVR or straight to the TV?
HDMI Handles both Audio and Video in one cable. I am going to assume you have an AVR since you are trying to get 5.1 surround sound. I will also assume you have downloaded and installed the latest nvidia driver package for the GT 430.
Make sure your TV is set up to use the external speakers and not the TV speakers. Check in your TV's menus for sound settings. My Tv has an option for TV speakers or External (AVR). If its set to use the TV speakers you may only get a Stereo option as the TV only has 2 speakers and the GT 430 will then only let you set up 2.0 stereo.

In Windows open Control Panel Select Sound.
In the Window that opens you should have multiple options for audio output. Select the HDMI output from your video card. Click Configure button. (this will sound weird but trust me) set it to 2.0 stereo (you should have more options available though including 5.1 and maybe even 7.1). Test save and exit.
This will set windows to use 2.0 stereo.
Now open Media Center.
Navigate to Tasks Settings, General, Windows Media Center Setup, Set up your Speakers.
Run through the setup screens, Select the HDMI connection, Select 5.1 on the next screen, test save and exit back to the Media Center Main Menu. Exit Media Center back to the Windows Desktop. Re-Open Media Center. This should get you 5.1 surrond sound in Media Center.
The Nvidia Driver handles all the Video and Audio through HDMi with no need to connect the motherboard audio to the Video Card. The Video card does it all.
The reason I told you to set Windows to 2.0 stereo is there is a bug in Media Center that will give you Video errors if you set both Windows and Media Center to 5.1 surround sound. Doing it the way I described will make everything work correctly.
See if this works out for you. It should. If you have any more questions post back and i'll try and answer your questions asap.
newfiend~

ymee

Post by ymee » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:54 pm

What sort of errors? I'm running in 5.1 in both sound control panel and media center. Was getting some video playback error message but disabling animation and sounds in the media center settings fixed it. If your method fixes these errors and lets me use animation and sounds in WMC again, that would be great. Can you clarify>