Wake on Lan

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
pduncan1963

HTPC Specs: Show details

Wake on Lan

Post by pduncan1963 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:37 am

Although I am sure the question has been asked before, I can not find a yes or no answer to the question in this forum or in the Ceton documentation. Can the Echo send a magic pack to the HTPC to wake it up like the XBOX360 does. I've tried it but cant seem to get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Yes, the Echo does send a WOL packet to the main HTPC; works for me. Obviously, your HTPC will need to be configured to wake on receiving said packet in your NIC drivers and (probably) your bios.

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Question, When one wakes up a computer in the morning lets say, what is the procedure one should leave the PC the night before? I have used Sleep, Hybernation and Echo has trouble finding a tuner until I reboot the PC.

Ed Rios
Ed Rios

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm

kp4akb wrote:Question, When one wakes up a computer in the morning lets say, what is the procedure one should leave the PC the night before? I have used Sleep, Hybernation and Echo has trouble finding a tuner until I reboot the PC.

Ed Rios
No procedure really - I just have my HTPC sleep after 1 hour of activity. When the HTPC is woken up, it can take a 1-3 minutes for tuners to be "ready" for use by the extender, depending on the tuner. I have the iTV4, and it does take a little bit for it to initalize after waking up - you may have to try different channels before it locks on; this is the nature with any extender, though.

Do you happen to be booting directly into LiveTV from the extender via the echo app options?

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:49 pm

No, What comes up is the WMC media Recorded tv etc. I will try to set up Live TV as that is the uption that my wife would like.

I will go to bios and enable wake up LAN and then to the NIC. I will report my progress.

Eventually I would like to use a dedicated HTPC like a Mini Zotac to house the Infinity.

Ed Rios
Ed Rios

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 pm

After checking the Bios I found a setting that I believe is the proper one and it is "PME Event Wake up Enabled"

And on the NIC I found " Wake Up on magic packet also enabled.

I set my computer to a 60 min sleep when not in use.

Question, When does Echo send the Magic Packet, when it is turned on or when a signal from the remote is received?

Ed Rios
Ed Rios

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:47 pm

grinchy-- you mentioned in your post that one has to try different channels before lock up , that happens to me and I get a message that HDCP can not play on my HDTV and to plug the device through analog connections. eventually I go to a free channel like CBS and the it all works until the next time I turn on the Echo

Hard for me to tell if the problem is TV, Echo, WMC or PC

Ed Rios
Ed Rios

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:50 am

kp4akb wrote:After checking the Bios I found a setting that I believe is the proper one and it is "PME Event Wake up Enabled"

And on the NIC I found " Wake Up on magic packet also enabled.

I set my computer to a 60 min sleep when not in use.

Question, When does Echo send the Magic Packet, when it is turned on or when a signal from the remote is received?

Ed Rios
I believe it sends it during the "Waiting..." splash screen; after the Ceton bootup logo though I don't know for sure.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:53 am

kp4akb wrote:grinchy-- you mentioned in your post that one has to try different channels before lock up , that happens to me and I get a message that HDCP can not play on my HDTV and to plug the device through analog connections. eventually I go to a free channel like CBS and the it all works until the next time I turn on the Echo

Hard for me to tell if the problem is TV, Echo, WMC or PC

Ed Rios
It DOES eventually work, correct? This is more/less consistent with my experiences - sometimes I can just leave it sitting on the channel and it'll eventually pick up; though the latest Ceton FW seems to not do it as well as it used to. You can check your WMDRM pairing statuses (are they green or red) during the time the copy-once channels aren't showing; these need to be Green before they will function properly. During wake up, it can take between 1-2minutes.

However, are you saying this stlil happens even if the PC is already running and you reboot the echo? If so, that doesn't sound normal.

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 am

The whole setup is not consistent. Today I could watch but could not watch recorded TV. I have a spare drive and I am going to do a fresh Win t install with nothig but what is necessary to run Infinity , WMC and the Echo extender.

I am not sure that this whole setup can replace the cable box yet. We got to simplify it and make it consistent
Ed Rios

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 am

kp4akb wrote:The whole setup is not consistent. Today I could watch but could not watch recorded TV. I have a spare drive and I am going to do a fresh Win t install with nothig but what is necessary to run Infinity , WMC and the Echo extender.

I am not sure that this whole setup can replace the cable box yet. We got to simplify it and make it consistent
Wow - something definately doesn't sound right. When my HTPC wakes up from a WOL packet, it'll take 2ish minutes for copy-once channels to become fully ready (WMDRM pairing to go green). But recorded Tv will be available immediately... are you getting HDCP issues with recorded tv (regardless if waking from sleep)? If so, that sounds like an Echo issue.

Where are you recorded programs located - same machine?

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:26 am

Grinchy I have spent the last 5 hours installing a clean Windows 7. I ran into a little problem----- 137 Updates from Microsoft. It would be nice to get an updated windows 7 installation disc.

I only have Adobe Reader and Ceton installed and Windows Essentials. I can now find out how well everything works. Getting late here so I will let the updates continue
Ed Rios