Commercial files do not exist keeps popping up

snuff1175

HTPC Specs: Show details

Commercial files do not exist keeps popping up

Post by snuff1175 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:56 am

I removed dvrmstoolbox and show analyzer. I unchecked the dtbaddin from the settings menu inside windows media center, but when I try to watch a show from within recorded tv hd it, I get a pop up dialog box that says "commercial files do not exist, do you want to process this show?" Was there something else I was supposed to turn off or disable? I kept having problems commercial skipping, so I was trying to remove it.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Why not just uninstall the DTBAddin?

TMan459

Post by TMan459 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 am

Uninstalling the DTBAddin should take care of your issue.

With that said, I suggest taking another shot at commercial skipping, since this is what puts a WMC setup over a cable company's Set Top Box, IMO.

I couldn't go back to manually skipping commercials, having them detected and auto skipped is a beautiful thing.

There is nothing wrong with ShowAnalyzer, but I've had better results with Comskip. The development is active unlike SA (I think so anyways), and the developer is helpful in Comskip's forums.

Give it a shot, and report here with success or failure, we'll help you out!

snuff1175

Post by snuff1175 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 am

I uninstalled the DTBAddin. Thanks!!!! No more annoying pop up. My screen would kind of blank out periodically when manually skipping a recorded show. You could still hear the audio, but the controls would freeze up and the screen would just show the media center background. I use a harmony one remote. The remote would stop responding. I could use a mouse to click on the wmc orb and get back to the main menu, but not the remote. After going back to the main menu, everything would be fine. I noticed that ShowAnalyzer was taking up a lot of system resources causing a drag on my system. I have an i3 with 8 gigs of ram, a ssd for windows and a regular hard drive for recordings, so I don't think my HTPC was the problem. Since deleting SA, it hasn't frozen once. I'm hesitant to try Comskip. Almost lost my HTPC to the WAF!

TMan459

Post by TMan459 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 am

SA shouldn't drag your system down like you describe. I'm assuming, when you were commercial skipping, that you used DVRMSToolbox. If that's the case, there's a priority setting on the first tab to set your worker at. I use Comskip of course, and setting the priority to Below Normal doesn't cause my system to drag (and I'm on a Phenom II x4 @ 4 GHz, so we're comparable with your i3). I can play a demanding game like Far Cry 3 while recording and processing for commercials in the background with no hiccups.

If you didn't use DVRMSToolbox, I will suggest you use that, as well as giving commercial skipping another chance. DVRMSToolbox can be a bit odd to deal with at first glance, but as you work with it, its settings become more clear. Basically, its as simple as donating for Comskip (this enables processing of WTV files, if you still are on Vista and are outputting recordings in DVR-MS then you won't need the donator version), dropping the files into DVRMSToolbox's Applications folder, selecting Comskip as your preferred analyzer in the settings program, and having it monitor your recording directory. It handles the rest without user interaction.

I will admit, I had to fight with DVRMSToolbox to figure it out, but it is completely worth the trouble. Now I don't have to touch anything, and my recordings are automatically processed and commercials are skipped automatically. It's one of those once you experience it you can't go back kind of setups. If you get there, you won't regret it!

Like I said in my prior post, if you give it a shot, and need some help, I'm willing to do so, as others will most likely be as well.

Good luck!