Harmony and DVRMS / Comskip

aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

Harmony and DVRMS / Comskip

Post by aeblank » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:49 pm

I have comskip and DVRMS all set up and working fine, thanks to my brother paving the way and giving me all his settings/tweaks.

Anyway, right now I have the down arrow on the D pad to turn skipping on/off. The problem with that is the down key has other uses.

What key can I use on an Xbox remote (with my harmony) that is also common to DVRMS that ISN'T used for something else.

For instance (unless I'm missing something)...

I'm not using the "#" key on the harmony, but DVRMS doesn't have it that I can find.
I'm not using the "." key on the harmony, but DVRMS doesn't have it that I can find.
DVRMS has a TON of other keys, that it doesn't seem that my harmony has (take your pick, F1, F2, and a million others).

Has anyone figured out which key is common to both yet unused in media center?

I plan to use the up/down arrow right under the screen on my Harmony 600s.

Thanks,
Andy

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:12 pm

I change all of teh DVRMS keys to the number keys as I don't find a regular need for them during recorded playback

7 turns auto on off
9 skips forward
etc.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm

That won't work for me as I often do 5-skip or whatever to move around in a show.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:08 am

What can you change your . or # buttons to in the harmony setup? Go to customize buttons and you could see about making one of those buttons mimic a different button that is available in the dvrmstb list of choices.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed May 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Bump...

Best I came up with is page-up and page-down. It exists and works for xbox extenders using "xbox remote" and it works for media center directly, using its remote.

Now my problem..... To get pageup and pagedown for media center, I added the MS keyboard to my remote. I'm trying to use that remote to teach the function to one of my other remotes so that I can map the button to somewhere. I will learn the buttons from the "xbox remote" for my extenders, but it will NOT learn the function from the MS Keyboard. It says it is invalid and to try again.

Any thoughts? I sure wish Harmonys were a little more techie-friendly. They make them so "simple" that they are complicated.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm

So, interestingly the software allows the learn (from the MS keyboard). The website does now.
However, I have a 200 (I think) and 2 650s. The 200 requires the website.
So, I had decided to just use the website for everything for simplicity's sake. At this point I'd have to reconfigure everything to start using the software, and it would still leave me high and dry on my 200.

I don't know how Harmony got on top of the remote market, but I'm not convinced they deserve it. multiple ways of configuring with different capabilities. No way of pulling functions from one device into another. no way to arrange the order of the activities!!!! (I have 2 that I rarely use but want on there, and the one that I always use is on the second page, WTF).

Too bad someone hasn't written their own programmer for these remotes..