WD MyBookLive Drives and Xbox detection

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Kevin3824

HTPC Specs: Show details

WD MyBookLive Drives and Xbox detection

Post by Kevin3824 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 am

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I missed where to post this issue. I am running Windows 7 WMC and have 2 separate WD MyBookLive drives storing movies and blu-rays on. My problem is that when I connect to my network with my XBOX Pro set as a Media extender it only rarely will see both drives when it is searching for movies and it is reacting very slow to show the graphics of those movies as well. I am on a gigabit network locally but my internet connection is only 2Mbps download. My computer specs are pretty good I would like to think above average even though they are still stock off the shelf. I have an HP Pavillion HPE h8-1203 i7 2600 (Sandy Bridge) Quad Core processor, 8 GB DDR3-1600, NVIDIA GeForce GT 620, 2TB SATA 7200rpm HDD, RTL8171FH-CG gigabit ethernet controller, 802.11 wireless b/g/n & Bluetooth 3.0 half-length PCI-Express Mini card, SuperMulti DVD Burner drive, 15-in-1 multimedia card reader.

My network router is a Dlink DIR-865L and I have a Dlink DGS1610A 16 port network switch between the router and the XBOX as well. The two WD MyBookLive drives are 2 TB each and are connected directly into the router.

Any help is appreciated

DaveJMathews

Post by DaveJMathews » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:59 pm

The issue could be the hard drives being on the router and the Xbox being on the switch. I know it sounds silly and it shouldn't make a difference but sometimes it does. My extenders at first did not connect to my WMC machine.

The WMC machine was connected right to the router along with a few other devices. The rest of the devices including the Xboxs were connected via a switch later down the network. The xbox would rarely pull the library from the WMC machine and when it did it took forever. I hunted and found someone mention that having extenders on a different switches or router placed into switch mode could effect it.

So now my network is setup Modem-->Router-->Main Switch Everything is connected to the main switch, some areas of the house I have smaller 5 port switches and it seems to work fine now no matter where I put the Xbox.

I have no idea why you could not connect anything to the router or any switch connected to the router, basic networking knowledge would tell you that is fine they are all going back to the router"network level"... but something about it just will not go.

I even tested it in various configurations. I have a long Ranch style home so my Modem,Router,Switch are in the center of the home... at each far end I added a 5 port switch and additional Wifi Access Points "routers put into AP mode" Now these AP should act as a basic switch/AP but if I connect a Xbox to it hard wired or through the Wifi, it is slow to see the WMC machine if at all. The Xbox must be connected to the switch to work well.

The only other configuration that has worked is the WMC connected to the router and the Xbox connected to the router either hard wired or Wifi. So it seems if you have switches connect them all to that switch, if your using a router switch combo make sure they are connected tot he same device.

In my opinion it looks like you need a strong Layer 2 network connection to use Xbox extenders, but I know it has been different for everyone using them as extenders. I have tested 3 and they all work fine following this configuration.

Kevin3824

Post by Kevin3824 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:29 pm

WOW thanks so much Dave you are correct. The idea of the hard drives being plugged into the same network switch as the network extender should not matter but it seems to. I recently installed the myMovies plug in on the WMC it said I had over 400 movies and the XBOX was telling me I had only 326. I moved the hard drives to the living room and now I am seeing over 400 movies on that extender. The only problem I am foreseeing is with having the hard drives connected to the router directly they both were acting like personal cloud storage. Hooking it up this way I may not be able to use these hard drives as a cloud not sure I will have to verify that after I get the new extenders up and running. I want out today and bought 2 more XBOXs to set up as extenders wireless will post if they have any issues connecting to it.

UPDATE: I have hooked up two more XBOX consoles as extenders bringing my total number of Extenders here to 3. The two I added today were done wireless. They seemed to connect just fine and see all the Movies on Both my network drives. I am also able to still use the cloud feature on those hard drives as well making them available to other units on my network such as my android tablet for example.

DaveJMathews

Post by DaveJMathews » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 am

Awesome... Glad it worked for you. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out the first time round.

You would think enough people would have complained about this by now and they could have fixed it via a windows/xbox update. Crazy that a company that designs server software would have this kind of hiccup in proprietary equipment and software on a networking level.