HGST drive keeps disappearing

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.

HTPC Specs: Show details

HGST drive keeps disappearing

Post by 1454 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:09 am

Ok, so here is the situation. one of my 3tb hard drives just randomly disappears, it will come back after a while, but it still disappears occasionally. I did a search and found one other person have their drive disappear, but his/hers just happened once, not regularly. Has anyone else had a HDD act up like this? If so, did you get a replacement? Mine is still under warranty for another year, so I may see about sending it back, but I wanted some advice first if anyone can offer any. Thanks.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:27 am

Call David Copperfield! :lol:

Seriously... check your power and data connections first. Make sure they're seated correctly. Try using a different SATA cable. Try using a different power connector.

Post by 1454 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:37 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Call David Copperfield! :lol:

Seriously... check your power and data connections first. Make sure they're seated correctly. Try using a different SATA cable. Try using a different power connector.
I changed out sata cables, and tried different sata ports on the MOBO. I also tried hooking it up via USB with an dock, which is how it is hooked up currently. So other than the power connector, I think I have changed everything. Which, I guess I have changed the power connector too because of using an external dock. So I guess I should try warranty exchange?

Oh, and if it makes a difference, it takes a reboot before the drive will reappear. Dang copperfield. :D

STC

Post by STC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 am

Check event viewer for clues. Just in case the drives smart data and also if you can, put your ear to it and listen for any anomalies.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:41 pm

This may not be entirely the same as the OP's problem, but I thought I would post here for anyone referencing this topic.

I had a 1TB seagate drive that would disappear on resume from S3 sleep, but when I did a physical inspection the drive was clearly spinning. Coud never find any issues in the logs and never found a resolution online so I tried moving around the sata connection from the connectors controlled by my NB to the ones controlled by my SB and problem resolved. Not sure if the issues was having too many peripherals on the NB saturating the bus and causing the drive to not wake up fast enough to be recongized by Windows, but the switch worked for me.