MS Remote weird issue

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
leopold

HTPC Specs: Show details

MS Remote weird issue

Post by leopold » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 pm

I've been using a version of MCE since way back in the dark days of XP, through Vista and up to Win7. Over these years, I've encountered many and varied issues with it and have managed somehow or other to fix everything that's been thrown at me. Until now.

The problem started a couple of weeks ago when the MCE remote I've been using for the last 4 years suddenly became almost completely unresponsive. I say "almost"; the programmable buttons that control the TV power and volume still worked as they should and, when pressing any buttons, the IR receiver blinks to acknowledge the presence of a signal. But the really weird part is the PC power button will bring the PC out of sleep, but won't put it back there.

I've tried a generic lookalike remote that my son in law gave me and that works just fine, which suggests to me I can rule out any issues with updates, USB faults or the receiver. I'd be willing to concede that the remote is broken and even tentatively accept that the programmable buttons might bypass the broken bit, but why would the PC power button bring the PC out of sleep and then not work? Has anyone else encountered this and, if so, how did you fix it?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:28 pm

It sounds to me like you've accidentally changed the codeset on your remote so that it doesn't match the codeset on the PC (or vice versa). The power button will wake the PC even if the codeset on the remote doesn't match the codeset in the Windows Registry.

leopold

Post by leopold » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:11 pm

Yes, I can see how that would make sense.

Okay, I found out how to change the codeset and that fixed it. Someone must've sat on the remote and managed to change it by accident. Thanks for the info, it helped me to find the answer. :thumbup: