Configuration Error

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
luhando

HTPC Specs: Show details

Configuration Error

Post by luhando » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 pm

I am getting frustrated trying to figure out how to get my Xbox 360 and Ceton Echo extenders connected. They were working just fine, but I had to switch routers (switched ISPs). I am now using an Airport Extreme instead of the AT&T provided router I previously had. Now, my extenders won't connect.

I tried uninstalling and re-pairing both of them and I continue to get the Configuration Error instantly in WMC. I tried deleting the WMC certificate and restarting the Network List Service. I have tried disabling my firewall. I am on the verge of buying a new router. Any ideas?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Are you using a mix of wired and wireless (e.g. the PC is wireless and the extenders are wired, or vice versa)?

If so, many routers have a setting that prevents wireless and wired clients from talking to each other. I can't think of the name of the setting right now, but you should poke around in your new router's settings.

luhando

Post by luhando » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:24 pm

No, everything is wired. The Ceton Echo was behind a switch, but I attempted to wire it directly to the router with no luck.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Well, it's also possible for a router to prevent a device which is plugged into one LAN port from communicating with a device which is plugged into another LAN port (e.g. the HTPC is plugged into LAN port#1, and the extender is plugged into LAN port#2). I've never seen a router that had a default configuration that would prevent this, but it is possible. You should still look into the router's settings pages.

One other possibility... plug all of your extenders and your HTPC into the switch, and then up-link the switch to the router (so that all devices have access to the Internet). This will eliminate the router as a possible cause of the problem.