Reset Windows, Now Cant Play Protected Recordings

leebo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by leebo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:22 pm

Thank you for clarifying. Perhaps it wasn't a Windows reset then, since all her programs were still there afterwords.

So which is the option in Windows 8 that does not remove installed apps and programs, yet still clears your Playready list of recorded programs? Because that's what happened (and hopefully explains why I'm confused about this).

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 pm

The Refresh option basically reset's Windows to it's default settings, but leaves any files that you created in place. 3rd Party Applications are uninstalled (or, in the case of default applications, and Windows store apps, re-installed).

You're still resetting Windows to the installation defaults, as though you had backed up your data, done a clean install, and then restored your data.

The Link "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" isn't quite as unambiguous in your case - your WTV files are still there, untouched, but the DRM database has been reset, so copy protected WTV files can't be played.

I can sympathize that you got bitten by this new feature, but I will point out that if Microsoft were to list every single caveat in great detail, there would have been a 6 page click through dialog box, and you probably would have skipped over the one caveat that mattered to you, unless it somehow made it to point one on page one - and unfortunately, Windows Media Center is very much a minority sport in the Windows world, and DRM protected recordings are a minority of the recordings made by WMC users (only some US cable card users - it's a non-issue outside the US, or for OTA users, or for many cable customers).

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/wind ... h-reset-pc

leebo

Post by leebo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:41 pm

foxwood wrote:
I can sympathize that you got bitten by this new feature, but I will point out that if Microsoft were to list every single caveat in great detail, there would have been a 6 page click through dialog box, and you probably would have skipped over the one caveat that mattered to you, unless it somehow made it to point one on page one - and unfortunately, Windows Media Center is very much a minority sport in the Windows world, and DRM protected recordings are a minority of the recordings made by WMC users (only some US cable card users - it's a non-issue outside the US, or for OTA users, or for many cable customers).

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/wind ... h-reset-pc
That makes sense. I forgot how relatively recently CC tuners have been available. I've been using an SD HDHomeRun Prime almost since it came out. I used to be with TW, who copy protects almost everything.

I suppose expecting MS to write an update to WMC that sets a backup schedule of PlayReadys recordings list would be asking too much, especially since they don't seem to even support it.

I think WMC could have been big, but it came out too early, people just didn't seem to get having a PC to handle their recordings (probably the cable industry is more to blame).

In any case, thanks everyone for your input. I will make a note of that PR file location.