Echo Issue with Remote Receiver

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mldenison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Issue with Remote Receiver

Post by mldenison » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:18 pm

When I bring up the guide, the up/down arrows jump two channels every time using either my Logitech 600 remote or the original Echo remote. On the main WMC menu, it jumps as well.

Using the same remote (Logitech 600 remote or the original Echo remote) on the HTPC, the guide works perfectly.

UPDATE:

It appears that plugging a IR remote into the Echo's USB port is the problem. I've tried two different ones with the same result. The Echo functions normally without an attached IR receiver.

Additionally, the Echo reboots without warning while trying to scroll the guide via the IR receiver.

It seems like the internal IR receiver is not disabled when using an external one.

It's a problem for me since there's no room in front of our kitchen TV for the Echo and the TV blocks signals to the internal IR when the Echo is in the back.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Does the IR receiver require drivers to be installed in a PC?

The "reboot" you mention could actually be a network issue. The echo appears to reboot but it is really only re-establishing the network connection. I had problems with this while testing a wireless bridge. Once I got the bridge set up correctly the "reboots" went away. Verify that the NIC for your host PC has an up to date driver as this may help.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:48 pm

It sounds to me like the Echo is simply receiving the signal from the IR window and the plug-in receiver, hence a double command. All you need to do it cover the IR window with electrical tape.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:51 pm

I have an IR receiver on my HTPC, and drivers were installed when it was plugged in initially.

I haven't found any information on the USB port on the Echo save for a few posts some time ago that it was for an IR receiver. It had been working fine, for the most part, until the latest beta firmware update. I don't know if that was coincidental.

I have no reboot issues when the IR receiver is not connected and my NIC drivers are the latest available.

I don't think black tape would pass the WAF :>)

I've opened a support ticket with Ceton to see if they can shed some light on either using an IR receiver or the USB port. One would think that connecting an external IR receiver would cause the Echo to disable the internal one (I hope).

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:08 pm

mldenison wrote:I have an IR receiver on my HTPC, and drivers were installed when it was plugged in initially.

I haven't found any information on the USB port on the Echo save for a few posts some time ago that it was for an IR receiver. It had been working fine, for the most part, until the latest beta firmware update. I don't know if that was coincidental.

I have no reboot issues when the IR receiver is not connected and my NIC drivers are the latest available.

I don't think black tape would pass the WAF :>)

I've opened a support ticket with Ceton to see if they can shed some light on either using an IR receiver or the USB port. One would think that connecting an external IR receiver would cause the Echo to disable the internal one (I hope).
Seems suspect but I don't think that was the target of the f/w update.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 pm

mldenison wrote:I don't think black tape would pass the WAF :>)
Does the Wife in question spend much time looking at the back of your TV? I thought the whole point of using the IR receiver was because you were putting the Echo itself out of sight?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Maybe I misunderstand. The Echo is already out of sight, hence the need for a remote eye. So I don't see how a half inch square of black tape on the front of it would even be seen by anyone. I agree this could be considered a bug which may eventually be fixed, but this is a simple solution to your problem right now.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 pm

foxwood wrote:
Does the Wife in question spend much time looking at the back of your TV? I thought the whole point of using the IR receiver was because you were putting the Echo itself out of sight?
The TV in question has about a 1" open space at the bottom, between the flat screen and the stand base. The Echo sits behind it with not quite enough room to fit into the space. The IR sensor location on the Echo is such that it apparently doesn't receive the signal consistently, depending on where you are in the kitchen. I haven't had much luck trying to prop up the front of the Echo to expose the IR sensor. The Echo is not out of sight intentionally but can't be completely hidden, or completely exposed, thus my quandary, and need for an IR extension. Unfortunately, she has become a little frustrated with the Echo/HTPC thing - channel switching delays, the clunky WMC guide. I guess if it emulated ComCast's STB she'd be more pleased. I'm just working on the acceptance factor.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:47 pm

I would think taking a minor cosmetic hit in exchange for reliable remote control would be an acceptable trade off. If your extenders are too slow, you need to speed up your network and/or HTPC. I've also found that WAF is a lot higher when she realizes this approach saves $30/month or more in most cases.

It also sounds to me like an RF remote would solve your problem, if there is enough space nearby.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 pm

mldenison wrote:the clunky WMC guide. I guess if it emulated ComCast's STB she'd be more pleased.
Seriously?

I'm speechless.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:07 pm

Bad Echo.

I have a second Echo that I purchased from Newegg for our bedroom. This unit had not been installed since we need to replace that TV, which we have yet to do.

I installed that Echo, replacing the current unit (which was a beta unit). It updated its firmware to the latest stable release. Both IR receivers I have worked fine with it. I’ve just finished updating to the latest beta firmware and it is still working fine.

I need to RMA the first unit as there is a problem with it.