From the Extras Library "Invalid Application"

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Kmann

HTPC Specs: Show details

From the Extras Library "Invalid Application"

Post by Kmann » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 pm

Brand new "Old" echo. Finally plugged in my Echo which I received months ago. Did not want to spend a lot of time troublshooting so I waited till the bugs got worked out. Guess I did not wait long enough. On Saturday I plugged it in. From the Extras Library I select Echo and get "Invalid Applaication" "Disable this application?"

Thus I am unable to update my firmware.

I know the plugin installed in Media Center because I was able to stream recorded for a couple of minutes till it just hung.

hmmm....should I just wait a few more months and try again or does someone know a solution to my problem.

Support ticket started on Sat.
ARP-172-72906

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17 pm

If you installed the plug-in with the Echo turned OFF and Media Center CLOSED on the PC, then you should be able to power up the Echo and then enter the ip address for the echo 192.168.x.xx and it will open a browser page with diagnostics, updates, settings, support and downloads. Go to settings and make sure it is set to beta, then check updates. If nothing wait a few minutes and try again and you should be offered the update and you should be able to start the update from the browser on the Media Center PC as long as the echo is powered on (don't even have to be watching it on your tv).

If an update is available you should also get a notice on the Echo when it boots to press "1" to install. Perhaps your FW is "too old" to work with the plug-in which Ceton can tell you as long as you provided the FW information with the support ticket. The browser also lets you send diagnostics to Ceton which you then refernce in your ticket. The ID is always the same so it's important to let them know the time you sent the diagnostics so they don't delve into past information.

BTW the plug-in wouldn't have had any impact on streaming live tv to the Echo....we could do that before the plug-in was released. The plug-in gives you a way to change settings and check for updates. Make sure you have downloaded the latest plug-in as well.

Kmann

Post by Kmann » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:51 pm

"If you installed the plug-in with the Echo turned OFF and Media Center CLOSED on the PC, then you should be able to power up the Echo and then enter the ip address for the echo 192.168.x.xx and it will open a browser page with diagnostics, updates, settings, support and downloads."

I did do this. I am getting the "Settings" page on the Echo
General
Audio
Vidio
Diagnostics
etc
etc

but the minute this page opens from the Echo I get my error message "Invalid Application"and the echo becomes unresponsive and I have to power off.

Am I supposed to enter the ip address from the "Echo settings which I can not get to or from my media center PC?
Thanks for the Help

Kmann

Post by Kmann » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 pm

I just watched the installation Video for the Echo (pinned at the top )and it looks like the problem is that my echo is giving me the error and hanging before I can get to the About on the Echo settings page.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 am

Kmann wrote:I just watched the installation Video for the Echo (pinned at the top )and it looks like the problem is that my echo is giving me the error and hanging before I can get to the About on the Echo settings page.
Are you using settings version 13.01.16.0480? If not you can get it here http://cetoncorp.com/echo-settings-plugin/ What is the IP address of your Echo?

Kmann

Post by Kmann » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:17 am

[
Crash2009 wrote:Are you using settings version 13.01.16.0480? If not you can get it here http://cetoncorp.com/echo-settings-plugin/ What is the IP address of your Echo?
That was the video I watched and settings version 13.01.16.0480 is what I downloaded and installed. My ip was 192.168.1.129
This is has the Original firmware from the "preorder" shipments from NewEgg. It has never been updated. I waited to install because I don't have a lot of time available to "troubleshoot"

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kmann

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Kmann wrote:That was the video I watched and settings version 13.01.16.0480 is what I downloaded and installed. My ip was 192.168.1.129 This is has the Original firmware from the "preorder" shipments from NewEgg. It has never been updated. I waited to install because I don't have a lot of time available to "troubleshoot" Thanks for the suggestions. Kmann
No problem. Just to let you know, I just found out that the Ceton Update servers were, (maybe still are) having a little trouble this weekend. You might have just picked the wrong time to unbox your Echo. There have been some reports that the Update Server is/was down http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386351/offic ... t_23030595

I dont remember ever seeing any videos or instructions on how to use the Web-Based Settings. I think the instructions have been yelled back and forth in the forums and that's where I found out about them. Anyway you just have 2 steps to get there, and a couple more to get the updates.

1-Turn the Echo on and wait for it to boot into WMC. You dont have to do anything else.
2-Assuming that you are reading this while you are on the same network as your Echo, click here.http://192.168.1.129/
3-Click on Settings and select Stable
4-Then Click on Updates

If this doesn't work, the Ceton Update Site is likely having a problem. Try again later.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:09 pm

The servers were working again as of 9:30 AM PST on Saturday March 2 when I updated the HW on one of the internal tuners. A little later the Echo web page was returning no update available instead of error unable to check.

With the early FW you should see an update start when you put power to the Echo from the splash screen on your TV set. It was later that the update option with press "1" to install would appear. If you can't get any update when you start the echo, file a bug report, see if the plug-in can send diagnostics and the plug-in should show you the mac address and IP address (you do all that from the computer not the Echo). The Echo shows the mac address when it says connecting and then when connected will show the IP address for a few seconds before Media Center starts on the Echo.

Support will tell you what to do if you need to "recover" the Echo or if there is some other technique to get it started with old FW.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 pm

JohnW248 wrote:The servers were working again as of 9:30 AM PST on Saturday March 2 when I updated the HW on one of the internal tuners. A little later the Echo web page was returning no update available instead of error unable to check.

With the early FW you should see an update start when you put power to the Echo from the splash screen on your TV set. It was later that the update option with press "1" to install would appear. If you can't get any update when you start the echo, file a bug report, see if the plug-in can send diagnostics and the plug-in should show you the mac address and IP address (you do all that from the computer not the Echo). The Echo shows the mac address when it says connecting and then when connected will show the IP address for a few seconds before Media Center starts on the Echo.

Support will tell you what to do if you need to "recover" the Echo or if there is some other technique to get it started with old FW.
I'm willing to bet that a recover will need to be done because the f/w on this echo is so far behind.. ceton will need to flash a new image from the recovery server for the MAC ID for this echo.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Kmann wrote:I waited to install because I don't have a lot of time available to "troubleshoot"
Now that you have the time.... You might want to read through this. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... t=recovery

Kmann

Post by Kmann » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 am

Well I am finally up and running. Had to do the recovery.

Actually it went easy once I was given access to the recovery. I think this could have been as easy as "if you can ping the address but the page won't open you have a firmware problem. (Ceton should show a screen shot of what the page looks like). At that point if the page won't open immediately allow us access to a well documented (with screen shots) recovery procedure.

At least I know that would have worked for me.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Kmann

Ps maybe need to add a step about temporarily turning off firewall?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:21 am

Kmann wrote:Well I am finally up and running. Had to do the recovery.
Good thing you waited. Back on around Dec 1, 2012, during the first wave, there were so many Echo's trying to update at the same time, they caused a malfunction with the Ceton update servers. When the servers crashed a lot of the Echo's were caught half-updated, and became instant bricks.

Save yourself some grief. After you get finished playing with your Echo tonight, totally unplug it, HDMI, Cat5e, Power, and (Toslink if applicable). This is known as the Extended cold boot. When you hook it back up tomorrow morning, burn it in by leaving it on for 24 hours or so. Don't know why, but others (including myself) have had good results doing this.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Hmm.. I really haven't had to do that procedure but I'm positive it doesn't hurt either.