Can we expect grid guide to be updated ?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
wally007

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can we expect grid guide to be updated ?

Post by wally007 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 am

After the initial euphoria months ago i found myself and my family not using Ceton app at all.

Ive asked my girlfriend why isnt she using Ceton app to schedule the recordings and her response was ( my initial complaint but i forgot about it ) that guide is just too slow and compared to EyeTV iOS , ugly.

I compared the two apps on iPad and Cetons guide does not see to cache anything, and only loads visible channels, times. Any scrolling introduces loading , there is no horizontal scrolling and finally compared to EyeTV guide is very static. EyeTV loads up whole day for all channels, caches the data, and scrolling, zooming in and out is a dream.

Also Ceton app is obviously not made for Ipad ( this might be the reason why its not as nice as eyetv ) but i seem to remember that it was said that ipad version was coming after the initial bug fixing was done.

Are there any plans to improve these areas in near future ? im setting up new Virtual TV server and Id rather use supported windows platform but if noone in the house will use it, ill bite the bullet and install one VM with MacOS and EyeTV.

thanks

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm

I'd like to see some performance and UI enhancements here as well. My guess they're heavily involved with the Echo Andriod interface so not much added development until they go GA with that (*pure speculation*).

I agree with all of the above... not to say the guide is terrible - it is good, but could be better! One minor annoyance is that even if you scroll to a set of channels, loading doesn't actually take effect until the the momemtum of the guide has completely stopped so this adds to the delay...vs. loading when the channel is immediately in view. This is with iOS, at least.

The interesting thing is that after you load a particular channel's data and scroll forward in time, nothing is further loaded - essentially, no loading necessary to move hours ahead for the same channel. IMO, it would better to load any future time/date upon requirement and pre-load all of the current 1-2hr of the existing channels from initially loading the guide.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 pm

+1 for caching and horizontal scrolling

wally007

Post by wally007 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Loading whole guide data for ALL channels for any given calendar date should be trivial even on low RAM device such as iPad1. I monitored memory consumption with eyeTV and when loading guide data for 30 channels, it took only extra 5Mb of memory.

I can see that guide might be fine on iPhone but for iPad its not something I would use. This is something ElGato has gotten on spot correct (which cannot be said about their HTPC app) which i think should be looked at and if possible improved & implemented.

thanks

tad

Post by tad » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:53 pm

grinchy wrote:I'd like to see some performance and UI enhancements here as well. My guess they're heavily involved with the Echo Andriod interface so not much added development until they go GA with that (*pure speculation*).

I agree with all of the above... not to say the guide is terrible - it is good, but could be better! One minor annoyance is that even if you scroll to a set of channels, loading doesn't actually take effect until the the momemtum of the guide has completely stopped so this adds to the delay...vs. loading when the channel is immediately in view. This is with iOS, at least.

The interesting thing is that after you load a particular channel's data and scroll forward in time, nothing is further loaded - essentially, no loading necessary to move hours ahead for the same channel. IMO, it would better to load any future time/date upon requirement and pre-load all of the current 1-2hr of the existing channels from initially loading the guide.
+1 re: momentum loading

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:01 am

This is a good idea. Please put in a feature request for whole-day guide caching on the tracker..

xnappo

gabrielcab

Post by gabrielcab » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Agree, please make the grid faster.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 pm

I believe that all of these requests were previously submitted on the Ceton Tracker. I agree wholeheartedly that the guide should be more configurable, and allow the USER to choose how much guide data is cached. The horizontal scrolling thing would be great, and has already been requested. It would be awesome if the cache had settings that were different for when you are connected to the same local network as the PC, vs. WAN. When I'm outside my LAN, I want a quick response... and the limited Guide data makes sense. But, when I'm at home, it would be nice to see more info.

There has also been a request submitted to allow the user to configure the number of rows and columns. The rows/columns work fine on a smartphone with a small screen, but not on a tablet or phone with a large screen and high resolution.

That said, I must admit that I don't use My Media Center much... but it sure comes in handy when I'm away from home and want to schedule a recording!

wally007

Post by wally007 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:11 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I believe that all of these requests were previously submitted on the Ceton Tracker. I agree wholeheartedly that the guide should be more configurable, and allow the USER to choose how much guide data is cached.
OK then, thanks for that. I'll plan my Server with EyeTV in mind since it seems Ceton has taken on more projects that they can handle to reasonably support and get to the level to compete with others.