HDHomerun Prime vs infiniTV USB Tuner?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
docluv01

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomerun Prime vs infiniTV USB Tuner?

Post by docluv01 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 am

anyone using hdhomerun prime with a dual core atom pc?

I have the infinitv usb, and although it works well, ive recently been interested in sharing tuners with other pc in teh house, to be viewed on big screens.

mysetup is as follows:
CPU Integrated Intel Atom D2700 2.13 GHz Dual-Core
Chipset Intel NM10 Express
Onboard Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M (512MB)

4 GB ram

it seems to be workign fine with teh usb tuner. this will be a dedicated pc.

The guy from silicon said that encrypted programming may put a toll on the cpu. BUT, I havent seen that with the usb tuner (cablecard).

any guidance would be appreciated!

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Ok, I know this question was asked a million times, I have seen people with mixed results.

I just wanted to find out if anyone has used a Zotac?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:39 pm

All CableCARD tuners are "network tuners". Your PC sees the tuner as a network interface. The difference is that the internal PCIe card will use less CPU than the USB and Ethernet tuners. This is because your CPU works harder to pass data through the USB and Ethernet controllers than it does to pass data through PCIe.

But, if it works OK with a USB tuner now, it will probably work OK with an Ethernet-based tuner like the HD HomeRun Prime. You could buy one and return it if it doesn't work.

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks, that was my question. I was tryign to get an understanding of CPU load between usb and network tuner.

I'll post my findings...i'll go out at lunch and pickup a hd prime :)

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:51 pm

I had a D510 system (dual core 1.66GHz Atom) when I first setup my Prime tuners... It could handle the live TV feed just fine, but overall it had the potential to struggle with high definition from any source. 720P was fine, but 1080P/I was not. You have a higher clock speed and better graphics with yours so, it may work just fine. Like barnabas1969 says - if USB works, networked should work. And if HD video in general works well, network streamed HD TV should work.

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks!

What do you think of this system? I have a spare one of these layign around too...

Intel Atom N330 1.6 GHz Dual-Core
Chipset NVIDIA® ION
Onboard Video NVIDIA ION graphics processor

The Zotac claims it can do HD...but not sure how this graphics card compares to teh other one....
Doctor Feelgood wrote:I had a D510 system (dual core 1.66GHz Atom) when I first setup my Prime tuners... It could handle the live TV feed just fine, but overall it had the potential to struggle with high definition from any source. 720P was fine, but 1080P/I was not. You have a higher clock speed and better graphics with yours so, it may work just fine. Like barnabas1969 says - if USB works, networked should work. And if HD video in general works well, network streamed HD TV should work.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:35 pm

It is hard to say... Mine had Intel's GMA 3150 integrated video, which I would say is way weaker than either integrated video you have to work with. Integrated can work - as I am using Intel HD (2000?) video from a G620 dual core processor now and the 1080 HD is excellent.

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 pm

I geuss ill just have to try it, haha

I have to say, the one I did test, I kept the install clean, no virus protection nothing. Simply OS, all HW drivers, and thats it!

I'll post results...thanks again to everyone!
Doctor Feelgood wrote:It is hard to say... Mine had Intel's GMA 3150 integrated video, which I would say is way weaker than either integrated video you have to work with. Integrated can work - as I am using Intel HD (2000?) video from a G620 dual core processor now and the 1080 HD is excellent.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm

nVidia Ion with dual core 310 worked for 2x ATI DCT's. It also worked with 1 extender, but you could only watch either on TV connected to HTPC or on the extender, not both at the same time. You need a "real" processor to make extenders work.
docluv01 wrote:Thanks!

What do you think of this system? I have a spare one of these layign around too...

Chipset NVIDIA® ION

The Zotac claims it can do HD...but not sure how this graphics card compares to teh other one....
Doctor Feelgood wrote:I had a D510 system (dual core 1.66GHz Atom) when I first setup my Prime tuners... It could handle the live TV feed just fine, but overall it had the potential to struggle with high definition from any source. 720P was fine, but 1080P/I was not. You have a higher clock speed and better graphics with yours so, it may work just fine. Like barnabas1969 says - if USB works, networked should work. And if HD video in general works well, network streamed HD TV should work.

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks, yeah I already decided I wasn't going to use extenders. Just use dedicated htpcs

Thanks again!
blueiedgod wrote:nVidia Ion with dual core 310 worked for 2x ATI DCT's. It also worked with 1 extender, but you could only watch either on TV connected to HTPC or on the extender, not both at the same time. You need a "real" processor to make extenders work.
docluv01 wrote:Thanks!

Chipset NVIDIA® ION

olyteddy

Post by olyteddy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:48 am

Running Win8 Media Center on an Acer Aspire R3610 (2 core Atom, ION graphiccs, 4GB Ram) and the actual playback is fine. The UI stuff is a bit slow and shaky though.