WMC on Xbox keeps resetting settings

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
rencjm04

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Xbox keeps resetting settings

Post by rencjm04 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a ceton device that is carrying live tv to my HTPC. I then have this connected via GB Ethernet to my Xbox and everything is running smoothly.

There is only one issue. The xbox keeps resetting my settings everytime I turn it off and back on. For example I'll be on the HD channels in the 500's. Turn it off and on, it will reset me to channel 2. It also does this with my recording settings and my channel color guide (puts sports and movies in different colors)

I've tried reinstalling the xbox as an extender and that didn't help. I've looked EVERYWHERE for help and I'm hoping someone here had the same problem and fixed it somehow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:51 pm

From what I have seen, it depends on how you shutdown the XBox, what state it was in when the shutdown occurred, whether the XBox is setup to launch directly into WMC at startup and whether the tuner that extender was last used with had been used by the main PC or another extender (live or recording) while that XBox was shutdown. Also, if your system uses a tuning adapter, that particular channel may have been reassigned (not sure of the proper term here) while that XBox was off.

Does the same "loss of previous channel" occur if you tune to a non-switched channel, say a local channel, when you cycle the XBox off and on?

rencjm04

Post by rencjm04 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:59 pm

jaimeknapp wrote:From what I have seen, it depends on how you shutdown the XBox, what state it was in when the shutdown occurred, whether the XBox is setup to launch directly into WMC at startup and whether the tuner that extender was last used with had been used by the main PC or another extender (live or recording) while that XBox was shutdown. Also, if your system uses a tuning adapter, that particular channel may have been reassigned (not sure of the proper term here) while that XBox was off.

Does the same "loss of previous channel" occur if you tune to a non-switched channel, say a local channel, when you cycle the XBox off and on?
You bring up some interesting points. I have WMC starting automatically with my xbox. I then shut down the xbox from WMC just as I would with a DVR box from a cable provider.

I'm not sure about the tuning adapter question.

Yes the "loss of previous channel and or settings) always occurs when I shut the xbox off. It does NOT occur on my computer though, for example when I bring up WMC on my computer all of my settings are still there.

rencjm04

Post by rencjm04 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:59 pm

no one else has had this problem?

rencjm04

Post by rencjm04 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Still no help?

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55 pm

I thought I would at least reaffirm that you aren't alone, I have a couple random issues with one of my Xbox extenders similar to yours (not exactly though -- media library always need to be re-associated and the guide always shows all channels rather than the ones I have setup on my HTPC). I have tried re-installing the extender, changing settings and then shutting down WMC from the menu rather than turning off the xbox directly -- no luck.

I have 3 xboxes and only one has a problem so I moved it to the least critical tv in the house and have lived with the problem.

rencjm04

Post by rencjm04 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Yes it sounds like we are having the same issues. All settings go back to the default when the xbox restarts.

Unfortunately for me, I only have 1 Xbox that I'm using as my main source of live TV.

If you figure anything out let me know. I feel like I've tried everything, but it is probably something that I'm just not seeing.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:26 pm

If you have another Windows 7 machine on your network, you could try pairing the XBox with that, and see if the problem persists - that would at least indicate whether the problem needs to be fixed on the XBox, or on the PC. Windows Media Center is in all versions of Windows 7 (except Starter), so even if you don't use the usually use WMC on the machine, it might be worth your while testing it.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:15 am

foxwood wrote:If you have another Windows 7 machine on your network, you could try pairing the XBox with that, and see if the problem persists - that would at least indicate whether the problem needs to be fixed on the XBox, or on the PC.
+1. If you don't have another Windows 7 system at your disposal, ask someone to bring over a Win 7 laptop and pair your Xbox to that for testing.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct