Netflix in Media Center?

nathagt

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix in Media Center?

Post by nathagt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Sorry if I've missed this. I've spent about an hour reading through various forums online including several here but I'm still not clear to me.

Does the Netflix plugin for Media Center still exist and if so, does it work? I know they killed Internet TV but it seems like some folks still have netflix working. I use My Movies and I had it hiding the default "Movies" menu strip. I always just accessed netflix through internet TV. Today I decided to look for netflix so I unchecked the option to hide "Movies." No netflix though. Do I need to run a netflix plugin installer? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:22 pm

It just automatically showed up for me. I don't remember having to do anything to download or install it. That being said, I never use it because it sucks, maxing out at 720p. All my other netflix streaming devices do full 1080p and look a heck of a lot better. If you have any way to stream netflix outside of Media Center, I highly recommend doing that. If you have a 720p TV or poor eyesight or just don't care if netflix looks bad, then HERE'show you might be able to get the netflix plugin.

I've heard that netflix is 1080p on Win 8, but I'm not sure if the WMC plugin really is or not.

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Sometimes it takes a guide update for the netflix option to appear. But if youre in the US, it should appear in the default movies strip. You may want to try manually forcing an update in Settings>TV>Guide>Update, I believe.

I like the plugin. It does get me all the movies, and in HD. It doesn't do captions or surround sound though, unlike the netflix website. But the plugin is neglected... so if it stops working, it takes a village to get someone to tell netflix to fix it.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

So I figured this out but remembered that I never posted back. Just in case anyone else has the same problem, I use My Movies and I was hiding the built in 'Movies' library. That's why it wasn't showing up.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed May 29, 2013 9:26 pm

I just used Media Center Studio to rearrange the Movies strip so that Netflix is still there and all of my Media Browser sub-categories are now on that line. I removed the stock 7MC Movie icon only and all works well. I had the same problem where I removed the whole strip and Netflix went away as well...which was unintentional. Had to restore the whole Movie strip first then used MCS to remove just the Movies icon everything else stayed. It was sort of a pain to setup MCS correctly to do it but eventually got it working. Someone else claims that MC Reset Toolbox works as good or better. I haven't tried it yet to see. Just thought I'd mention since I went through the same issue that you had when I hid Movies strip.

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Thu May 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I just posted in another thread about MC reset Toolbox working well. That wasn't always the case, just a few months ago I was having a terrible time getting any program to save the changes I made to the start menu. I gave up on MCS because the changes never seemed to take. The new version of MC Reset Toolbox did the job the first time.