Wake on Lan for HTPC

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
B_Pay

HTPC Specs: Show details

Wake on Lan for HTPC

Post by B_Pay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 am

I have the intellitv tuner in my HTPC and no extenders. So my understanding is that the HTPC with my intellitv tuner card can not wake up because of the "mac bridge" connection. I have come to this conclusion because I have done everything that I can think of to get the WoL function to work and have had no luck. In addition to this I stumbled upon this video and it appears to confirm my suspicions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc55t1a3oOI

So the question I have is will this "my media center app" once fully operational allow me to wake up the HTPC remotely and resolve the above issue? Or am I gonna have to buy another network adaptor card to get this thing to wake up.

If someone knowledgable about the reasons why it won't work can provide the technical reasons....def interested.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:04 am

So I watched the video and Wake On Lan has absolutely nothing to do with the tuner card that you are using and a lot of his information does not seem correct at all. Additionally all of my WoL testing was done on several machines with infiniTV cards. Wake On Lan must be supported by your Motherboard and also the Network adapter that you have installed. You would need to enable Wake On Lan in your Bios and also ensure it is enabled in your Network Adapters properties to accept the "magic wake packet". Once you do this you could use the my media center app to wake your computer.

I have a setup video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2oQLQZoDl8

The Wake On Lan inside of the My Media Center Apps is only of LAN though so when you are wifi inside of the house. They do not support "Wake on WAN", which would be over cellular to wake you computer.

I hope this helps clear it up. Anyone else is free to chime in as well incase I missed something or read it wrong.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

B_Pay

Post by B_Pay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Thank you for taking a look and providing your input. My network adaptor settings and motherboard support it. I downloaded the latest drivers but not yet updated the BIOS yet. The adapter and motherboard and are set appropriately per the instructions I have followed here:

http://remotepotatoforums.fatattitude.c ... .php?t=568

Even still I can't get it to work. I also took special note of the following directions and confirmed that the packet is not being received.

"Extra step.
Before setting up WOL via Internet, but after setting up Bios & networkcard, it might be a good idea to check first wether WOL is working on the target pc or not without bringing the internet into the equation. A few steps & utilities are helpfull in this process.

Try sending a WOL/Magic packet from another PC inside your home network (if you have any). This will ensure WOL is working before proceeding to the Dyndns steps. You can do this by going to http://wakeonlan.me/ from another pc in your LAN (or your smartphone connected to your Wifi router). Type in the IP address and MAC address obtained in step one and click "Wake up my pc!". You're target pc should wake up.

If that doesn't work, you can startup your target pc and install Depicus Wake on Lan Monitor to make some checks. This utility should show WOL packets arrivI ing at the pc when sent from another pc. If packets arrive, you know that the packets are succesfully sent from the other computer, and successfully received by the PC. If the receiving PC still doens't wake up when packets are sent, check the Bios and networkcard settings again."

The MAC bridge does not have the same ability to set up the power management settings as does my network card. I don't know what this Mac Bridge is and why its necessary. Can i remove it and will my intellitv tuner card still work? The guy in the video appears to be having the same issue as me. I am totally at a loss and any other suggestions you may have is much appreciated.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 pm

The MAC bridge is not relevant. You're going to be sending a WoL packet to the "outside" of your LAN card - it doesn't matter what's layered on top on the "inside".

What other PCs do you have on your network? Do you have an Android phone?

B_Pay

Post by B_Pay » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:33 pm

I have a Laptop, Ultrabook, and my HTPC....all running Win7 home premium and networked together. My phone is a Samsung S3, android.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 pm

B_Pay wrote:I have a Laptop, Ultrabook, and my HTPC....all running Win7 home premium and networked together.
If you sleep the htpc, and then try to access it via the Home group on one of the laptops, does it wake? If you sleep the laptops, as and then try to access them through the Home group, do they wake?
My phone is a Samsung S3, android.
There are some WoL utilities available in the Play Store too.

B_Pay

Post by B_Pay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 am

"If you sleep the htpc, and then try to access it via the Home group on one of the laptops, does it wake? If you sleep the laptops, as and then try to access them through the Home group, do they wake?"

No the htpc is not accessible while its sleeping...either are the laptops.

"There are some WoL utilities available in the Play Store too."

Yes, actually downloaded two different ones and could not get them to work.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:32 am

It sounds like your PC isn't set up for WoL. I just read that WoL is off by default for Win7 laptops, which is probably why waking the laptops didn't work.

I'm sorry, I don't have a good recommendation for a guide for setting up WoL - there's lots of them out there, but I didn't have to follow any of them, my system just worked (too well, sometimes - it used to wake when I didn't expect it).