State of the Echo #3

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
ajhieb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ajhieb » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:21 am

Just posted on Facebook:
ceton wrote:Are you signed up for the Ceton newsletter? If not, you can sign up here to keep in the loop on news, announcements and specials. https://www.facebook.com/CetonCorp/app_100265896690345

Ceton Corporation | Get Newsletter
Ceton is developing the next-generation of digital entertainment products and services. From our award-winning InfiniTV line of cable tuners for the PC to a hot new Ceton Echo media center extender and My Media Center mobile apps, Ceton is your go-to source for the best in home entertainment techno...
Thank heavens. Finally they've found a way to communicate to us when new developments arise with the hot new Echo.

wanabefree

Post by wanabefree » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 am

I say leave it open, I need something to read and vent about. As someone else said it will just end up somewhere else and Ceton really needs to see this stuff. Just maybe they will eventually do something about it and actually post some sort of updates. Most of use are paying customers who deserve a place to say it like we see it.

mariob33

Post by mariob33 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:04 am

Why close it? Sometimes it's refreshing to just let people vent.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:57 am

Leave it open as it chronicles the time since last update and the consumer frustration. It's better to have a single thread of frustration vs popup threads. The pop up compliant threads would need to be deleted or they would clutter the Echo forum making it difficult to search.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Todays results about a discussion about a discussion are:

Five for lock and four against. One split.

Jury's still out.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm

shortcut3d wrote:Leave it open as it chronicles the time since last update and the consumer frustration. It's better to have a single thread of frustration vs popup threads. The pop up compliant threads would need to be deleted or they would clutter the Echo forum making it difficult to search.
If I may say my 2c, whilst I see a benefit leaving the thread open to allow members to say their piece, it's really just the same things being said over and over again. To that end, it serves no meaningful 'search' purpose or for that matter any purpose other than lighting fires and resulting in moderator action to edit posts and request people calm down.

As it stands now, I personally don't want to read through the posts on this thread, but I am required to moderate it and therefore myself and the team have to.

If it were locked with a post at the end explaining why and that it would be reopened as soon as information from Ceton regarding the Echo comes forth it would seem to be a better solution than the position we are in right now.

Either way we will go with the general consensus. If the vote is close then we will leave the thread open. Does that sound fair and acceptable?

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:10 pm

I found this amusing: I logged on this morning, and saw there were four new pages to this thread. Holy crap, I thought, some news!

Silly me.
Dean L. Surkin

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:13 pm

^ There you go. Exactly why all this arguing is wasting members time.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Way past time for a lock - this has already been done (twice) for Echo threads on AVS' HTPC forum for example because there was nothing new being added and we all argued about irrelevant stuff. There haven't been any new threads started lately there.

This forum is no different.
Last edited by slowbiscuit on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:27 pm

I vote for not locking it....

If it gets locked, it will just look like they are trying to silence those who are unhappy about the whole thing.... the Echo itself, and the fact that Ceton is taking so long to communicate...anything.... f/w updates, Android, 1080p fix...etc....

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:48 pm

+6/-5/<>1

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Before it gets locked, and while it's getting attention, is there any chance of choosing forums to appear on the New Posts page, or at least excluding ones that are devoted to products I don't own?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 pm

mariob33 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:BTW, my echo has been on for about a month now without a reboot or reset or network error.. ever since I went back to using the ceton supplied USB cable. This is the truth. It was on with the TV it is connected to off for three days while I was out of town and worked like a charm upon my return. It has been run for hours on end displaying video and audio too. Of course, this is Live/Recorded TV and not locally stored mkv Blu-ray content.
Maybe you mean HDMI not USB...
I mean the ceton supplied USB power cable.

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:52 pm

lock it

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:54 pm

The discussions are often ridiculous, yes, but I also do not see the purpose of locking it. To save the Internet 20kB a day? To save the mods a few minutes a day? It's an online forum for crying out loud, not an abandoned house next to an elementary school.

Also, I think it's a good thing to have a place for Ceton to see customer frustration. We all know they are reading this, and are probably embarrassed (as they should be). Maybe it's one more motivator for them.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:07 pm

^ You could take your argument to all the other forums that closed similar Echo threads due to the argumentative posts they spawned. We could just go on and on around in circles talking diddly squat about diddly squit too! ;)

It seems there is a definite 50/50 split.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:10 pm

crawfish wrote:Before it gets locked, and while it's getting attention, is there any chance of choosing forums to appear on the New Posts page, or at least excluding ones that are devoted to products I don't own?
I was looking into that some time ago. We will re-investigate and see if it's possible on pbpBB without gigantic hacks.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:26 pm

mariob33 wrote:I just want my Echo to play DTS :)
Couldn't resist...
Don't we all.

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:46 pm

STC wrote:^ You could take your argument to all the other forums that closed similar Echo threads due to the argumentative posts they spawned. We could just go on and on around in circles talking diddly squat about diddly squit too! ;)
I agree, and I also didn't see the point in locking those threads at the time, either. Aside from personal attacks and outright spam, I don't really see why any thread would be locked. But then again, you're "Staff" on a forum site and may see things differently. If I were running a forum site, I think I'd rather have people using it than have it be quiet, because I locked down every thread that might have started drifting off topic.

I do think that everyone should keep in mind that a lot of Ceton Echo threads tend to end up like this because of the (in)action and silence of Ceton. If you create a product that grossly misses on expectations that you helped fuel, collect money on it, say you're fixing it, and then go radio silent ... I think it's inevitable that more than a few people are going to vent their frustrations wherever there's a critical mass of equally disgruntled users in one place. You (TGB) are a site for WMC enthusiasts, so for better or for worse you're going to see a few disgruntled Ceton Echo users around.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:58 pm

^ You are making points that have been said many times by many members in this thread already. By all means continue to do so.
To put it bluntly,- you are reading a thread that has been moderated heavily from its' inception due to posts that fail to comply with our CoC. That's all.
I'm trying to work with you folks here...
Earlier I asked everyone's thoughts and we seem to have a 50/50 split, slightly more for then against. I'll just work with the numbers for now.