State of the Echo #3

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
ajhieb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ajhieb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:08 pm

richard1980 wrote:
ajhieb wrote:They planned on using Win8 Embedded, but you'll notice to that point it had been developed on Win7 Embedded.

I find it hard to believe that the platform you develop a product on isn't a viable candidate to actually release the product on.
I was only showing the evidence that Ceton was relying on Windows 8. I agree that there's no reason for them to abandon the idea of WES7, but they did.
And thanks for that. I couldn't remember if it had ever been stated by Ceton or if it was just one of those things that had been widely speculated about.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 pm

ajhieb wrote:
haydongreenbutton wrote:
ajhieb wrote:1) How do you know they were relying on Windows 8?
2) Why are you of the opinion that using Win7 Embedded wouldn't have been a viable alternative?
1) I don't know it. But there were a lot of interesting things that point to it such as the Q was in a demo-able state, release timing of the Q, the Win8 release timing, sudden cancellation of the Q when Win8 details became clearer, no Win8 support for the Echo, and finally messages posted here.
2) I'm guessing Microsoft really wanted to kill MC and wasn't interested in licensing it to them for that reason. Look at the support in Win8. Or it could be technical. From what I remember seeing they replaced the MC interface with something nicer. Maybe they had pre-release info about supported APIs they required that aren't available in Win8.
Regardless of what Microsoft's plans for Media Center were, they are still selling Win7 Embedded licenses to anyone who wants to buy them, and they are guaranteeing support for Win7 Embedded (as they do for all of their embedded OSes as the nature of embedded systems demands it) for well over a decade from now.

The only thing that MS isn't guaranteeing is the availability of guide data, and that isn't guaranteed with Win8 either.
Win7 either for that matter.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:57 pm

BTW, my echo has been on for about a month now without a reboot or reset or network error.. ever since I went back to using the ceton supplied USB cable. This is the truth. It was on with the TV it is connected to off for three days while I was out of town and worked like a charm upon my return. It has been run for hours on end displaying video and audio too. Of course, this is Live/Recorded TV and not locally stored mkv Blu-ray content.

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Ceton... give us some idea when we can expect an update that will include android. I paid for this device. I deserve to know when it will actually be useful to me and my family. Thank you.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 pm

When you purchased the Echo, did you enter into a contract with Ceton to receive an update that includes Android? AFAIK, that's not what happens. You made an agreement to purchase the Echo in the condition that it was in at the time, so you deserve to receive exactly what you received. If you don't like what you received, you should return it for a refund. Don't reward Ceton's poor work with your hard-earned money. And if you've had it so long that you can't return it, that's not Ceton's fault...it's yours. You knew the product wasn't satisfying, but you kept it anyway....rewarding Ceton for a job poorly done is not the right answer.

I truly hope those that are not happy with the Echo but are stuck with it end up learning from their mistake. I don't care if we're talking about Ceton, Microsoft, or any other company...bad work doesn't deserve a reward.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm

mods, PLEASE (a) lock this thread, and (b) remove all the...ummmmm...fluff, yeah, that's it, fluff so that maybe newbies could come in and get ACTUAL information from it as they lurk.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:13 pm

adam1991 wrote:mods, PLEASE (a) lock this thread, and (b) remove all the...ummmmm...fluff, yeah, that's it, fluff so that maybe newbies could come in and get ACTUAL information from it as they lurk.
the cynic in me would say .. nevermind.

However, should this thread be locked please let it be from a TGB moderator with a Red username and announce that you were the one who locked it, lest we get a "Why did Ceton lock the thread" thread. :)

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

adam1991 wrote:mods, PLEASE (a) lock this thread, and (b) remove all the...ummmmm...fluff, yeah, that's it, fluff so that maybe newbies could come in and get ACTUAL information from it as they lurk.
+1

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Any more +1's? How about those against?
We could lock it until Ceton has news. That would be one option and quite a welcome one after today :/
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:37 pm

What information, pray tell, do you suppose they might get beyond the link on the first page? Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with the thread being locked. I'm just not sure what you're hoping to accomplish by doing it.

Just saw STC's post. I'd say a lock until Ceton has news would make sense.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:38 pm

adam1991 wrote:so that maybe newbies could come in and get ACTUAL information from it as they lurk.
Information? I'm not sure that there anything useful that could be learned from this thread, especially by a newbie!

mariob33

Post by mariob33 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:45 pm

I just want my Echo to play DTS :)
Couldn't resist...

mariob33

Post by mariob33 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Sammy2 wrote:BTW, my echo has been on for about a month now without a reboot or reset or network error.. ever since I went back to using the ceton supplied USB cable. This is the truth. It was on with the TV it is connected to off for three days while I was out of town and worked like a charm upon my return. It has been run for hours on end displaying video and audio too. Of course, this is Live/Recorded TV and not locally stored mkv Blu-ray content.
Maybe you mean HDMI not USB...

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm

+1 for locking!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Ceton didn't supply a HDMI cable with the Echo, they supplied a USB cable for connecting the device to the power supply.

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 pm

yes a verbal contract, they announced that android would be released to the echo by last christmas, they even called it a christmas present, so wtf are you talking about.

mariob33

Post by mariob33 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:54 pm

foxwood wrote:Ceton didn't supply a HDMI cable with the Echo, they supplied a USB cable for connecting the device to the power supply.
Nope, I got both..but assumed hooking it up to the TV meant via HDMI..

CBO

Post by CBO » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:04 am

Lock it so it will not seems so long between updates from ceton for newbies.

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:05 am

Don't lock this thread. Most of this discussion is completely ridiculous (lawsuit, really?), and while I wish that would stop,I think we'd all agree thread hasn't been useful as a source of Ceton Echo information for many months. No one has a reasonable expectation that posts in this thread will say something new about the Echo. If you close this thread, the discussions going on here will simply go on somewhere else.

However, I think it would be useful to have some sort of "Echo News" thread. Ideally it would be locked, only to reopen when there is official or unofficial news.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:16 am

What happen to the policy of thread splitting. That seems like a better solution, especially for those of us that want to keep picking at ahieb until his head explodes!