2013.211.1642 Beta

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JAS

HTPC Specs: Show details

2013.211.1642 Beta

Post by JAS » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 am

Okay, so I know the update list improved audio stability as the only change, but somehow my video has gotten worse with this beta. It's noticeably grainer now is the best I can explain it and didn't think it was possible but dark scenes look worse. And yes, I have cold reboot (twice) to make sure, etc.

Odd

Improved audio stability

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:43 am

What is the source of the video? Is it the same content as previously viewed?

JAS

Post by JAS » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 am

Same recording. Sound is good, probably better than its been. But this video, the graininess is most noticable on scene changes or sweeps. Almost as if a slight delay. Didn't notice this delay with the 206 beta.

Overall, the sound and video have come a long way. Video is very nice as long as you are watching something with all bright scenes (outdoor, etc). As soon as you watch something that is darker (Arrow for example), out of focus stuff looks cartoonish, etc. But what I call 'color space' issue isn't a new issue, just more pronounced with the ocassional delayed graininess now.

BTW, since last beta, I switched to TOS link to AVR and HDMI direct to TV bypassing the Onky receiver since the startup green screen was a royal pita.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 pm

JAS wrote:Same recording. Sound is good, probably better than its been. But this video, the graininess is most noticable on scene changes or sweeps. Almost as if a slight delay. Didn't notice this delay with the 206 beta.

Overall, the sound and video have come a long way. Video is very nice as long as you are watching something with all bright scenes (outdoor, etc). As soon as you watch something that is darker (Arrow for example), out of focus stuff looks cartoonish, etc. But what I call 'color space' issue isn't a new issue, just more pronounced with the ocassional delayed graininess now.

BTW, since last beta, I switched to TOS link to AVR and HDMI direct to TV bypassing the Onky receiver since the startup green screen was a royal pita.
Does the Onkyo do any video processing? Maybe run the HDMI through the Onkyo again at least for testing purposes and see if the video changes to what you were seeing before. Also, the green screen issue is a start up sequence problem. I leave the echo on and shut down my AVR and HDTV and when powering back up it is in the following order: HDTV then AVR then echo. This way the echo can properly read the EDID.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 pm

I have mine cabled the same using HDMI for the video and Toslink for the sound. I went out to the cabin last weekend, forgot to take the camera, so I had to use the Iphone. Never tried to play mov's on the Echo previously.

129.1538 plays a .mov for a few seconds then crashes and reboots.

211.1642 try's to play the .mov, then crashes and trys to reboot. I say "try's to reboot" because Echo gets stuck/froze at Waiting for Network during the reboot. I also noticed a funny looking screen during the attempt. Not sure what it's called but it's just before, or just after the Ceton splash screen. Haven't been able to get a photo of it yet. What it looks like is a magnified CE1. When it gets stuck/froze at Waiting for Network, I press the off button on the remote, then on again, and it boots up normally.

Not sure if you call this a "bug" or if it's just another one of those "Don't do that!" things

EDIT: this stuck/froze Waiting for Network thing is caused by trying to play a 1 or 2 second .mov. When I play a longer .mov (5 minutes- 15 minutes) Echo just plays it to the end and doesn't crash and reboot. When I say play, it's not really playing, it's more like looking at a very fast slideshow. (estimate) 50 frames>>>>pause>>>>50 frames>>>>pause. Ocasionally it will play a few frames as they were intended to watch.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Who plays a 1 to 2 second .mov on a regular basis?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Who plays a 1 to 2 second .mov on a regular basis?
Do you have kids?

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Can you send us the .mov file?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks Sammy, as always, you are so helpful. I was just trying to post a little feedback on a subject that I thought was unusual. The fact that the Echo even considered attempting to play the file is encouraging to me, and I thought Ceton would welcome the feedback.

Sure Motz! PM?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:02 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Do you have kids?
Adult kids..

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
Thanks Sammy, as always, you are so helpful. I was just trying to post a little feedback on a subject that I thought was unusual. The fact that the Echo even considered attempting to play the file is encouraging to me, and I thought Ceton would welcome the feedback.

Sure Motz! PM?
Oh, I'm sorry. What actually produces *.mov files anyhow? I basically play *.wtv from WMC recordings and *.mkv from my Blu-ray and DVD rips. I don't have any *.mov files in my library nor do I have any content that short.. typically my content is 30 minutes or more long.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Sammy2 wrote:What actually produces *.mov files anyhow?
These mov's were created with an Iphone. I don't usually use a phone for a camera, but as it turned out, I had to use it this time. My mother mistakenly thought that she had to press something on the phone, which is why we ended up with all these 1,2, and 3 second clips. You are correct though, it is unusual to have such short video's in a collection.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 pm

At least it is something for ceton to test. I think that there may be a need to playback videos shot with a phone for some people that use WMC and/or the echo. I'm sorry if I came off as rude before..

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Oh, I'm sorry. What actually produces *.mov files anyhow?
Lot's of digital camera's record .MOV files. And by their nature, such clips are often only a few seconds long.

Yes, some people do browse their photos on their TVs, and they'll try their video clips there too.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Motz wrote:Can you send us the .mov file?
I submitted the mov file. [#TBU-668-22969]: Echo and mov's

JAS

Post by JAS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 am

Sammy2 wrote:
JAS wrote:Same recording. Sound is good, probably better than its been. But this video, the graininess is most noticable on scene changes or sweeps. Almost as if a slight delay. Didn't notice this delay with the 206 beta.

Does the Onkyo do any video processing? Maybe run the HDMI through the Onkyo again at least for testing purposes and see if the video changes to what you were seeing before. Also, the green screen issue is a start up sequence problem. I leave the echo on and shut down my AVR and HDTV and when powering back up it is in the following order: HDTV then AVR then echo. This way the echo can properly read the EDID.
My older Onkyo does no video processing. It's merely an HDMI 1.1 repeater which so happens to cause non family friendly green screens for the echo (although I haven't tried with this beta since there was no mention of green screen improvements). Thus the bypass. You have to remember at 71 inches, a 720p pictures flaws at 15 feet are very noticable. The sound is shaping up nicely and I still have hope that Ceton will increase the colorspace and give us native 1080i output. When I'm looking at the WMC main screen and can see the blue shade color gradient transitions harshly that make it look like a PC in 256 color mode, its just not right. I would like to know from Ceton if it's a hardware limitation (1080i and better colorspace) or if its just coding that they are working on. Because if its a hardware limitation with no hope of fix, as much as really like the Echo, the picture (especially dark scenes) are just annoying to watch and I'll just go back to my miniATX Atom PC running Win7 MC which doesn't have any color or res issues via HDMI. Nor greenscreens. Hate to do that because of the small fan noise (heat) compared Echo and the other advantages of using an extender.

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Anybody else notice huge increase in stuttering with this firmware?
Dean L. Surkin

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Dean L. Surkin wrote:Anybody else notice huge increase in stuttering with this firmware?
No. Have noticed the color is "off a bit". Have you cold booted the Echo since doing the firmware upgrade?

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Dean L. Surkin wrote:Anybody else notice huge increase in stuttering with this firmware?
I have. I am seeing more "Network Issues" messages pop up. I don't know if I'd call it huge yet, but I don't use the Echo as my main yet.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 pm

No. What content are you playing when experiencing this stutter?