Newbie Echo. Weird network issue

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
docluv01

HTPC Specs: Show details

Newbie Echo. Weird network issue

Post by docluv01 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 am

Hey Guys

Ok, SO i'm a newbie...

Finally got this working, and I noticed a few things:

1) WHen you turn it off, it literally turns the unit off, and you have to wait for it to boot back up. I'm guessing most people just hit the stop button, and leave it on?

2) WHenever I turn the unit "off", my pc nic card locks up. I have to disable and re-enable. Is this normal? I have both plugged into a linksys 8 port gigabit switch. (NIC is onboard Intel Gigabit from Asus MB)

3) Am I better off putting my extenders on a separate LAN? My pc has 2 nics...I can use 2nd nic for just Extenders...(using some kind of dhcp prog)

Thanks in advance!

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 am

1.) I personally just hit the stop button and leave it on (I also do this with htpc). Currently there is no "sleep" type mode which would keep the active connection.
2.) That is a bit odd, i would make sure you have the latest NIC driver from asus's website.
3.) Not positive, that stuff is a bit over my head, perhaps other can chime in with networking advice.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

hub1

Post by hub1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:33 am

Motz wrote:1.) I personally just hit the stop button and leave it on (I also do this with htpc). Currently there is no "sleep" type mode which would keep the active connection.
2.) That is a bit odd, i would make sure you have the latest NIC driver from asus's website.
3.) Not positive, that stuff is a bit over my head, perhaps other can chime in with networking advice.
Hey Motz, when I leave the echo on and turn the TV and AVR off, then turn everything on the echo seems to "warm" boot. it's as if it shuts down when it no longer sees an HDMI connection.
I'm using a Harmony One remote and use WMC SE in my programming for the echo. How do you have yours set up?

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 am

hub1 wrote:
Motz wrote:1.) I personally just hit the stop button and leave it on (I also do this with htpc). Currently there is no "sleep" type mode which would keep the active connection.
Hey Motz, when I leave the echo on and turn the TV and AVR off, then turn everything on the echo seems to "warm" boot. it's as if it shuts down when it no longer sees an HDMI connection.
I'm using a Harmony One remote and use WMC SE in my programming for the echo. How do you have yours set up?
So does your tv just output a "no signal" for the echo? Does changing input on the receiver fix it? I used to have this issue with my HTPC on my previous samsung tv + sony reciever, I programmed my harmony to swap inputs when I started the activity from what i remember. It was either that or I told my Harmony that my TV took a bit longer (like 2 more seconds) to start up before starting the receiver. It has been a while though i will have to pull up my harmony config. My echo is hooked directly up to my tv here at the office though so no receiver in the middle.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

hub1

Post by hub1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 am

No, it's as if it was starting up from the off state. I skips the Ceton screen and starts with the screen with the IP address, then media center splash and then live tv. I have the echo set to start in live tv.
Maybe it's a timing issue. I'll play around with the Harmony settings in the morning. Have to spend some time with the wifey ;-)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:55 am

docluv01 wrote:Hey Guys

Ok, SO i'm a newbie...

Finally got this working, and I noticed a few things:

1) WHen you turn it off, it literally turns the unit off, and you have to wait for it to boot back up. I'm guessing most people just hit the stop button, and leave it on?

2) WHenever I turn the unit "off", my pc nic card locks up. I have to disable and re-enable. Is this normal? I have both plugged into a linksys 8 port gigabit switch. (NIC is onboard Intel Gigabit from Asus MB)

3) Am I better off putting my extenders on a separate LAN? My pc has 2 nics...I can use 2nd nic for just Extenders...(using some kind of dhcp prog)

Thanks in advance!
Make sure your NIC drivers are up to date.

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Ok Guys, checked all NIC drivers, everythign is up to date

WOke up this morning, and saw that the Ceton had rebooted itself.

Could it be I have a bad unit? I find it very hard that my nic coudl be bad, as this issue only happens when my Ceton turns "off". Which it seems to do by itself and on its own...

ALso, if/when I reboot the Ceton, takes a few tries before it can get on the network....

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 am

I know you mention that the drivers have been updated, but I would recommend to get the latest driver directly from Intels site. Many of the MB manufacturers are still offering drivers lower than version 17.6 which has fixes that may be relevant for this issue. I understand why they do this (to first properly vet the drives probably). The latest Intel driver for the Chipsets (as of this time 18.0) can be downloaded from
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... nloadType=

BTW: even Intels update feature offers older drivers with their own boards....
Time is on my side.