Intermittent "Network Issue"

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
francorosso

HTPC Specs: Show details

Intermittent "Network Issue"

Post by francorosso » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Every once in a while I get the message "Network Issue" on my Echo while watching TV and the screen freezes, or goes back to the WMC menu. If I tune the network I ALWAYS get firewalled green. This issue doesn't happen often, but there is absolutely no reason why it should do this. Both my InfiniTV PC and the Echo connect to the same 10/100/1000 switch, and I've never had any issues with the numerous other toys that connect to my wired network (SONOS, Xbox, multiple DVD players, five PC's, one TiVo).
So I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and/or if anyone has any tips to stop this from happening. I realize there are thousands of things that can cause network issues but I don't think I have anything obviously wrong with my setup. The only thing that I wonder about is that I have my Cat5 cable running in a conduit from the attic next to some power wires. Wondering if running next to household 120V power lines for about 50 ft could cause intermittent issues with the network.

Frank

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 pm

What NIC is in the host HTPC? Is the f/w for the NIC up to date?

Is that cabling Cat5 or Cat5e? That makes a difference. Cat5 can be subjected to cross-talk, especially from alternating current that is typical in household wiring as it is not properly shieled. Can you move them or separate them or possibly shield the network cable?

There is one particular router that is giving fits with the echo. I don't remember which one it is but I think it was a Linksys model. Maybe Eric will fill in the details on that.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Sammy2 wrote:There is one particular router that is giving fits with the echo. I don't remember which one it is but I think it was a Linksys model. Maybe Eric will fill in the details on that.
That would be the Netgear WNDR3700. And it doesn't just mess up the Echo - it interferes with other brands of Extender too.

francorosso

Post by francorosso » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

The cabling is all Cat5e, I think. I know 2/4 are, and the other half might be. I had two boxes of Cat 5 and I pulled two of each type from the attic to the basement. I'll check when I get home and update, along with the NIC in my new Gateway HTPC (off the shelf from Best Buy). My router is the Actiontec 420 RevE, and the switch is a 24 port that I just purchased, it's not a Netgear.
I'll get back to this tonight after I check my system.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 pm

francorosso wrote:The cabling is all Cat5e, I think. I know 2/4 are, and the other half might be. I had two boxes of Cat 5 and I pulled two of each type from the attic to the basement. I'll check when I get home and update, along with the NIC in my new Gateway HTPC (off the shelf from Best Buy). My router is the Actiontec 420 RevE, and the switch is a 24 port that I just purchased, it's not a Netgear.
I'll get back to this tonight after I check my system.
Can you remove all the bloatware from the Gateway HTPC as that might be slowing down your network speeds. Also find out what NIC it has on it so you can download the driver for it.

You might need a gig router or at least get a gig switch and plug everything into that except the up-link from the switch to the router of course.

francorosso

Post by francorosso » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Ok, it's definitely a gig switch and both the extenders and the HTPC are connected directly to it. I still have to check the driver for the NIC. As far as bloatware I was pretty amazed at the lack of it but I will check and see what's running.
Thanks!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm going to go with the issue being the use of Cat5 cabling next to electrical wiring but it could be your NIC too.

nick

Post by nick » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:56 am

I see the same intermittent "network issue" on both Echo and 360. It appears to go away after a reboot of the WMC HTPC.

HavinFunCO

Post by HavinFunCO » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 am

I'm seeing this issue too. It's not a "Network" issue on my network or host PC (20+ years Network and Server Admin). My guess is the extender is going out to check firmware on the web, or something in its' DHCP process is screwed up, and never comes back. I don't think it should do this EVER without a user directive. A static IP would be good. The data from the PC to the Echo via a switch is UNICAST (non-Routed), so any router SHOULDN'T MATTER. While I was typing this, I had an active PING with <1ms response times, and then boom! Dead. I'm going to start a network sniff to see what's going on (if possible). I need a HUB to pickup the traffic, or access to a smart switch.
(Update 2/23) - Updated to newly released Betas on both InfiniTV USB and Echo. No "Network Issue" yet. SD channel issues: Grainy/large black border on all 4 sides/jittery video (jumps up/down a few scan lines). If the SD issues are not resolved, I'll have to return the Echo and go a different direction.