Friday 2/22 = RMA day

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
vert18

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by vert18 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:53 am

about sums it up for me kingwr

i paid 179.00 to beta test for ceton

I really want to like the echo..
get it stable first

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:05 pm

@rtoledo2002: Do NOT revert to 32-bit Windows. The majority of the users here on this forum are running 64 bits just fine. If you plan to run more than 2 extenders simultaneously, you NEED 64 bit Windows so that you can utilize more than 4GB of RAM. Since you are planning to run 5 extenders, you should have 8GB of RAM in the machine, and 64 bit Windows.

cncb

Post by cncb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm

I didn't quite make RMA Day but decided to send these back now. They can't/won't commit to anything (DTS and proper MKV support are my requirements) and I can't justify having $500 sunk into these any longer with just a few screenshots and vague promises to hold me over.

This whole thing was a mess from the start. It's ironic that they didn't even bother letting Amazon know they had an extended return period so even the return didn't "work right" (I had to contact Amazon at Ceton's request and the CS rep acted like he was doing me a favor by letting me return it as a "one-time exception" to their policy). I hope Ceton can deliver for the rest of you but unfortunately I won't be surprised if they don't.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:00 pm

I completely agree with cncb. This was a mess from day one. I hope Ceton stays in business and fulfills their promise. But the "beta" test was a poor excuse for a beta, the the "release" was too. If I owned Ceton, I'd be beating my employees daily for such a sorry excuse for a beta/release. The device should have never shipped in that condition. I can understand a beta device that has a few bugs, but... generally... a beta device has full release functionality. The beta testers are supposed to find the bugs that were not detected in alpha. There is NO WAY that this device was tested in alpha by Ceton employees without finding the bugs that existed at the beginning of the "beta". They had to know about the problems prior to shipping the beta devices.

Then, they went on to ship "release" units that were, in my opinion, barely (and probably not even) worthy of a beta!

Then, FOUR MONTHS down the road... the thing still crashes?!?!? And you fan boys (I'm talking to you, Sammy) are defending them???? Ridiculous. There is no excuse. The Echo should have done AT LEAST as much as the existing extenders at release. It didn't. It still doesn't, two months after release!

I want Ceton to be successful. I will buy another Echo (or 3 or 4) in the future, if they prove to work at least as well as a Linksys or HP extender. Until that time, Ceton does not deserve my loyalty. I wanted a STABLE extender that boots QUICKLY, and plays EVERYTHING that the existing Linksys and HP extenders can play. The Echo doesn't do ANY of those three things! I can't live with a device that crashes after running for a short period of time. The USED extenders that I have are stable! I already have extenders that take about a minute to boot. Why would I pay MORE for a device that boots just as slow? I have extenders that play Recorded TV perfectly! Why would I want a device that doesn't?

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 am

I got my ticket opened before the deadline (on Wednesday). However, no telling how long it will take to actually return it. I received an email from Ceton on Thursday saying that they were "reaching out" to Amazon to facilitate a return. I informed them that I didn't purchase it from Amazon, I purchased it from Ceton. It was just fulfilled by Amazon. But Ceton has gone silent, so I still have the Echo.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I completely agree with cncb. This was a mess from day one. I hope Ceton stays in business and fulfills their promise. But the "beta" test was a poor excuse for a beta, the the "release" was too. If I owned Ceton, I'd be beating my employees daily for such a sorry excuse for a beta/release. The device should have never shipped in that condition. I can understand a beta device that has a few bugs, but... generally... a beta device has full release functionality. The beta testers are supposed to find the bugs that were not detected in alpha. There is NO WAY that this device was tested in alpha by Ceton employees without finding the bugs that existed at the beginning of the "beta". They had to know about the problems prior to shipping the beta devices.

Then, they went on to ship "release" units that were, in my opinion, barely (and probably not even) worthy of a beta!

Then, FOUR MONTHS down the road... the thing still crashes?!?!? And you fan boys (I'm talking to you, Sammy) are defending them???? Ridiculous. There is no excuse. The Echo should have done AT LEAST as much as the existing extenders at release. It didn't. It still doesn't, two months after release!

I want Ceton to be successful. I will buy another Echo (or 3 or 4) in the future, if they prove to work at least as well as a Linksys or HP extender. Until that time, Ceton does not deserve my loyalty. I wanted a STABLE extender that boots QUICKLY, and plays EVERYTHING that the existing Linksys and HP extenders can play. The Echo doesn't do ANY of those three things! I can't live with a device that crashes after running for a short period of time. The USED extenders that I have are stable! I already have extenders that take about a minute to boot. Why would I pay MORE for a device that boots just as slow? I have extenders that play Recorded TV perfectly! Why would I want a device that doesn't?
Basically the owners are the company and they decided to release it prematurely. They'll need to beat up on themselves. BTW, My echo plays recorded TV perfectly.

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:42 am

I'm guessing some of you went back through Ceton to process your return, as some of you must have been beta testers. Do they send out an email when they process the return?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm

reggie14 wrote:I'm guessing some of you went back through Ceton to process your return, as some of you must have been beta testers. Do they send out an email when they process the return?
Yes. I got an e-mail from Ceton and then an e-mail from Google Wallet.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Basically the owners are the company and they decided to release it prematurely. They'll need to beat up on themselves. BTW, My echo plays recorded TV perfectly.
When was the last time it crashed on you? How often do you use it for a couple of hours or more?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:Basically the owners are the company and they decided to release it prematurely. They'll need to beat up on themselves. BTW, My echo plays recorded TV perfectly.
When was the last time it crashed on you? How often do you use it for a couple of hours or more?
This morning actually. Right after I posted this. Then it worked great with RecordedTV. I do not associate the two as it crashes at other times too. But then it will run all weekend long without a hiccup.. Very strange problem with consistency but I did just put it on a wireless bridge. I need to hard wire it again to see if it is this configuration that is causing the problem but my network tuning test has good results with the bridge.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Sammy2 wrote:This morning actually. Right after I posted this. Then it worked great with RecordedTV. I do not associate the two as it crashes at other times too. But then it will run all weekend long without a hiccup.. Very strange problem with consistency but I did just put it on a wireless bridge. I need to hard wire it again to see if it is this configuration that is causing the problem but my network tuning test has good results with the bridge.
So what you're saying is, that the Echo crashes for you when viewing Recorded TV, but since it crashes at other times too you consider Recorded TV to be perfect, despite the crashes?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:27 pm

No, that he doesn't associate the crashes with recordings and that it's due to something else on/in the device. He stated pretty obviously that's what he meant.

If the power supply was bad on your computer, and caused your computer to crash when watching TV - it wouldn't be a problem at all with the TV viewing at all - but the actual PSU unit. While not pinpointing where the problem is, that's his sentiment.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 pm

staknhalo wrote:No, that he doesn't associate the crashes with recordings and that it's due to something else on/in the device. He stated pretty obviously that's what he meant.

If the power supply was bad on your computer, and caused your computer to crash when watching TV - it wouldn't be a problem at all with the TV viewing at all - but the actual PSU unit. While not pinpointing where the problem is, that's his sentiment.
Yes, it's obvious that he doesn't associate the two. That's not what IU asked though.

He stated previously, just a few posts up, that Recorded TV worked "perfectly" for him, then he admitted that it does crash occasionally. I'm just clarifying if he still says that Recorded TV is "perfect" despite the fact it crashes occasionally.

If someone sold me a car and told me it runs perfectly in all the forward gears, and then it turned out the engine constantly stalled, I'd be pretty pissed if he then clarified and said that it stalls in reverse too so it isn't a forward gearing problem.

Maybe my definition of "perfect" is just off. Could be me.

KFish

Post by KFish » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:40 pm

I've had my Echo hardwired from the start. My viewing is usually limited to 2 to 3 hours at the most, both live and recorded TV. I can honestly say that I have not had it crash or lockup on me. I can remember during Beta testing there was an update that wouldn't complete and Ceton corrected it. It might have been a server issue. Other than that everything been good and getting better.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Yeah it's a slippery slope for either argument I'll admit.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Recorded and Live TV work fine for me except when it doesn't. Like I said, I ran it for 8 to 10 hours on end each day over the weekend, which for me was Saturday through Monday. I did both recorded and live TV. Then, this morning, when I went to view Colbert Report while preparing breakfast it crashed. I don't associate the crash with either Recorded or Live TV and think it may be a network problem induced by the bridge but I don't really know.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Recorded and Live TV work fine for me except when it doesn't.
That's reassuring! :crazy:

Truly the mark of a quality product! :lol:

You know, when you use one of the older HP or Linksys extenders, and there is a network problem (wired or wireless), it doesn't crash. It displays "Network error". Imagine that!

As an extreme test, I just tried watching a recorded TV show on one of my HP extenders. While it was playing, I pulled the network cable out of the back of the unit. Instead of crashing, it just stopped playing. When I plugged the network cable back in, it asked me to setup a network. I chose "wired network". It did whatever it does, and took me back to the extender's menu. I pressed the green button on the remote, and it went right back into Media Center. Never a crash, never a reboot, not even a hiccup.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

The moral of the story is that the Echo is unstable. Plain and simple.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Ooooo.... I have another question for you, Sammy. Do you own any other brands of extender? Ever used them as an extender for Media Center?

thorhtpc

Post by thorhtpc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:17 pm

To be fair, the DMA-2100's lock up on me. Not as much as the Echo, but more than I like. My Xbox 360 even locked up on me last week. So the other extenders aren't perfect either. But the Echo certainly doesn't pass the WAF yet. Only the Xbox does that.