Friday 2/22 = RMA day

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I don't usually leave my Echo's on while I am away, but I thought I would leave one on today, just for a test. Echo 192...71 played the HD Weather Channel without rebooting, from 5 am to 4 pm. I will try a protected channel tomorrow (Cinemax MAXHDP 276 ?), and an SD channel Friday. My tuner is an Infini4 pciE. Network Tuners is not installed.
If you play Skin-e-max, the Echo might get a little hot and bothered.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

warpster wrote:Yea I know I did, I was getting frustrated at the lack of updates and was going to send it back and then they came out with the State of the Echo update and I reconsidered. I really want this to work but the progress is really slow. Then I got the update last night and after the issues I'm second guessing my decision...oh well it's only $159, I've thrown more than that away in my life if it ends up not getting any better...but I believe it will given enough time.
Don't you think it's a little suspicious that they posted a new "state of the Echo" on 2/22?

And... I'll buy another Echo, later, if it gets better. And it will probably be cheaper too.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:26 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Don't you think it's a little suspicious that they posted a new "state of the Echo" on 2/22?
I don't think they were trying to fool anyone with the timing. That said, the update didn't address any of the problems currently with the Echo; only talking about the future Android update. So it should have done nothing to sway his decision to return it. He could have bought the Echo again at a later date like you plan to. But, he decided to keep it and keep bitching. I guess some people just like to complain. That's what worried me about the State of the Echo update - that a majority of the mewling quims who said they were going to return their Echos and be gone - were going to reneg on that promise.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 pm

warpster wrote:Then I got the update last night and after the issues I'm second guessing my decision
A number of people have reported that leaving the Echo unplugged for an hour after an update seems to help. (I'm sure 10 minutes would be just as effective as an hour, or even 2 minutes, but there is some suggestion that a cold reboot is helpful).

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 pm

The only thing worse than people bitching about the Echo are the people bitching about the people bitching about the Echo. (and the cheerleader fanbois who've never used another extender and act like the Echo is some sort of revolutionary product that works flawlessly and imply that any problems you have are due to user error, or unrealistic expectations... but I digress)

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:46 pm

ajhieb wrote:The only thing worse than people bitching about the Echo are the people bitching about the people bitching about the Echo. (and the cheerleader fanbois who've never used another extender and act like the Echo is some sort of revolutionary product that works flawlessly and imply that any problems you have are due to user error, or unrealistic expectations... but I digress)
All 2 of us 'fanbois'? Lol, cool story bro.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 am

Actually the latter part wasn't directed at you, but if you want to lump yourself in with that lot, I won't argue.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:10 am

ajhieb wrote:The only thing worse than people bitching about the Echo are the people bitching about the people bitching about the Echo
This is where I step in: DAN DA DAH!!! *fanfare* :mrgreen:

I would be the third unnamed caped entity who puts his badge on and barges his way into threads and says in a loud obnoxious voice "Please everyone, keep things civil!"

pfft....
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 am

STC wrote:
ajhieb wrote:The only thing worse than people bitching about the Echo are the people bitching about the people bitching about the Echo
This is where I step in: DAN DA DAH!!! *fanfare* :mrgreen:

I would be the third unnamed caped entity who puts his badge on and barges his way into threads and says in a loud obnoxious voice "Please everyone, keep things civil!"

pfft....
Crap, it's the fuzz :P

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:18 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:I don't usually leave my Echo's on while I am away, but I thought I would leave one on today, just for a test. Echo 192...71 played the HD Weather Channel without rebooting, from 5 am to 4 pm. I will try a protected channel tomorrow (Cinemax MAXHDP 276 ?), and an SD channel Friday. My tuner is an Infini4 pciE. Network Tuners is not installed.
Good idea, I'll leave it on overnight. Maybe even record some smut at the same time.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:19 am

As far as the key to the Echo lockups/performance problems being related to non-Ceton tuners, I too don't have Ceton tuners. But the DMA2100s handle the live TV/recordings from my Hauppauge 1250s just fine with much more vivid color, as does the XBox. The XBox and DMA2100s are so similar in this performance, that I just assumed the Ceton Echo would be on par right out of the gate, because such capability and performance is just inherent in the V2 extender architecture. This is why I was so surprised at both the stutter in WTV file playback and the washed-out colors.

As far as the state of my return, Ceton is still insisting that because it was sold through Amazon (by Ceton, mind you) that it is Amazon that has to take it back based on Amazon's return policies. Despite the extended return period promised by Ceton, it looks like it will be Amazon that has to step up here and take it back. I at least have faith that Amazon will do the right thing.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:
Good idea, I'll leave it on overnight. Maybe even record some smut at the same time.
Echo 192...71 played Cinemax MAXHDP 276 (1920 X 1080) all night long, and it's still playing now. WMC recorded a couple movies last night, and is currently recording a series episode.

The worst SD channel, that I know of, is the local "The Weather Channel" comes in on 30 here (1280 X 720) the channel is always switching sizes 4:3, 1280 picture frame, some full screen. I'm going to leave that on for the day, and go to work.

warpster

Post by warpster » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:29 pm

staknhalo wrote:So it should have done nothing to sway his decision to return it. He could have bought the Echo again at a later date like you plan to. But, he decided to keep it and keep bitching. I guess some people just like to complain. That's what worried me about the State of the Echo update - that a majority of the mewling quims who said they were going to return their Echos and be gone - were going to reneg on that promise.
Wow they bitch if ya say you're returning it and they bitch if ya change your mind...hard to win around here.

For those (evidently) concerned with what I've decided to do....I was going to return it and re-buy when/if they get it working better but I decided I'd just keep it and ride it out rather that hassle with returning and buying later....just being lazy I guess.

For your info I don't just stick around to complain, I stick around to point out the flaws that I notice, as was the case when the beta was current. You can sit there and praise the product all day, I don't mind, it's your prerogative however I think it benefits Ceton more to hear true constructive criticism than not.

And this "that a majority of the mewling quims", that's a pretty rude statement....maybe you thought you were being cute....whatever.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Oh dammit! I missed the return deadline. Guess I'm stuck with it now.

hub1

Post by hub1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Oh dammit! I missed the return deadline. Guess I'm stuck with it now.
Nooooooooo....... oh wait mine works great.
Never mind :D

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Short day at work. Test is over...The Crappy Weather Channel was still playing when I got home. I really was betting on 192...71 crashing at least once in the last 36 hours, but no luck this time.

vert18

Post by vert18 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:50 pm

moved my ceton echo to the tv next to my computer because its un-used except for my ps3.. ill continue to test it now and then when a new firmware comes out or find a way to return it(maybe)

hooked up two Linksys DMA-2100s to our main TVs (family room) & (bedroom)... they are running well

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 pm

warpster wrote:Wow they bark if ya say you're returning it and they bark if ya change your mind...hard to win around here.
vert18 wrote:moved my ceton echo to the tv next to my computer...ill continue to test it now and then when a new firmware comes out
Good to have you back. Thanks for hanging in there.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Short day at work. Test is over...The Crappy Weather Channel was still playing when I got home. I really was betting on 192...71 crashing at least once in the last 36 hours, but no luck this time.
I think that if you had a human who was trying to pause, skip back, rewind, fast forward, etc. that maybe it would have affected the results. Perhaps commercial skip has something to do with it?

I'm curious... who is using ShowAnalyzer or CommSkip with the Echo? Of those, who has no problems with the Echo?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:Short day at work. Test is over...The Crappy Weather Channel was still playing when I got home. I really was betting on 192...71 crashing at least once in the last 36 hours, but no luck this time.
I think that if you had a human who was trying to pause, skip back, rewind, fast forward, etc. that maybe it would have affected the results. Perhaps commercial skip has something to do with it?

I'm curious... who is using ShowAnalyzer or CommSkip with the Echo? Of those, who has no problems with the Echo?
The human factor might have something to do with it. My test had 192...71 and HTPC in a locked room for the full 36 hours, 192...244 was not connected at the time. I have had all 3 running for extended periods (Superbowl, Hockey games,) in the past. I don't use ShowAnalyzer, CommSkip, MyMovies, HDrecordedTV, or anything like that. I am running a pretty much PlainJane Microsoft/Ceton setup. A couple oddball/necesary softwares such as Adobe reader and flash, AMD cool and quiet, Panasonic MFS, and Winrar. Good idea to do a poll Barnabas.
Attachments
Programs001.JPG