Ceton recommendation for DVD/Blu-ray Rips on Echo?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kartajan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton recommendation for DVD/Blu-ray Rips on Echo?

Post by kartajan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:54 pm

I have been lurking about for quite a while, and have not found a good set of RECOMMENDED configurations for DVD/BluRay Rips. What I would love to see is a stickied post with the Ceton recommended format for high bitrate video. My personal goal is to have all my video to include DVD/BR rips play properly on the echo, with full Audio/ video capabilities of the source disk, to include forced subtitles when appropriate. I also need to convert my huge collection of miscellaneous video clips to run as well, those have a wide range of success, from just fine to "chipmunk mode playback", to complete refusal to play, and results do even vary with the same formats/codecs (I do not get that part)

(My current setup uses native .vob files in original folder structure for the DVD's, and I have held off on re-ripping my BluRay collection until DVD's work properly. Note that on the echo, my DVD's do play, but with an annoying pause during folder transitions, as well as spotty functionality of forced subtitles <translations of non-English lines>)

I want to know what the best supported codec/ formats to use are....

(Transcoding is definitely a suboptimal solution)

BTW: The live/recorded TV functionality works FLAWLESSLY; If I could only get the remainder of my video collection to work as well via the echo......

reggie14

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by reggie14 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:49 pm

It's probably still too early to say. I don't think anyone has had luck with full bitrate blu-ray rips in any format. The Freescale chip out to be able to handle it, but Freescale/Ceton haven't figured out the issues yet.

While not an ideal situation, you probably better just wait. It was a while ago, but Ceton said they were working on possible solutions to playing DVD/blu-ray rips. I kind of think it will involve Android, rather than WMC, but they've been pretty tight-lipped recently. My guess is that you'll have better luck with single-file rips to MKV or MP4 than you will folder structures. A lot of streamers now have trouble with folder structures- particularly blu-ray folders. As you seemed to notice, they sometimes have a slight pause when switching between files.