Tuner not available/working/installed error trying to record

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
markjanderson

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuner not available/working/installed error trying to record

Post by markjanderson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:59 am

I've just installed my Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe card (purchases back in November since I couldn't pass up the deal) in my HTPC, but I've been having several different problems related to recording
Sometimes things will work fine for recording a couple of shows, but more often that not I get one of the following errors:

1) "No TV signal"
2) "Tuner not working or not installed"
3) "Unexpected Failure Error Code: 0x80070037"
4) "Manually stopped for use by another component"

I contacted Ceton Support (Ticket #GYC-495-25790) and they had me try a few different things (install some MS hot fixes, PCIe power settings, different PCIe slots), but none of those things make any difference.
I did have AVG installed and they had me try uninstalling that (ended up reformatting/reinstalling Win7 since AVG was not cooperating) and installing Microsoft Security Essentials instead, but that didn't change anything.

The response that I just got today basically is now saying that the InfiniTV4 doesn't support ClearQAM channels (without a CableCard installed). I am trying to use it without a CableCard for now in order to work out all the kinks in my setup before I try switching over to WMC as my primary DVR (currently using a Moxi HD DVR/Moxi Mate with no problems). Is this a true statement? I thought I read some responses from Ceton staff on this forum saying that it is now supported. Is anyone else currently doing this successfully?

If I have to rent a CableCard from Comcast in order to finish my testing, then I guess I'm OK with that, but I'd rather not go down that route if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom...

- Mark

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:42 am

Over here 48103 Comcast actually pays you $2.50/mo for the first cableCARD. I think they call it the customer supplied equipment discount. The 2nd cableCARD is $1.50/mo. They are so inexpensive, it's hard to rationalise fighting WMC and/or the tuner. I ran mine that way for about a month before the guys here helped me see the light. You might as well see the light sooner than later. Go down to your local Comcast office and ask for a cableCARD self install kit.

markjanderson

Post by markjanderson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:31 am

Here in 97333 the first CableCard is indeed free (it's installed in my Moxi HD DVR that I'm using as my primary DVR) and I do still get the $2.50 credit for customer owned equipment. The rental fee on the 2nd CableCard is $1.50 I think here too, but then they tack on a $9.99 (or so) "digital access fee". I have heard that they will give you another $2.50 credit when you add a 2nd CableCard, so that might make it a little less annoying.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:24 pm

I ran mine without a cableCARD for a month or so. Yeah it works, but not really well. All the work that I did to trick the Infini into working was wasted time. I really didn't get to see the WMC experience until I got the cableCARD. The experience was kinda like driving with a flat tire. Yeah, you get to where you are going, but it's a rough ride.