WMC Can't Find my Tuners?

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
Still_Waters_43

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Can't Find my Tuners?

Post by Still_Waters_43 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:41 am

Hi, I have sucessfully setup my 3 tuner HDHomeRun Prime on a Acer Revo RL70. After setup I can view my chanells in WMC just fine.

However, everytime I power up my Revo, WMC says it's searching for tuners and then after a few minutes it says they are none unavailable, even though I can see my channels in HDHR QuickTV just not in WMC.

The only way I can get round this is by going through the setup process for WMC, which finds my tuners again. However when I power down and then power up again they are gone?

Can anyone help me with this?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

I had this problem with the HR Prime. I learned if the computer gets shut off, to unplug the HR P for 30 seconds & plug it back in. Wait until the 2 left lights are solid & then turn the computer back on.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 am

I don't believe he wants to have to do that every time. I have a Prime and have never had to reset it and haven't seen the problem, although I'm unsure of what to do to solve this.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 am

The case of the disappearing tuners. I don't have any direct experience with this, however I have read a few posts that describe the problem and suggest some things to try. Some of the suspects are antivirus software, power saving settings, network settings and/or MCEBuddy UPnP settings.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ing#p42189

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=3067

Still_Waters_43

Post by Still_Waters_43 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:03 am

I read those links and their issue is they are dropping the tuners while watching a channel on MCE. And if they reboot they get the tunsers back. In my case I only loose the tuners on a boot up. Also, I attached a laptop to the same lan connection and it booted into MCE with no issues?, this makes me think that it is an issue with the Revo?

Tomorrow I'll leave MCE running and see if it drops the tuners.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:28 am

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I remember having sort of a similar problem with an old ATI tuner where i needed to enable network discovery.

You can do this by going to Network and Sharing Center>Change Advanced Sharing Settings>Turn Network Discovery On.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Still_Waters_43 wrote:In my case I only loose the tuners on a boot up.
I guess I wasn't reading you right.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Still_Waters_43 wrote:However when I power down and then power up again they are gone?
Power down/Power up suggests that you loose the tuners during a "cold boot". Do you get the same problem after a "warm boot"?

Still_Waters_43

Post by Still_Waters_43 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
Still_Waters_43 wrote:However when I power down and then power up again they are gone?
Power down/Power up suggests that you loose the tuners during a "cold boot". Do you get the same problem after a "warm boot"?
Yep! I get it with either one?.

Still_Waters_43

Post by Still_Waters_43 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:45 pm

LuckyDay wrote:I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I remember having sort of a similar problem with an old ATI tuner where i needed to enable network discovery.

You can do this by going to Network and Sharing Center>Change Advanced Sharing Settings>Turn Network Discovery On.
Nope! that didn't work either it was already turned on :(

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:22 am

Still_Waters_43 wrote:However, everytime I power up my Revo, WMC says it's searching for tuners and then after a few minutes it says they are none unavailable, even though I can see my channels in HDHR QuickTV just not in WMC.
We do not have network tuners in the UK, but I was wondering whether your problem is caused by dynamic network address allocation? By default, I think that a Windows OS acts as the address allocator. So the scenario that I am suggesting is one where your Revo boots and Windows allocates to the network tuner an address that is different to the one that it allocated when you originally configured Media Center. If MC uses the address that the tuners had when they were configured, MC would now be unable to find the tuners.

This problem can happen when the combination of devices on your network is different each time you boot. On my tiny home network, I had a problem where a particular sequence of switching devices on and off resulted in two devices ending up with the same network address, with the result that the second one that appeared on the network was unable to connect. I have since allocated fixed network addresses to all of the devices on my network, to avoid this problem recurring.

If the HDHR software does not have this problem, it presumably has enough smarts to scan all addresses to find the network tuners when it starts, rather than relying on the address found and saved last time.

But this is all just speculation on my part.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Still_Waters_43 wrote:The only way I can get round this is by going through the setup process for WMC, which finds my tuners again. However when I power down and then power up again they are gone?
Have you "looked into" the SSDP Discovery service? http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdho ... ons/prime/
Attachments
HDHomerun001.JPG

Still_Waters_43

Post by Still_Waters_43 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
Still_Waters_43 wrote:The only way I can get round this is by going through the setup process for WMC, which finds my tuners again. However when I power down and then power up again they are gone?
Have you "looked into" the SSDP Discovery service? http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdho ... ons/prime/
@Crash2009 I checked all that out and everything is as it should be.

Update. Today, as I was getting desperate with this issue. I wondered if I powered up the Revo and left it on for a while would it make any difference?. So, I left it on (from a warm boot) for about 20mins, and then I started WMC, and WOW!! it STARTED LiveTV with no issues. I then tried from a cold boot and after 20mins it started LiveTV with no issues :clap: .

So, apparently something needs more time on a Revo powerup to get ready for WMC. Does anyone have any idea on what that might be???

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 am

Still_Waters_43 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:
@Crash2009 I checked all that out and everything is as it should be.

Update. Today, as I was getting desperate with this issue. I wondered if I powered up the Revo and left it on for a while would it make any difference?. So, I left it on (from a warm boot) for about 20mins, and then I started WMC, and WOW!! it STARTED LiveTV with no issues. I then tried from a cold boot and after 20mins it started LiveTV with no issues :clap: .

So, apparently something needs more time on a Revo powerup to get ready for WMC. Does anyone have any idea on what that might be???
Time for a wild guess. NIC, switch, router?

Still_Waters_43

Post by Still_Waters_43 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:50 am

Well I got a "Recent History" link from Norton and when I opened I saw where Norton was blocking SSDP and UPnP. So I went over the links in your posts again and saw specific references to Norton. So I unblocked them in Norton and also a Multicast" setting in my d-Link router and it is working much better now :D

Now WMC on powerup shows a "Service is Unavailible" message and then after about two minutes it switches to "Weak Signal" message for a couple of seconds and then the channel comes on and then freezes solid. If I back out of LiveTV and then go back in it then come on and works fine?. So, if I could fix this glitich it would be golden :(

Any thoughts on fixing this?

@Crash2009 thanks a million for those links :thumbup: .... if I had did a better job of reading them the first time I would have got here at lot quicker.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Still_Waters_43 wrote:Any thoughts on fixing this?
Toss Norton, If you really think you need antivirus try Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

KBJ

Post by KBJ » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
Still_Waters_43 wrote:Any thoughts on fixing this?
Toss Norton, If you really think you need antivirus try Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).
That's exactly what I ended doing after fooling around with this problem for 2 weeks. I've never had any issue with NIS before, but when I finally upgraded to Win7 and started playing with the WMC/SiliconDust Prime setup I ran in to this problem. Heard about the Norton connection but kept believing that it really couldn't be that. Well, it was, uninstalled NIS and the very next bootup WMC worked fine, no problem finding tuners. One of the developers over at SD said it requires an uninstall, just disabling Norton will not do the trick.

Ideally I would like to find what settings in Norton can be adjusted to allow the tuner discovery process to go unimpeded, but I can certainly live without Norton if that's the only thing that works. Loaded MSE and so far so good.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 am

The Security software could definitly cause issues. I have seen it with both Symantec and AVG. Another item to consider that also causes issues is the Cisco VPN software. It will also need to be uninstalled completely as well. The "Deteministic Network Enhancer" feature that detemines if traffic should be protected and sent through the VPN or to the local LAN can interfere with the traffic going to/from the network tuner; and in the case of the Ceton USB tuner (even though I know you have an SD Device), can cause bluescreens and other strangeness (weak tv singal, channel not availible, pixellation, etc).
Time is on my side.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:43 am

I know that a lot of people do not like Norton products & I'm not sticking up for them. But according to these test reports MS Security Essentials is the lowest rated product if you arrange them in order of protection, and out of 25 tested products it was 1 of 3 that did not get certified.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-us ... vdec-2012/

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Do you know anything about their testing methodology? Do you know on what basis they decided to "weight" the different aspects of AV performance?

Perhaps more important - do you know anyone using MSE who has been infected with a virus that would have been blocked by Symantec or McAfee?