Comcast Triple Play - what is needed for the telephony?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
woodchuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Comcast Triple Play - what is needed for the telephony?

Post by woodchuck » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:59 pm

I've got Comcast Double Play and I own the modem (sb6120) and use cablecard (via InfiniTV) for TV. I am considering upgrading to their Triple Play service, which adds a telephone into the mix. If I want to avoid equipment lease fees, what do I need to add hardware wise to support telephony? Do I have to upgrade my cable modem, or is their another option?

BiggAW

Post by BiggAW » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 pm

woodchuck wrote:I've got Comcast Double Play and I own the modem (sb6120) and use cablecard (via InfiniTV) for TV. I am considering upgrading to their Triple Play service, which adds a telephone into the mix. If I want to avoid equipment lease fees, what do I need to add hardware wise to support telephony? Do I have to upgrade my cable modem, or is their another option?
Some areas let you buy the eMTA, others you have to rent it. CDV sucks though, you can get much better and cheaper service through Ooma. Or if you want a landline, get an actual landline.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 am

+1 for Ooma. I've had it for a couple of years now and couldn't be happier with it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 am

I subscribe to the Comcast triple play here in 48103. The cable modem was supplied for 7 bucks/month. One of these days I am going to buy my own and save the 7. The model number I am currently using is TM722G.