Recorded TV HD and Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Embiggens

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded TV HD and Echo

Post by Embiggens » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Anybody using the Recorded TV HD plugin with an Echo? The wife requested some organizing of the recorded tv section, and I thought I'd be a hero by installing this. Unfortunately, stability has now taken a nosedive. Several crashes. Then, maybe unrelated, but I lost the tuning adapter connection (or whatever you call the source of the 'sdv' error). I didn't have time this morning to really look into that one, I just know live tv is inaccessible.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 pm

recorded tv HD has definitely caused some stability problems on my pc although i think we're mostly over them now. not used it in conjunction with the echo though

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:45 pm

OK thanks, I had heard of people using this and it looks really nice, but I guess it's just one developer so some hitches are to be expected. I really want it to work because the concept is great. I'll give it a couple more days.

I'm not using it a ton right now on the Echo (for obvious reasons), but mediabrowser seems pretty stable so my impression was that plugins in general should be ok on it.

jruck

Post by jruck » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:51 pm

I use Recorded TV HD with the Echo and I have not had any problems so far.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:56 pm

I tried RTVHD before I had an Echo. It caused stability problems on my system too. It was beautiful, and I wanted to like it, but I couldn't live with the stability problems.

gcw07

Post by gcw07 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 pm

I've been using Recorded TV HD for 6 or 7 months now. No problems with it on my HTPC or with my Echo. I don't know what version you are running of it, but I know some people had problems with some of the beta versions. The stable version should be fine.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 pm

gcw07 wrote:I've been using Recorded TV HD for 6 or 7 months now. No problems with it on my HTPC or with my Echo. I don't know what version you are running of it, but I know some people had problems with some of the beta versions. The stable version should be fine.
Not sure if you're referring to the Echo firmware version, or the RTVHD version. I tried RTVHD twice, about 6 months apart (I had to request a special license key for the 2nd trial period), and it was unstable both times. I really loved the UI. I wish it worked well for me. Apparently, some people don't have any problems with it.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 pm

gcw07 wrote:I've been using Recorded TV HD for 6 or 7 months now. No problems with it on my HTPC or with my Echo. I don't know what version you are running of it, but I know some people had problems with some of the beta versions. The stable version should be fine.
I'm running the latest stable, but I was thinking to try one of the newer betas as there are some bug fixes in it according to the changelogs. Are you saying I should stick with the stable? Or maybe a ymmv-type thing? My htpc is headless, serving my extenders, and is pretty lightweight on the processor side. Maybe it is hardware-dependent.

Regardless I'm going to give it a couple chances here. Like mr barnabas, I really want it to work.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 am

There is the current public beta, but there is also a later alpha version, which can be downloaded from within the application itself.
Embiggens wrote:
I'm running the latest stable, but I was thinking to try one of the newer betas as there are some bug fixes in it according to the changelogs. Are you saying I should stick with the stable? Or maybe a ymmv-type thing? My htpc is headless, serving my extenders, and is pretty lightweight on the processor side. Maybe it is hardware-dependent.

Regardless I'm going to give it a couple chances here. Like mr barnabas, I really want it to work.

gcw07

Post by gcw07 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:48 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Not sure if you're referring to the Echo firmware version, or the RTVHD version.
I was referring to the RTVHD version.
Embiggens wrote:I'm running the latest stable, but I was thinking to try one of the newer betas as there are some bug fixes in it according to the changelogs. Are you saying I should stick with the stable? Or maybe a ymmv-type thing? My htpc is headless, serving my extenders, and is pretty lightweight on the processor side. Maybe it is hardware-dependent.
I'd try beta. I'm running version 1.7.13. That is a few behind the current beta, but since everything was working perfect on it, I figured not to tempt fate and mess with it. Unfortunately with how much hardware and software installed on the machine can differ, who knows if everything will work for you as it does for me.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 pm

RTVHD was quite unstable to start off with often resulting in crashes of MCE. I was the user on the RTVHD forum that initiated the post which go it fixed so i am quite aware of its current status. It is much better but still far from perfect. There are still occasions when RTVHD will just lock up and become completely unresponsive with no indicator of what it is doing or what the problem is. Often i have found that the only solution is to get mouse out and close MCE. I can live with this but WAF will not accept. it seems to me the problem is largely around the way in which RTVHD caches information, in fact i note another user raised the same concern on the forum only a few days ago. its incredibly slow returning to the main menu where recordings are displayed in a cover flow view. i don't have similar issues with MediaBrowser and its a very powerful PC so thats not the issue.

RTVHD is essential to me though so i'm keen to improve it. currently it is the only solution that allows you to combine the MCE recorded tv folder with other content (for me read downloads) without generating metadata for it (such as MediaBrowser does). MB is my archive, RTVHD contains the TV we are currently watching, still some 100+ series

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 pm

bobbob wrote:RTVHD was quite unstable to start off with often resulting in crashes of MCE. I was the user on the RTVHD forum that initiated the post which go it fixed so i am quite aware of its current status. It is much better but still far from perfect. There are still occasions when RTVHD will just lock up and become completely unresponsive with no indicator of what it is doing or what the problem is. Often i have found that the only solution is to get mouse out and close MCE. I can live with this but WAF will not accept. it seems to me the problem is largely around the way in which RTVHD caches information, in fact i note another user raised the same concern on the forum only a few days ago. its incredibly slow returning to the main menu where recordings are displayed in a cover flow view. i don't have similar issues with MediaBrowser and its a very powerful PC so thats not the issue.

RTVHD is essential to me though so i'm keen to improve it. currently it is the only solution that allows you to combine the MCE recorded tv folder with other content (for me read downloads) without generating metadata for it (such as MediaBrowser does). MB is my archive, RTVHD contains the TV we are currently watching, still some 100+ series
The first version I tried had a memory leak, but that was fixed before the end of my first trial period. It still caused strange behavior on my HTPC... not only when I was using RTVHD, but also in other parts of Media Center. The next time I tried it, there was another new version... but I had the same problems. I'd be willing to try it again though. If it works well, I'd definitely pay for it. It was absolutely beautiful.

markterborg

Post by markterborg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 pm

Hey all... Developer of Recorded TV HD here....

As all of you do, I'd like Recorded TV HD to be as stable as possible. As discussed in this thread, some people do not really have any issues, where other people do. The hardest part for me is when someone has a problem and I cannot reproduce it or have no idea why the issue is happening for them. The latest beta and alpha out there now have quite a few new features and bug fixes, but I do not want to release it as a stable release at this point because I've had quite a few mentions about performance and whatnot.

Personally, I'm using an SSD on all of Media Center PCs and don't really archive my TV so I'm thinking some of the performance issues are when people have thousands of TV shows and for some reason Recorded TV HD isn't scaling well. I'm going to try to work on when I can.

For any issues please post them to the forum: http://www.recordedtvhd.com/forum/ or send them via email: support@recordedtvhd.com and I'll do my best to fix any bugs.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:12 pm

markterborg wrote:Hey all... Developer of Recorded TV HD here....

As all of you do, I'd like Recorded TV HD to be as stable as possible. As discussed in this thread, some people do not really have any issues, where other people do. The hardest part for me is when someone has a problem and I cannot reproduce it or have no idea why the issue is happening for them. The latest beta and alpha out there now have quite a few new features and bug fixes, but I do not want to release it as a stable release at this point because I've had quite a few mentions about performance and whatnot.

Personally, I'm using an SSD on all of Media Center PCs and don't really archive my TV so I'm thinking some of the performance issues are when people have thousands of TV shows and for some reason Recorded TV HD isn't scaling well. I'm going to try to work on when I can.

For any issues please post them to the forum: http://www.recordedtvhd.com/forum/ or send them via email: support@recordedtvhd.com and I'll do my best to fix any bugs.
Hi Mark. As I stated earlier, I'd be happy to give it a whirl again. If it's stable now, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. It's the best looking recorded TV listing I've ever seen, and I like the ability to group/sort things in ways that the default Recorded TV section in Media Center can't. I don't remember what needed to be done last time so that I would have a new trial period. Please let me know what to do.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 pm

markterborg wrote:Hey all... Developer of Recorded TV HD here....

Thank you for the reply. Day 2 with Recorded TV HD was completely trouble-free for me, still sticking with the stable release. Hopefully my crashes were unrelated- as I said, my tuning adapter connection was going bonkers when my crashes occurred, perhaps that problem was the source rather than result of my problems. My system is pretty stable so I think it's understandable that I'd be at least suspicious about rctvhd, it being the first day I installed it.

I have an ssd for my os and a single 3tb drive for recorded tv, so I am hopeful that this is nothing extraordinary for the software. I'll update in a few more days so this thread doesn't sit here with a baseless accusation. If I see crashes I'll see if it's related to viewing on echo vs xbox.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Just to finish my report, I'm a week in now and haven't had any problems with Recorded TV HD...it's looking like the first day crashes were unrelated.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 pm

I installed Recorded TV HD two days ago. Tonight will make my 3rd night using it. This is my 3rd attempt (the first two times I tried RTVHD gave me problems with stability). So far, I have had no problems whatsoever. If the trouble-free operation continues for a period of two weeks, I will gladly pay for the product. I LOVE the user interface of RTVHD.

For full disclosure: This time, I also went through all of the installed software on my HTPC, and un-installed everything that is no longer needed prior to installing Recorded TV HD. It's possible that one or a combination of these un-installed programs may have been causing some kind of conflict.

I un-installed the following programs:
  • Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 ENU
  • Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 x64 ENU
  • OpenSSL 1.0.0d Light (32 bit)
  • OpenSSL 1.0.0d Light (64 bit)
  • two entries for "Ceton MOCUR" stuff that started with the name "Windows Drivers..."
  • WinRAR 4.10
I think that the two instances of SQL server and OpenSSL had something to do with some software I installed previously as a test. Not sure, but I think it had something to do with Media Browser or something similar. The "Windows Drivers" for the Ceton MOCUR were left-overs from when I had a Ceton InfiniTV. I missed them when I un-installed the Ceton drivers because their names began with "Windows Drivers" instead of "Ceton" or "InfiniTV". The WinRAR thing was a free trial, and it was no longer needed. I don't think it had anything to do with RTVHD.

Previously, I didn't want to remove the SQL Server Compact stuff for fear that it would hurt ShowAnalyzer. However, SA seems to be working fine without them.

So far, RTVHD is working just fine... both on my HTPC and on my extenders (including the Echo). As stated above, if it continues to work without any stability problems for the next two weeks, I'll be paying for the product right away. It's the most beautiful DVR interface I've ever seen (I like the "List View" in black).

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:06 am

I'm running the alpha version on my Windows 7 x64 HTPC. I installed it over the beta version several days ago and an having absolutely no issues on the HTPC or the Echo. It's a fine piece of software and has great support from the author.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:42 am

mldenison wrote:I'm running the alpha version on my Windows 7 x64 HTPC. I installed it over the beta version several days ago and an having absolutely no issues on the HTPC or the Echo. It's a fine piece of software and has great support from the author.
What version of Alpha?

I have had issues with .19 and (I forget the last Alpha I tried), and each caused my Echo to crash, and Windows Media Center on the PC to crash. I wish I had more time to help Mark and team, but I just haven't had the time to monitor RTVHD, so I have at the latest stable and it works like a charm.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 am

The alpha version I have is 1.7.28