Ceton InfiniTV 4 - Owner's Thread

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
ahwman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ahwman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:06 pm

WhatHappend wrote:
ahwman wrote:Thanks so much. I followed your directions to the letter and though the event viewer shows that it ran successfully, it hasn't seemed to help - not sure why.
By event viewer what do you mean? What did it show exactly?

I updated the wiki to help you understand what will be logged for each resume cycle. Please read the update and report what you are seeing logged.

Also, I think I need to add some more directions to the wiki.

When you are done setting up the task, edit the tasks properties and select "Run whether user is logged on or not" & "Run with highest privileges", also make sure you Change the User to a user with Administrative permissions.
After checking the Windows log files I see that all WSH events show "0" in the event ID so perhaps it is working after all. That said, how hard would it be to do the same thing with restarting the tuning adapter service? The reason I ask is because often times I will have issues with SDV channels and restarting this service will solve the issue without having to reboot.

Thanks for all your help!

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

ahwman wrote:
After checking the Windows log files I see that all WSH events show "0" in the event ID so perhaps it is working after all. That said, how hard would it be to do the same thing with restarting the tuning adapter service? The reason I ask is because often times I will have issues with SDV channels and restarting this service will solve the issue without having to reboot.

That would be a good learning project for you! What I would do is stop the "tuning adapter service" on Sleep and then start it on Resume events. It should already be marked to start "Auto" when the computer starts up.

I don't have SDV, so I have no issues with that. Have you contacted Ceton with that issue?

Why did you think your Ceton tuner was not working correctly after sleep/resume (ignoring your tuning adapter service issue) ? The script is for fixing a tuner that has an error in the device manager or is not detected on resume. If all you are getting is WSH with event ID = 0 then your card is working already on every resume. My script doesn't own all of the "WSH" type events. Did you look at the event details for the text that I put in the Wiki?

The script should do no harm and even with my "good" Ceton cards (after RMA) it has fixed issues twice in the last 4 months that would have caused missed recordings or calls to me at work complaining the TV is not working. With the "crappy" card that I RMA'd, it was fixing issue multiple times per days.

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:16 pm

WhatHappend wrote:
ahwman wrote:

That would be a good learning project for you! What I would do is stop the "tuning adapter service" on Sleep and then start it on Resume events. It should already be marked to start "Auto" when the computer starts up.

I don't have SDV, so I have no issues with that. Have you contacted Ceton with that issue?

Why did you think your Ceton tuner was not working correctly after sleep/resume (ignoring your tuning adapter service issue) ? The script is for fixing a tuner that has an error in the device manager or is not detected on resume. If all you are getting is WSH with event ID = 0 then your card is working already on every resume. My script doesn't own all of the "WSH" type events. Did you look at the event details for the text that I put in the Wiki?

The script should do no harm and even with my "good" Ceton cards (after RMA) it has fixed issues twice in the last 4 months that would have caused missed recordings or calls to me at work complaining the TV is not working. With the "crappy" card that I RMA'd, it was fixing issue multiple times per days.
I'm working with Ceton over the missing tuner issue and need to bring the SDV issue to their attention. To be quite honest, I'm getting worn out with WMC. Just too much upkeep/instability for me, considering other options at this point unfortunately...

Tester

Post by Tester » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Any update on a new driver ?

DarkKnightWong

Post by DarkKnightWong » Wed May 29, 2013 11:38 am

Any new updates to the "No Tuner" after resume from sleep ?
I also get the random new Tuner found after resume from sleep too.

Thanks
Allen

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:12 pm

snappjay wrote:I will be getting my iTV4 in the mail tomorrow. Very excited to ditch, what I call, the "DOS-box" DVR. I stopped by the cable office and picked up my cable card, so I'm ready to go.
My only question is about signal strength. The cable installer made "live" every coax in our house (6 outlets) so if we want to move the DVR from room to room, we can.
I will also be splitting the coax behind the HTPC to feed both the iTV4 and the Hauppauge 2250.

Should I be worried about signal strength for the iTV4? If so, I can disconnect a few of the rooms from the splitter that are for guests/storage.
I had the same issue. The Charter installer had a large, powered splitter sending the signal to all of the outlets in the house. My signal strength was fine for the Cable boxes but marginal for the Ceton. I bought this on Amazon and it is great!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006T3 ... UTF8&psc=1
It is adjustable upstream and downstream, so you can get the correct amount of gain needed with a little tweaking.

Tester

Post by Tester » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Any word on new drivers and or firmware for this product ?

I am not having any particular issues, I just wish this product would be faster coming out of sleep, changing channels, handshaking with MCE, etc.

Thanks
Tester

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Given the fact that Ceton really hasn't ever done anything to make the InfiniTV faster, combined with the fact that Ceton is focused on other projects (MMC and Echo), I doubt we'll ever see any improvement on the issues you described. The bar has been set.

FastRC45

Post by FastRC45 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:26 am

Has anyone had issues with signal strength on ranges of frequencies? Pretty much a noob, but after a week of working almost perfect (periodic Subscription Required screens), the TA went to lunch and caused a show to miss recording. After getting the TA online again I started checking signal strength. In an unscientific sampling of channels, my strength varies from good/too good (-.9 to 1.9dbm) to borderline bad (10 to 10.6). All SNR's are in the 36-37 range. I have an 8 port drop amp in line and could dump it for a 4 port with higher gain if necessary, but given I already have channels at damn near 0db, I'm concerned with overdriving the Ceton card. Anyone experience anything similar?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Try this: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... spx#555792. You'll get a better picture of the signal levels across all frequencies, which will give you a better idea of what you need to do.

FastRC45

Post by FastRC45 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 am

VERY COOL, thank you! Looks like my unscientific sampling was pretty spot on. I've got low signal levels on two mid band freqencies (gap from 123 to 225Mhz that I don't get anything on). Unfortunately the two frequencies I use in that part of the band (111 and 123) carry some pretty critical channels (NickHD, DisneyHD, USA HD, Nick Jr, etc.). I've got good levels above 123 and below 111. Any common issues that result in an RF notch that I apparently have?

FastRC45

Post by FastRC45 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Okay, my levels and SNR are all over the map. Everything worked great for a few days, then started getting subscription req messages on most of the kid channels. re-ran the signal level script and freqs that were 2-3db the other day were -30db today. I do have 2 un-terminated ports, but that seems like a pretty wide swing...

ERIC8585

Post by ERIC8585 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:57 pm

mcdubjr wrote:I've been having a problem receiving HBO. I pair the card, it works and then a few hours later I can no longer get the channel.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Data number. I noticed every time the computer sleeps or reboots the Data number changes.

I've swapped out the CableCARD once already, but the same problem kept happening. I have an open ticket with Ceton Support, but thought I'd ask the community for any ideas. What could cause the Data number to keep changing?
I'm having the same problem with the data# changing. Did you ever resolve this issue? Was it the ceton card?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:59 pm

FastRC45 wrote:Okay, my levels and SNR are all over the map. Everything worked great for a few days, then started getting subscription req messages on most of the kid channels. re-ran the signal level script and freqs that were 2-3db the other day were -30db today. I do have 2 un-terminated ports, but that seems like a pretty wide swing...
-30 dBmV is usually an indication of NO SIGNAL. Your graph of frequencies sure looks like there is a filter on your line. Did you have tv service before or internet and added tv? There also could be a bad amp at the node or totally freaked out EQ (this happens less today but used to be a major problem when summer heat would hit).

This would really benefit from a service call from the service provider and they should send someone that can do a full spectrum scan and might have to refer it to pole maintenance unless there is a bad cable in house or bad splitters. While RF plant installation looks simple (just coax) it is really very critical and has to be approached carefully and all the right elements. The right type of coax, the right type of connectors, terminated open ports on splitters (to prevent ingress) etc. All are important but you look like a signal loss at -30dBmV

FastRC45

Post by FastRC45 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:15 am

JohnW248,
Thanks for the reply! I'm not entirely unfamiliar with RF, just used to it at much higher power, though with our receivers, the front end noise floor is in the neighborhood of -30dbm, but I understand the Ceton card is +/- 10. You hit the nail on the head with respect to what I'm looking at and trying to track - it seems like I'm being filtered, but only in certain frequency ranges, which is why I posted here first before calling the cable co. The only local cable co folks that have ever been to my house don't strike me as the type that would know what they're looking at if I handed them a SiteMaster or traditional Spec An. The majority of the time I have 2 notches - the first at 219Mhz (18dbm below the trend line) and the second at 573-591Mhz (20-30dbm below the trend). The SNR generally tracks (good when signal level is good, bad when signal level is bad). Another issue that concerns me is that when I had cable boxes, they were not affected by any drops which makes me think I'm chasing 2 issues rather than 1. The most visible channel I have problems with are recordings on MTV for the teenager. BUT - it's an SDV channel and corresponds to the TA going to lunch (seems like weekly) - that just happens to be when I'm normally given 10 minutes to do a quick channel scan and paste into the spreadsheet while I'm rebooting the TA.

My wiring is relatively simple. Though I admittedly didn't use the highest quality wire, it's all RG-6 (double shield) with F Type compression connectors. All copper is clean (no nicks or angled cuts). I have a single, 8 port drop amp less than 20' from the point of entry and direct runs from there to (almost) every bit of equipment. From that drop amp, 3 ports go to TV's, 1 to my cable modem, 1 to the Ceton card, 1 to a splitter feeding the TA and a HDHR (non-prime), and the remaining 2 ports are unused (still need to terminate). The only thing I'm not 100% certain of involves the TA and the install instructions from Cox. I was provided a POE filter and instructed to put it inline with the TA at the output of the splitter. Am I protecting the rest of my house from the TA (doesn't make sense), or am I protecting the TA from the possibility of MoCA in the rest of my house (I don't use MoCA). But that shouldn't be causing my signal drops - MoCA would be in the 3rd harmonic range of my upper notch, but not the other way around.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:03 am

So, I don't want to open a ticket with Ceton over the WMC EAS issue, but has anyone with an early build InfiniTV4 PCI-e card been able to use any of the current Beta FW's? My card was delivered to me in December 2010.

I tried 13.5.6.135 + another beta from Ceton and would always get the No TV Signal message so I had to install 1.2.2.6 to make TV watching acceptable again.

I did notice I can no loner see any Beta firmware in the diagnostic utility for my card.

MinistryOfMagic

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:25 pm

carljanderson wrote:So, I don't want to open a ticket with Ceton over the WMC EAS issue, but has anyone with an early build InfiniTV4 PCI-e card been able to use any of the current Beta FW's? My card was delivered to me in December 2010.

I tried 13.5.6.135 + another beta from Ceton and would always get the No TV Signal message so I had to install 1.2.2.6 to make TV watching acceptable again.

I did notice I can no loner see any Beta firmware in the diagnostic utility for my card.
I also own two early build InfiniTV4 PCI-e cards that were manufactured in India and have experienced exactly the same issues you mention. I also had to downgrade both of them back to Firmware 1.2.2.6 as well, in order to make them usable. I think I heard Ceton removed the later Firmware updates on these cards, because of all the problems it created.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:45 am

This is with MOCA. Still waiting to get the upstairs wired for ethernet so I can ditch the MOCA filter.

machausta

Post by machausta » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Ok, so I just purchased a USB infiniTV4 and I want to replace my ATI DCT, can I just swap over the cablecard and that's it, or do I need to contact comcast and give them the updated information? I haven't found anything that specifically details what is needed to change tuners.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:03 pm

machausta wrote:Ok, so I just purchased a USB infiniTV4 and I want to replace my ATI DCT, can I just swap over the cablecard and that's it, or do I need to contact comcast and give them the updated information? I haven't found anything that specifically details what is needed to change tuners.

You need provider to re-pair with the new tuner to get the most of your cablecard. It may work, may work permanently, or temporarily, or with limited channels, or not at all if it is not properly paired.