Disney World of Wonder calibration disc

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disney World of Wonder calibration disc

Post by staknhalo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 pm

http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/disney-w ... onder.html

I've been using the AVSForum calibration videos forever; along with user recommendations on color/white balance settings from their forums for my particular sets. I want to get a blue filter and do it myself (not splurging for a Spyder colormeter or the like). The Disney WoW disc comes with a blue filter, and I've heard good things. I know I can get blue filters from THX for $5; but I have Reward Zone points - so this would cost me literally nothing.

Anyone use it? Suggest another one? Save my points and just get the blue filters from THX?

I would be getting the single disc edition, as that is the one with all the calibration videos. The 2-disc version simply has vistas and landscape scenery on the second disc from what I read (both have the blue filter).

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Let me know if you get this.. I always wanted to know if it made a big difference or not. I have seen this a few times and wanted to try it but never got around to it.
I have also heard good things about this as well.. http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-Defin ... and+munsil
It's always been one of those things I wanted to get to but never had the time (or lack of children in the house so I could concentrate long enough to get through it without constant interruption) projects.
If the Disney disk works well let me know as I may pick this up as well.
newfiend~

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

I would not recommend the Spyder colorimeter. I bought one (The Spyder4TV HD), and it didn't do as much for me as the "AVS HD 709" videos. I sold it on e-Bay.

The problem was that the Spyder4HD didn't help me adjust anything except for the basic brightness, contrast, color and tint. The AVS videos do that just fine if you have a blue filter or a TV that allows you to set it to blue-only (like I do). My TV has dozens of settings just for white balance, and dozens more for each of the three colors.

If someone can say, definitively, that one of the upper models of the Spyder colorimeter (and software) help me precisely adjust the white balance, and colors, at a price that is competitive with paying Geek Squad (or someone similar) to calibrate my TV, then I'd be happy to try that version. However, the Spyder4TVHD was a complete waste of money and time for me.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 pm

I found some small differences between the GetGray blue filter and the one that came with my Spectracal C3 meter. The meter cost $149 and came with a basic version of Calman 5 software that will check color temperature, 2 point gamma, 2 and 10 point grayscale, and CMS. You can download the software and run it in demo mode to see all it can do; the workflows available at this level include "Tutorial Basic" and "Tutorial Advanced". I think it's worth it.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:36 pm

newfiend wrote:Let me know if you get this..
Will do
barnabas1969 wrote:I would not recommend the Spyder colorimeter.

Not a problem, wasn't looking to spend $100+ on one in the first place :P

crawfish wrote:I found some small differences between the GetGray blue filter and the one that came with my Spectracal C3 meter. The meter cost $149 and came with a basic version of Calman 5 software that will check color temperature, 2 point gamma, 2 and 10 point grayscale, and CMS. You can download the software and run it in demo mode to see all it can do; the workflows available at this level include "Tutorial Basic" and "Tutorial Advanced". I think it's worth it.
I heard the filter that comes with this is very good, but opinions differ.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:30 am

Just FYI to people following this I pulled the trigger on it. Will update when it gets here my experience with it. Now off to dinner.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 am

staknhalo did you get a chance to try the disk out yet?
newfiend~

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:25 am

I was going to use disney reward points to buy it after i heard your review--- but apparently they've sold out :(
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 am

It just arrived in the mail today :D Will give it a go tomorrow.
makryger wrote:I was going to use disney reward points to buy it after i heard your review--- but apparently they've sold out :(
I ordered from Best Buy's website if that means anything.

Edit: I did a quick glance of the disc and one thing that is cool is they give you a 1080p complicated/fast moving/fine detail test clip for the purpose of testing your encoding method(s) via HandBrake or the sort. Has nothing to do with calibration - but will def come in handy :)

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 pm

So after calibrating one display I am pleased with the disc - brightness and sharpness were pretty much the same as using the AVS forum videos. Contrast was a bit different than the setting I got using those (I can't recall if higher or lower - but I like this test pattern more so I'll be sticking with the Disney disc setting). The main difference was in color and tint. As stated I had just been getting settings others posted in forums for my display; and then adjusting to my liking if I felt I needed to. With this disc though everything is more saturated. Not over saturated mind you, just more vivid. Maybe that's due to the difference in mine and whoever's viewing environment; maybe it's due to me being a novice with the blue filter/color & tint adjustments. I can always go back and do it again. The main benefit is it's now calibrated to my environment. I can just do it myself - no more wondering how off my settings actually are (outside of a colormeter, which I have no want to buy).

There are three sections on the disc - Discover - Optimize - Experience. Discover is all learning about HD systems/equipment/terms. The novice/Goofy mode is useless - at one point they say "you can get wireless HD!" without ever mentioning it again - no mention of what it is or equipment to look into if you want. The next/beginner section is even more useless - it's literally 2 ads for Blu-ray and then the only useful video; a moving split screen comparison between 480p and 1080p. The Expert mode is the only one I'd show anyone. Even though there are some sections that are useless to the average Joe and would go over his head (like progressive and interlaced, or 24fps), the parts about resolution and so forth are explained in very simplistic and yet thorough terms.

The Optimize section is the calibration videos; again split into 3 sections. The beginner section has its own unique limited number of calibration test patterns and instructional videos. Simplistic and easy to understand/perform - exactly what you would expect. The Expert and Advanced all have a lot more and more thorough test patterns (all the same except Expert has instructional videos before each test pattern while Advanced is just the patterns themselves). The one unique thing on Advanced that I previously mentioned is they include a test video for you to use with the encoding software of your choice. It's a full screen montage split up into fast motion/fine detail/colorful/live action/slow moving elements. It's pretty neat. I don't know how they expect you to get the video off of the disc (legally speaking); but that's exactly what they tell you to do, lol. I'll be using it in Handbrake sometime soon. Also there is a video included to fix stuck pixels. You all know what that looks like. There is also a full suite of audio calibration videos for the Beginner and Expert/Advanced sections; but I have yet to use those (and they're more geared towards full audio system setups, not TV speakers).

The Experience section is just a bunch of Disney/nature clips. I thought only the second disc of the 2 disc version included this - but it must just be more of the same. Still, nice to have on the disc.

All in all, I'm pleased. I still have 2 screens to calibrate with it still (one via both a Blu-ray player and extender), so anything additional that comes up I'll post.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 am

How does the calibrated color/tint settings when done with the WOW disk compare to the color/tint settings when done with the AVS test patterns (using the same blue filter for both calibrations)?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:47 am

richard1980 wrote:How does the calibrated color/tint settings when done with the WOW disk compare to the color/tint settings when done with the AVS test patterns (using the same blue filter for both calibrations)?
Gimme a day and I'll post results.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:32 pm

It looks like there is both a two disc set and a one disc set. Which one did you get?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:09 pm

makryger wrote:It looks like there is both a two disc set and a one disc set. Which one did you get?
Single disc. When researching I read the second disc is only Disney/nature/various HD clips to show off. There are some on the single disc addition as well I discovered. I assume the second disc is just more of the same.

Single disc is $18 at Best Buy's site. 2-disc is $27 iirc. I have no need for the 2nd disc - plus with my RewardZone points I got the single disc edition for free; where I would have had to pay for the 2-disc.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Cool. Well if you decide you're done with calibration, I'll buy the Bluray off of you for $10 plus media mail shipping!

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 pm

makryger wrote:Cool. Well if you decide you're done with calibration, I'll buy the Bluray off of you for $10 plus media mail shipping!
Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to be keeping it :)

Gonna need it if I'm ever going to get a new/replace a TV set.