Best Anti-Virus Software for an HTPC?

makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by makryger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: Richard is correct though... if someone was able to replace your PHP code, that was a pretty serious breach.
The homepage didn't have any php code.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 am

I think a lot of non techies assume every problem is a virus.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 am

Ergo all our wives are viruses? :clap:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:20 am

wait, am I the only here that uses their HTPC to view shady adult sites on the televsison? My HTPC has Norton, Trend, and MSE. It's triple wrapped, can't be too safe.

:shh:

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:51 am

makryger wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote: Richard is correct though... if someone was able to replace your PHP code, that was a pretty serious breach.
The homepage didn't have any php code.
Since phpBB is written in PHP, I assumed the attacked page was also written in PHP. But it doesn't matter...malicious code is malicious code, regardless of what language is used. You can twist it around however you want, but in the end, the website got hacked.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:55 am

I understand... Just wanted to clarify that the actual tgb forums have not been hacked. One separate rarely used page was hacked.

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 pm

carljanderson wrote:wait, am I the only here that uses their HTPC to view shady adult sites on the televsison? My HTPC has Norton, Trend, and MSE. It's triple wrapped, can't be too safe.

Triple wrapped? That's the funniest thing I've read today. Thanks.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:14 pm

carljanderson wrote:wait, am I the only here that uses their HTPC to view shady adult sites on the televsison? My HTPC has Norton, Trend, and MSE. It's triple wrapped, can't be too safe.

That's just sick. I'm offended... I stick to very classy, trustworthy adult sites. :)

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:35 pm

lithium630 wrote:

That's just sick. I'm offended... I stick to very classy, trustworthy adult sites. :)
The kind that charge $1k/hr

AllanPep

Post by AllanPep » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 am

I use Unthreat Antivirus which is a free antivirus as well. It's really easy to use and I don't even feel it working in the background. I totally recommend it!

MichianaMCR

Post by MichianaMCR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:01 am

I have been using Eset antivirus for over 5 years and I am very happy with it. I use, and have used several others on my other windows boxes (8 computers in the house) and have run into issues with a few others that some residential customers have used.

Eset is very fast, but can be difficult to customize some of the settings.

The trouble with all antivirus software is finding the balance between aggressive heuristics that can cause false positives and impact performance and less aggressive that could allow something through.

Intelligent awareness of risks is often good enough to eliminate most but not all chances of infection. All it takes is just one and it will open your computer and network to many more, as a lot of malware will download additional payloads.

A few things that can help are using opendns with an account to filter sites that are more prone to malware. I have an ubuntu box that I use for torrent sites. I also have an untangle server with the paid antivirus that with all of the addins helps to almost eliminate nearly every risk that the kids can try to bring into the network.

Pfsense and untangle, along with opendns have made my life much less stressful. After administrating several customers business networks and systems, the last thing I want to do is deal with the same thing at home.