Charitable Organization Discussion

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
mark1234

HTPC Specs: Show details

Charitable Organization Discussion

Post by mark1234 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:20 am

MOD edit: topic split from here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 109#p42109
boofos wrote:Oh, and if the ultra rich people would spend some of the money they sit up and count every night, at ton of our problems would be over.
Perhaps you've never heard of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation?
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

boofos

Post by boofos » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:20 pm

mark1234 wrote:
boofos wrote:Oh, and if the ultra rich people would spend some of the money they sit up and count every night, at ton of our problems would be over.

Perhaps you don't realize that this does not put money into circulation that benefits businesses? Sending to a foundation does nothing to stimulate the economy. You are one of them....

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 pm

boofos wrote:
mark1234 wrote:

Perhaps you don't realize that this does not put money into circulation that benefits businesses? Sending to a foundation does nothing to stimulate the economy. You are one of them....
Amazing. Where do you think the money from the foundation goes? If you answered poor people and kids who want to go to college, then you would be correct.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:12 pm

The hell is going on in here? lol

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Wow. Silly me for thinking that directly employing people and donating to charitable organisations who then employ, spend etc, would actually benefit the economy. I clearly need to resit my economics classes.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:58 pm

+1 :)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

boofos

Post by boofos » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:28 am

Well, that's my take. I'll give you the charity bit, but the rich folks need to put some money back in to circulation.
And a lot please. Just think if Gates went somewhere and spent 5 billion retail? How about they all collectively spend 50-100 billion?
Hoarding a bunch of money, like billions upon billions while other people are starving is a huge problem in the world and always has been.

Now, please blast away but have an answer and not just point things out.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 am

You do know that he doesn't actually have his Billions in banknotes in a box under the bed? If he sold all his assets to have cash to spend, (aside from the risk of causing a crash) the buyers of his assets would have to take the same amount of money out of circulation to buy those assets.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 am

boofos wrote:Well, that's my take. I'll give you the charity bit, but the rich folks need to put some money back in to circulation.
And a lot please. Just think if Gates went somewhere and spent 5 billion retail? How about they all collectively spend 50-100 billion?
Hoarding a bunch of money, like billions upon billions while other people are starving is a huge problem in the world and always has been.
That is an absolutely insane proposal, especially if you think it's even possible for him to do (what foxwood said beat me to it).

And the company he founded employs 50,000 people in the United States and hired 2,000 more in 2012. What do you want him to do stand on the street corner and pass $100 bills out?

boofos

Post by boofos » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:28 am

To you insane. To me a real solution. I said retail, not stand on a street corner. Narrow minded, that's all I see here.