Just upgraded to Server 2012 Essentials... and WOW AMAZING

Talk about setting up your home network.
gyrene2083

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by gyrene2083 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:27 pm

@Motz,

I have a few questions for you. I have InfiniTV 6 with all 6 tuners hooked up to my Windows 7 Pro HTPC. I am in the process of setting up my Essentials Server. I also have an UnRaid server that I am eventually going to use as my backup to my Essentials server. My questions for you are;

1. Can I assign InfiniTV 6 tuners to the Essentials Server, since that is going to be on and it's hiding in my closet and then I could turn of my HTPC and not leave it on all night.

2. Like yourself I upgraded my Laptop to Windows 8, especially with TechNet Retiring the subscription package, which saddens me by the way. Do I need to upgrade my HTPC from Win 7 pro to 8 pro for it to be on the Domain? I thought that Win 7 pro would allow it to be on the Domain or was I wrong?
-Semper Fi,
gyrene2083

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:34 pm

1. Essential Server doesn't have WMC so there would be nothing that could detect the tuners. You could probably run a VM inside of ES2012 and the assign the tuners inside of that. That would probably be what you want to do, but it really isn't a supported configuration, but you could try it out.

2. You can join a domain in win 7, just go to computer properties and then you will see it is probably on WORKGROUP so change that to your new domain. Windows 8 just kind of made it super easy which was nice via a wizard and setup remote access and vpn and all that stuff.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

dandys

Post by dandys » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I am considering the same thing, but I have some questions about Server first...

1. How does the HTPC tie into this? Do both the server and the HTPC have to be on 24/7 to record TV reliably?

1.5. You mentioned a VM. Do you know if it would be possible to run Windows 8 Media Center virtually alongside the Server OS to record TV and only have one machine on 24/7?

2. How do you remotely access the server (e.g. to download recordings when not at home), and is there anything comparable to "remote desktop" on other Windows versions?

3. If I have the choice between Essentials and a higher level of the Server OS (price not an issue), is there any reason to stick with Essentials instead (I have heard it is the most user-friendly, for example)? Is there a GUI on any of the other versions?