Beta 2013.129.1538

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
fiteclub

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by fiteclub » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:53 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
fiteclub wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:
Sammy, this is the issue I have been having on my brand new Samsung. Have you tried your experiment on a channel that is not "copy once" protected? I only have this issue on those channels (which with TWC is everything but network channels!). It does not occur on NBC for example.
I will shut it down for a few hours on a copy protected channel and see what happens when I fire it back up.
That just may be it. Fired it up this morning on a copy freely channel and no error.
I have been dealing with this issue from day 1 with the Echo, so it is not a new problem. I have an open ticket with Ceton support so they are aware of the problem but obviously have yet to fix it. Being able to turn off your TV while a station is playing and expecting to later turn your TV back on and having the station still playing, seems to be a basic requirement of a good extender.
I encourage others with this issue to open a support ticket with Ceton as it might help with obtaining a robust fix.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:45 pm

I already reported this in the bug tracker and elsewhere.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 pm

fiteclub wrote:I have been dealing with this issue from day 1 with the Echo, so it is not a new problem. I have an open ticket with Ceton support so they are aware of the problem but obviously have yet to fix it. Being able to turn off your TV while a station is playing and expecting to later turn your TV back on and having the station still playing, seems to be a basic requirement of a good extender.
I encourage others with this issue to open a support ticket with Ceton as it might help with obtaining a robust fix.
I am not disagreeing with anyone, just chiming in with my experiences with just my HTPC over the last few years (OTA tuners first and now infiniTV pcie). I have always had issues with any tuner that I have used with the 3 different HTPCs that I have had over the years when I left video running over night. WMC seems to run maintenance and other stuff at random times. I sometimes had to re-boot just WMC or the PC to get tv working again. I always stop playback of content before I turn off the TV. I had thought about trying to make my harmony press stop first before turning off the TV, but didn't take the time to figure it out. But this has always been an issue for me Win 7 and Win 8 with any tuner.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:45 pm

I have, for some time now, been running streaming 24/7 from the Dell to two different extenders (Linksys 2200) one connected by s-video and the other by component from a Ceton USB for one channel and a Ceton PCIe for the other channel. There have been zero issues with MC stopping or running maintenance. With this set-up you can actually turn off the tv set and the extender will continue to stream to the tv set. You cannot, however, do this with a HDMI connection and there-in is our issue. The Echo has only a HDMI connection and so far it still has problems making HDMI connections to several devices. Other extenders connected by HDMI will dump back to the MC menu (guide or where it was left) if you turn off the tv set. Can't speak to the xbox, but it is true for Linksys 2100 and 2200 and for HP280n extenders and of course the Echo will not stay connected to the tuner if the tv is shut off.

However, if I boot the echo with the tv set off, I don't get the HDCP error on first playback that I get if the tv set is live when the echo is booted. This leads me to suspect handshake issues with the HDMI connection or some evil plot by Intel and its HDMI licensing unit to "rule the world".

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Motz wrote:
fiteclub wrote:I have been dealing with this issue from day 1 with the Echo, so it is not a new problem. I have an open ticket with Ceton support so they are aware of the problem but obviously have yet to fix it. Being able to turn off your TV while a station is playing and expecting to later turn your TV back on and having the station still playing, seems to be a basic requirement of a good extender.
I am not disagreeing with anyone, just chiming in with my experiences with just my HTPC over the last few years (OTA tuners first and now infiniTV pcie). I have always had issues with any tuner that I have used with the 3 different HTPCs that I have had over the years when I left video running over night. WMC seems to run maintenance and other stuff at random times. I sometimes had to re-boot just WMC or the PC to get tv working again. I always stop playback of content before I turn off the TV. I had thought about trying to make my harmony press stop first before turning off the TV, but didn't take the time to figure it out. But this has always been an issue for me Win 7 and Win 8 with any tuner.
My Harmony does exactly that with my HTPC and my HDCP issues went away. It's easy to do Motz. In the Harmony software, there's the section on start up and shutdown. Add in a command for the PC that is "remote sends "Stop" command. or something like that. I also have my Harmony set up to start into LiveTV in the start up sequence. It is seamless.

pluto30306

Post by pluto30306 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:50 am

Just a POV ... I have a Scheduled Task setup to reboot the HTPC every night at 3:15pm. via the "shutdown.exe" (found in the windows\system32 folder). The shutdown with attributes /F /R added..makes things reboot (/R) and forces a shut down (/F) of programs running that might get hung up. Set WMC7 to self-optimize between 12am - 6am.

I keep the Echo on 24/7...which I think might need to reboot as well every 24hrs.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm

pluto30306 wrote:Just a POV ... I have a Scheduled Task setup to reboot the HTPC every night at 3:15pm. via the "shutdown.exe" (found in the windows\system32 folder). The shutdown with attributes /F /R added..makes things reboot (/R) and forces a shut down (/F) of programs running that might get hung up. Set WMC7 to self-optimize between 12am - 6am.

I keep the Echo on 24/7...which I think might need to reboot as well every 24hrs.
Just added that to mine. I think that is most likely the reason why mine doesn't do it reliably.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 pm

pluto30306 wrote:I keep the Echo on 24/7...which I think might need to reboot as well every 24hrs.
Why do you have to leave the Echo on 24/7?

pluto30306

Post by pluto30306 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
pluto30306 wrote:I keep the Echo on 24/7...which I think might need to reboot as well every 24hrs.
Why do you have to leave the Echo on 24/7?
I really don't mean to..but it's allows for turning on the TV with instant access to the menus.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:44 pm

pluto30306 wrote:I really don't mean to..but it's allows for turning on the TV with instant access to the menus.
I've been using a slightly different sequence. In the past, with different firmware, I found a sequence that worked for me and I haven't changed it. Now it's just automatic, maybe I'm superstitious. The order I use is TV 1st, AVR 2nd, Echo 3rd. For me anyway, I get no HDMI handshake errors. Is my sequence not necesary anymore?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
pluto30306 wrote:I really don't mean to..but it's allows for turning on the TV with instant access to the menus.
I've been using a slightly different sequence. In the past, with different firmware, I found a sequence that worked for me and I haven't changed it. Now it's just automatic, maybe I'm superstitious. The order I use is TV 1st, AVR 2nd, Echo 3rd. For me anyway, I get no HDMI handshake errors. Is my sequence not necesary anymore?
I'v been leaving the echo on and then powering up the TV and AVR. When I moved the echo to a new TV and shut that TV off I have HDCP errors when turning on the TV but this seems to be related to whether or not the channel last tuned is copy once.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 am

pluto30306 wrote:Just a POV ... I have a Scheduled Task setup to reboot the HTPC every night at 3:15pm. via the "shutdown.exe" (found in the windows\system32 folder). The shutdown with attributes /F /R added..makes things reboot (/R) and forces a shut down (/F) of programs running that might get hung up. Set WMC7 to self-optimize between 12am - 6am.

I have a weekly restart of my SD HDHomeRun Prime 6CC and HTPC as well. I did find out that shutdown /r /f /t 0 did cause issues with WMC if something happened to be recording. I dropped the /f and just rely on the system rebooting on the next attempt. I also disabled WMC Optimization. The option seems to cause stability issues with ehrecvr. I scheduled daily defrag of my recording drive at 4:00 AM and use the highest block size. MSE is also run at 3:00 AM daily. Windows update is set to Sunday morning weekly installs, so I can fix /rollback before traveling for work or Sunday primetime. The theme here is to schedule tasks outside of normal / common viewing and recording hours.