Echo IR receiver does not work well - SOLVED

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Dean L. Surkin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Fri May 10, 2013 4:20 pm

erkotz wrote:
Dean L. Surkin wrote:Choosing a particular device shouldn't change the responsiveness of the Echo; choosing a particular device only changes the pulse code sent via IR. Like Sammy2, I have my remote (URC MX-810) set to emulate Windows Media Center. The codes are clearly correct, but the Echo's responsiveness to IR commands remains flaky.
That is not true. As we mentioned in the similar thread on avsforum, in particular learning remotes may not really have the correct IR code, so responsiveness may suffer
Eric:
So if I understand this correctly, it's possible that the URC emulation does not use the correct codes? The Ceton Knowledgebase says "Echo uses the standard Windows Media Center RC6 remote codes, so any configuration file designed to simulate the Windows Media Center remote (such as MCE-remote-1039.ccf) will work with the Echo." The URC database was constructed using WMC RC6 remote codes. So are you saying that URC didn't correctly input the WMC RC6 remote codes?

I will try to verify whether or not URC uses the same codes posted in the Knowledgebase.
Dean L. Surkin

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Fri May 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Read mdavej's post of AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386351/offic ... t_23294768

RC6 is a nasty, nasty protocol and the implementation of the protocol makes a big difference. The codes can be right, but the timing wrong...

xnappo

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Very good information. Thanks.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:41 pm

xnappo wrote:Read mdavej's post of AVS:

RC6 is a nasty, nasty protocol and the implementation of the protocol makes a big difference. The codes can be right, but the timing wrong...

xnappo
It's also possible that the Echo has implemented the RC6 protocol wrong. Ever thought of that? Explain why the remote that was supplied with the Echo exhibits the same behavior (yes, I removed the film), and so does the remote that was supplied with the DMA-2200 (but works fine with the DMA-2200).

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Sat May 11, 2013 1:32 am

I have imported the hex codes into my MX-810 one code at a time. My first attempt had many keys not working at all. Some, such as the number buttons, seem to work very well. I have tried to reimport the ones that didn't work, and I'm going to try it again now.

Of course, I saved the old configuration just in case, and I'm only trying this on the den remote (WAF is low enough right now as is, without experimenting with the bedroom remote).
Dean L. Surkin

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Sat May 11, 2013 1:43 am

Dean L. Surkin wrote:I have imported the hex codes into my MX-810 one code at a time. My first attempt had many keys not working at all. Some, such as the number buttons, seem to work very well. I have tried to reimport the ones that didn't work, and I'm going to try it again now.

Of course, I saved the old configuration just in case, and I'm only trying this on the den remote (WAF is low enough right now as is, without experimenting with the bedroom remote).
Okay, I tried again. The cursor pad (up, down, left, right, enter) does not work; channel up and down doesn't work. I can't test rewind or fast forward since the non-working enter key prevents me from playing a recorded show.

I"m going to try again, using the "enter" command instead of the "okay" command, and see if makes a difference.

Okay, I tried it again. No dice. I went back to my saved configuration. The remote works as before--a little flaky, but at least all the commands work.

I admit I'm very puzzled by this; the codes supplied by Ceton should work, and I know that the remote works.
Dean L. Surkin

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat May 11, 2013 2:53 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
xnappo wrote:Read mdavej's post of AVS:

xnappo
It's also possible that the Echo has implemented the RC6 protocol wrong. Ever thought of that? Explain why the remote that was supplied with the Echo exhibits the same behavior (yes, I removed the film), and so does the remote that was supplied with the DMA-2200 (but works fine with the DMA-2200).
Could be. It would take more analysis to find out. Works perfectly on my UEI remote. Maybe they got it right and Ceton's contractor got it wrong. Just throwing some ideas out there to hopefully get others a working solution.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:18 pm

mdavej wrote:Could be. It would take more analysis to find out. Works perfectly on my UEI remote. Maybe they got it right and Ceton's contractor got it wrong. Just throwing some ideas out there to hopefully get others a working solution.
Define "perfectly". Are you saying that you never have a problem where a command is registered twice, when you only pressed the button once? What about commands that don't register at all unless you point the remote directly at the Echo?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat May 11, 2013 9:47 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
mdavej wrote:Could be. It would take more analysis to find out. Works perfectly on my UEI remote. Maybe they got it right and Ceton's contractor got it wrong. Just throwing some ideas out there to hopefully get others a working solution.
Define "perfectly". Are you saying that you never have a problem where a command is registered twice, when you only pressed the button once? What about commands that don't register at all unless you point the remote directly at the Echo?
No doubles, no misses, ever. I always aim at the Echo, so I don't know how far off angle I have to go to make it fail. I've never used the Echo remote.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 pm

mdavej wrote:No doubles, no misses, ever. I always aim at the Echo, so I don't know how far off angle I have to go to make it fail. I've never used the Echo remote.
How would you say it compares to your other equipment (BD/DVD player, AV receiver, cable/satellite box, eHome receiver, etc)? All of my other equipment works fine even if I point the remote elsewhere, but usually in the general direction of the component (e.g. I can point my remote at the ceiling, angled toward the component). But the Echo didn't. I had to point the remote directly at the Echo, or it just wasn't reliable at all. Then, even when pointed directly at the Echo, it would sometimes register a button-press twice.

nick

Post by nick » Sun May 12, 2013 1:56 am

I have had 0 problems once removing the plastic on the front of the echo.

Remotes tried:

Echo's remote
HP Media Center PC Remote Control 5187-6727
Harmony 650
TWC universal CLIKR-5 Backlit v4 UR5U
Rosewill RRC-126

Dean L. Surkin

Post by Dean L. Surkin » Sun May 12, 2013 2:46 am

I read Nick's post #31 with interest, also barnabas1969 post #28 and #30. I still have problems with both my Echos either registering double clicks, or missing clicks entirely. I have to careful how I angle the remote: in the den, the remote has to be at a 45 degree angle (instead of the usual and intuitive parallel to the floor), and in the bedroom, the remote has to be exactly parallel to the floor. In both situations, the remote has to be within 30 degrees of the front of the Echo for the clicks to register.

Considering Nick's positive experience, I wonder if his Echo received an IR receiver from a different batch, or even a different supplier? Perhaps many Echos got a batch of IR receivers that are simply substandard?

Nick, if you're ever in the NYC area, bring your remote with you, come over and let's try it on my two Echos. I extend the same invitation to anyone with zero remote problems who ever lives near, or travels near, my residence (southern Westchester County, NY).
Dean L. Surkin

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 am

Dean L. Surkin wrote:I read Nick's post #31 with interest, also barnabas1969 post #28 and #30. I still have problems with both my Echos either registering double clicks, or missing clicks entirely. I have to careful how I angle the remote: in the den, the remote has to be at a 45 degree angle (instead of the usual and intuitive parallel to the floor), and in the bedroom, the remote has to be exactly parallel to the floor. In both situations, the remote has to be within 30 degrees of the front of the Echo for the clicks to register.

Considering Nick's positive experience, I wonder if his Echo received an IR receiver from a different batch, or even a different supplier? Perhaps many Echos got a batch of IR receivers that are simply substandard?

Nick, if you're ever in the NYC area, bring your remote with you, come over and let's try it on my two Echos. I extend the same invitation to anyone with zero remote problems who ever lives near, or travels near, my residence (southern Westchester County, NY).
I'm with you, Dean. It never worked as well as any of my other electronic devices worked with remote controls. That, plus the other problems, was why I shipped it back.

Hopefully, Ceton will make it work reasonably well in the near future. I'd still like to see it succeed, but as it was when I had it... it was far from ready for prime-time. Based on what I've read, it still isn't. Maybe the elusive Android update will make it amazing. Who knows?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun May 12, 2013 6:22 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
mdavej wrote:No doubles, no misses, ever. I always aim at the Echo, so I don't know how far off angle I have to go to make it fail. I've never used the Echo remote.
How would you say it compares to your other equipment (BD/DVD player, AV receiver, cable/satellite box, eHome receiver, etc)? All of my other equipment works fine even if I point the remote elsewhere, but usually in the general direction of the component (e.g. I can point my remote at the ceiling, angled toward the component). But the Echo didn't. I had to point the remote directly at the Echo, or it just wasn't reliable at all. Then, even when pointed directly at the Echo, it would sometimes register a button-press twice.
About the same I guess, but far better than Xbox. I just did a few tests and from 10', I can be 60 degress off axis left to right or 30 degrees up down. If course this is meaningless unless you have a remote exactly like mine. Xbox on the other hand, I don't even have a 5 degree margin of error. Xbox was more sluggish as well than the Echo.

I still have yet to get a double command or a missed one. I have been very pleased with Echo, and am glad to be rid of my Xbox and it's slowness, bulk, inefficiency and loud power brick.
Last edited by mdavej on Mon May 13, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick

Post by nick » Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 am

I had a lot of fat-finger problems with the Echo's included remote (buttons are way too small and no backlight).

My echo is one of the beta units. If you have 2 with issues that's a little concerning.

I've tried 10-15 feet away and ~40-90 degree angles to the side and ~-20 to -35 degrees vertical without issue. The echo is mounted on a tv on the wall so the remote is coming from a lower angle. Maybe try the same angle?

brandenwan

Post by brandenwan » Tue May 14, 2013 2:42 am

Bottom line: The remote is nice looking, button cells, battery cover, and battery compartment are all ridiculous. The back pops off now and again, the remote stops working, and I have to pull the batteries out and put them back in. That double plastic film on the Echo was just stupid Stupid STUPID! The IR light is also LAME. The IR receiver is ok, but it's net sensitivity is poor. I have an L5 learning remote (iPhone dependent) that cloned every key on the Ceton remote, along with it's timing and what a difference! I can aim my L5 just about 180 degrees away from the IR receiver, and guess what? It still works. The IR light bounces off the wall and still hits the receiver.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat May 18, 2013 9:50 pm

mdavej wrote:I still have yet to get a double command or a missed one.
OK this is interesting. After limping along with powerline ethernet, I just replaced it with Moca, greatly improving the performance of my extenders. And guess what, now I get double commands. So apparently debounce is not handled correctly for a fast network, but a slow network masks the problem.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:52 pm

Fix one thing and chase another I guess..