Windows 7 Host and Windows 8 Guest Tuner Reservation Issue

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
skim32

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 Host and Windows 8 Guest Tuner Reservation Issue

Post by skim32 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:45 am

So okay. I have a windows 7 host machine that actually has the InfiniTV4 installed in it. I have 2 extenders. One running windows 7 and one running windows 8. I wanted tuner 1 to be the host. Tuner 2 and 3 to be the windows 8 extender. And lastly tuner 4 to be the the other windows 7 extender.

Now here comes the problem. When I setup the windows 8 box, it does not reserve tuner 2 and 3. Instead it tries to use all of the tuners starting from tuner 1. So when I watch TV on my windows 8 extender, it will kill the Host machine as it is supposed to have tuner 1. Even though it's supposed to be reserved. But for some reason, it allows my windows 8 extender to take over it. So I have a work around going but it's not exactly bullet proof. I set up my windows 7 host to be tuner 3. Windows 7 extender to be tuner 4. And then my windows 8 box will just use the tuners starting from the bottom up (meaning 1-4.) Only problem is, if I ever attempt to use 3 tuners on my Windows 8 extender, it will kill either the host or the windows 7 extender. I have to manually keep track of and make sure I'm not recording/watching 3 or more channels at once. Which is a pain if you do a lot of recording.

Anyone else seeing a similar issue? The only thing I haven't tried is a factory reset on the host machine. And not sure if my drivers are up to date. I think they are fairly up to date as I do remember fiddling with it last month. I seriously wonder what actually does the Tuner reservation. The host or the guest? My guess is the guest, seeing how windows 8 can just take over a tuner even though it says it's reserved for another box. Another thing is, that even though i try to reserve just tuner 1 and 2 on my windows 8 extender, the hostname of my extender never appear to the right of the tuner 1 and 2. It just remains blank. I wonder if Ceton can look into this issue. Possibly find a way to prohibit windows 8 from using certain tuners. Maybe not in the form of a driver, but a firmware update. So maybe we can just manually go into the web interface of the Ceton and just click something to forbid a certain computer from using a certain tuner. That would help out a lot.