WTV files won't play on Xbox 360

newbyj99

HTPC Specs: Show details

WTV files won't play on Xbox 360

Post by newbyj99 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:33 am

Last year I began ripping all of my DVDs to .wtv format. With Windows 7, the movies played fine through WMC on my Xbox 360.

Since upgrading to Windows 8, I cannot play the movies through WMC on the 360. I get the error message that files needed to play the video are missing or corrupted, restart the computer or WMC.

Does anyone know if there is anyway to fix this? I read elsewhere on here that similar issues can be caused by outdated graphics drivers. I have a Lenevo H320 with on-board Intel HD graphics (integrated in the processor). I have downloaded what appears to be an updated Windows 8 driver from Intel but it will not install on my system.

The wtv files play fan on the PC and will stream to the 360 fine through the "Play to" function. But it is very frustrating not to be able to play them directly through WMC on the 360.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:33 am

You're the first person I've ever heard that rips their DVD's to .wtv format. Why not .mp4?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:37 am

JazJon wrote:You're the first person I've ever heard that rips their DVD's to .wtv format. Why not .mp4?
Native FF/RW support.

newbyj99

Post by newbyj99 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 am

That is correct. I read that with wtv you can Ff/Rw. Mp4s still play fine on the 360 but I don't want to re-rip my collection if I can avoid it.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:31 pm

I rip all my DVDs to WTV its fast and easy and no transcoding is needed, so I'm at least the second person who does this :)

When you ripped the DVDs to WTV did you convert them to a different codec before adding them to the WTV container?

Is it all the DVD to WTV rips or just some?

If I was to guess it has something to do with the way Windows 8 is trying to handle the audio stream, might see if there is an updated audio driver.

If you converted the DVDs to WTV using MakeMKV and then just put them in to the WTV container using ToDRVMS, try installing hallisplitter.

newbyj99

Post by newbyj99 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 pm

I just use the stanrdard .wtv option from VideoRedo.

You may be onto something with the audio. Since upgrading to Windows 8, i have not been able to play sound through the HDMI connection and have had to use the anaglog jack for sound. Again, it is on-board sound and neither Intel nor Leveno have released updated Win8 drivers. Frustrating that for a machine only a few years old I can't get updated drivers.

However, the wtv files play fine on the computer itself. Just not the 360. (They played fine on the 360 prior to the upgrade to Win8).

newbyj99

Post by newbyj99 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:17 am

If anyone is interested, I figured out what the problem was. I noticed by accident that some of the first files I ripped to wtv were still playing on the Xbox 360. Then it occurred to me that there had been an update to VideoRedo a few months ago. Turned out that all the files I ripped since the update wouldn't play on the 360 through WMC.

Downloaded a beta update of VideoRedo and the rips are now working fine. Had nothing to do with WIndows 8.

sduphily

Post by sduphily » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Hrmmm...you have me really concerned because I have been ripping DVD and BR to wtv for a few years now and it would really suck to have to reconvert them all to wtv if I planned to go Win8...which btw isn't happening for a long while :)