Green Button doesn't launch MC

train_depot

HTPC Specs: Show details

Green Button doesn't launch MC

Post by train_depot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm

After upgrading from Vista everything pretty much works like it used to except one very annoying thing...

The Green Button on the the WMC remote does not launch MC like it used to. Before in VMC, even if the PC was asleep, the Green Button would wake it up and launch MC (I might have had to press the "enter" button to get past the lock screen - can't remember), now it just wakes it up and stays on the lock screen. So you have to get back up from the couch ( :roll: ) and go and press enter on the keyboard which takes you to the Apps screen; the Green Button still doesn't work. If you switch to the desktop, THEN the Green Button works.

Is there a fix for this?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:41 pm

Press 'OK' on your remote instead for the lock screen. The Start Screen issue is a known bug. A workaround is to pin Media Center to the Start Screen and then use the remote to navigate to that and hit the 'OK' button on your remote again.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:37 am

Yeah don't you just love how MS forces you to stay inside the Start screen? I too have to manually press OK after I highlight the Media Center icon. Keep it in the upper left for quick access.

train_depot

Post by train_depot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:48 pm

staknhalo wrote:Press 'OK' on your remote instead for the lock screen. The Start Screen issue is a known bug. A workaround is to pin Media Center to the Start Screen and then use the remote to navigate to that and hit the 'OK' button on your remote again.
That seems to be the trick, thanks. If it was previously in MC then OK on the remote when it's on the lock screen takes it straight back to MC. If it was left on the Start Screen then using the remote to navigate to the MC tile seems to work.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm not using Win8, but I've read lots of other posts with solutions to start Media Center using the Task Scheduler. Wouldn't this method work at resume from sleep?

seekrtz

Post by seekrtz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 am

The green button should launch Media Center from the metro start screen without having to select and press okay on the MC tile.

I have run into a couple weird issues with the MC remote and certain buttons not working after a restart (volume/back buttons to be exact) and had to go into device manager to toggle disable/enable on the ehome receiver driver (very annoying) to get it functioning again.

It seems that the Human Interface Device Access service is incorrectly remaining in manual start mode in Windows 8, but manually setting this service to start automatically prevents the remote buttons from losing certain key maps after a restart. I am not sure if this will allow you to actually start Media Center from the metro start screen using the green button on the remote, but it's worth a try.

Also, use the netplwiz command to bypass the lock screen after a restart/resume and disable the "require a password on wakeup" option under power options as well.

jackpeterson

Post by jackpeterson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:24 am

I had a few buttons that were not working correctly, including the "Green Button". I deleted the "Human Interface Devices - Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver". Then rebooted and everything came back. Don't know if this will work for you, but it is worth a try.

kwed

Post by kwed » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 pm

I bought an smk-link vp6364 remote for my htpc. It has a dedicated green button that launches WMC from either metro or desktop mode. I really can't compain about the remote. I wired my surround sound so that the computer controls it, so this remote does everything except turn on the tv.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Has someone tried this?
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... sktop/6976
It's a scheduled task shortcut method to force windows to boot directly to the desktop.
Maybe then we can have Media Center auto-start like it used to as well.
Someone try it! :)