Streaming to laptop...

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
gdkinsman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Streaming to laptop...

Post by gdkinsman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:58 pm

I started doing some research to find out if there is a way to view WMC content on our laptops in our house. Sometimes we don't need to power up the whole HTPC/Plasma/Home Theater sytem at over 800 Watts and just watching on a laptop while multi-tasking would be fine. I started looking at Slingbox and Remote Potato, but since I'm already highly invested in the InfiniTV4/Echo/My Media Center Apps world, I thought I'd just press the easy button and asked the question here. Can you point me in the right direction?

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 pm

While we continue to work on streaming inside the apps if you wanted to just stream recorded tv to other laptops in the house all you would have to do is configure WMC on that laptop. When you go into libraries you could just add your main WMC Recorded TV folder to the Recorded TV library on your laptop. Then from there you would have access to all your recordings inside the house.

As for Live TV you would need to configure the infiniTV to do network bridging and expose one of the tuners to be configurable over the network. Then on your laptop you would have access to 1 or more tuners dedicated to that laptop.

In both of these cases this would require your main HTPC to be on at a minimum. I am not sure if this is what you were looking for though. Let me know.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 am

Motz's suggestion is the easist way to watch recorded TV on your laptop. (just configured media center library of the laptop to point at the recorded tv share of the media center)

Maybe something like this Desktop Mirroring thing being worked on can be used for a Media Center Extender Softsled & or SlingBox Win 8 work around.

http://www.arcsoft.com/company/pr-demo.html

Demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXf39QOS ... vI4xb6di3A

gdkinsman

Post by gdkinsman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:17 am

Setting up WMC on the laptop should be easy to access recorded media. I'll grab my wife's laptop and figure out how to do it. Setting it up to access live TV sounds a bit more involved. I will definately need some more bread crumbs to follow on that one.

gdkinsman

Post by gdkinsman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:51 am

Got the laptop connected within WMC to the computer where recorded TV is kept plus a NAS where I keep longer term recordings. So that was easy. I'll need some step by step instructions setting up live TV...

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:11 am

I Write, Code, and Tweet

gdkinsman

Post by gdkinsman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 am

If I am understanding this correctly, setting up the laptop to access one of the TV tuners would remove that tuners access from the HTPC. If that's the case, I rather find a solution that doesn't dimenish my current capibilities. I'll look into the desktop mirroring option...