Windows 8 app on host HTPC

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
djsalt

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8 app on host HTPC

Post by djsalt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:56 am

Um, might be missing something - just got this app. I understand you can use it for remotely accessing my HTPC but it is a much nicer interface than the media center one so can I use the app instead of media center on the host computer?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 am

The Win8 app can't talk to the Ceton Service on the same machine - that's a limitation imposed on all apps in the Windows store, it's not a limitation of the way Ceton developed the app.

So unfortunately, you can't use the app to manage Media Center on the same machine - it can only talk to Media Center on a 2nd PC.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:59 am

First thank you for the kind words of the app and the interface :) I worked pretty hard on it and I just got through reading all the feedback on the store and it is very touching and means a lot to me.

As foxwood say it is a restriction of all Windows Store apps on any PC :( we call this "loopback" which means a metro app can talk to a service running on the same PC. For developers we are special and are enable it for development, however Microsoft disables it completely for everyone else for "security". Although I feel like they should just allow apps to ask for permission as there is no real concern.

Documentation:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 80593.aspx
I Write, Code, and Tweet

djsalt

Post by djsalt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:51 am

Thanks for the quick response. What a real pity. It's funny how it is actually easier to manage and use media center on a tablet remotely using My Media Center than using the Windows software on the actual htpc itself!

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Please see this post for work around.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =64&t=4352
I Write, Code, and Tweet