Your thoughts on The FCC

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Your thoughts on The FCC

Post by STC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 pm

[Split Topic from: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 269#p41126]

Yeah... Thankfully the FCC does little over here to wreck things.
That said, our CRTC have their rectums clamped so hard around the two big players,- Bell and Rogers that our prices are ridiculous and our choices are limited.

As of now, all my broadcast channels are copy free. For how long I don't know, I suppose that is up to the individual local cable cos.

[edit]
They seem to be in cahoots with Murdoch :shock:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 pm

STC wrote:Yeah... Thankfully the FCC does little over here to wreck things.
That said, our CRTC have their rectums clamped so hard around the two big players,- Bell and Rogers that our prices are ridiculous and our choices are limited.

As of now, all my broadcast channels are copy free. For how long I don't know, I suppose that is up to the individual local cable cos.
Far from wrecking things... The FCC has provided quite a bit of consumer protection over the decades. For example (one of many), we in the US have guaranteed access to CableCARD while you in Canada don't.

CableCARD was originally intended so that we could buy a TV with a CableCARD slot (or an STB at retail instead of leasing one from the cable provider). Unfortunately, very few TV's were ever produced with a CableCARD slot... which was disappointing for people who wanted access to their digital cable subscription without an STB.

Today, there aren't a lot of options when it comes to retail STB's either. TiVo is the leader in this segment, and even they have only sold units measured in the hundreds of thousands, compared to the millions of leased STB's.

The ATI TV Wonder OCUR tuner has been available for a number of years, but was initially only available with pre-built PC's. When Windows 7 was released, this restriction was removed. Ceton, SiliconDust, and Hauppauge produced multi-tuner OCUR's in 2011, finally making protected cable TV content available to almost anyone with a Windows 7 PC.

Without the FCC, none of this would have been possible. I don't think it's appropriate to disparage the FCC. They are the watchdog protecting our ability to use the content (for which we pay) on hardware that we've purchased and/or built, with the ability to watch it in multiple rooms of our houses... without endless lease payments. We may not agree with all of their decisions, and recently there have been some decisions that go against the spirit of their charter... but the FCC exists to protect us, the consumers. The decision in this case hurts us, but the FCC fought it for a decade. I think that's important to note.

The real foe here is Dish Network (formerly known as Echostar). Vote with your dollars.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

STC wrote:They seem to be in cahoots with Murdoch :shock:
I'll agree that there have been some shady things happening at the FCC recently, but I don't think it was FCC's fault that this case ended the way it did. A panel of judges did this.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Ahh I see you too have your rectum clamped hard on something....
No sorry :) I jest.

I don't mean to be harsh on the FCC. Careful though, they can be a bit squirmy.

Link to how much I pay: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 267#p41267
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123