Has the "Q" totally given up the ghost?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by makryger » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:24 pm

foxwood wrote:
makryger wrote:Maybe it was just me, but i could see this coming for months.
How's the fully functioning version of My Channel Logos for Windows 8 users coming along? Maybe if you'd seen that coming months ago, it'd be ready by now?
Lol, w8 functionality is ready to go! It's all the other new features that are causing the delay... ;)
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lucidrenegade

Post by lucidrenegade » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 pm

Direct from the Embedded Program Manager - no Media Center in Windows 8 Embedded.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... ae15a6a7b5

See the green box marked "Answers". :(

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 pm

DanB_DE wrote:
makryger wrote:I still don't see why the status of windows 8 should have affected their decision to release an embedded system for windows 7. No one would have complained about that, and they could have sold a lot of units.
+1
+2. Made no sense to me before, still doesn't now. It's not like WMC7 Embedded won't be supported for years, I can only suspect MS might have stopped sales of licenses maybe, or there was some question how long they would sell them? Otherwise I don't get it either.

But the future is probably Android assuming Ceton can work out the DRM issues for protected content storage. Or maybe they just gave up when MS shafted them with Win8.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:24 pm

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/Pre ... ed8PR.aspx

Okay, so now that Win8 Embedded has been made avail, does this mean we may soon finally see the Q back on the table?

[Moderator note: topic merged]
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Looking at post 62, I'd say no..........:(

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 920#p46920
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Don't forget the added 'knock-off' TV6 sales.
For those that wouldn't want a Q just yet but would want a 6 in 1 CC tuner.- Moi :)

[Continual Ceton Pestertron v6]
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:08 am

I still don't understand why people keep saying that the lack of Win8 Embedded MCX would result in lost "Q" like functionality. MCX is and always has been MCX. They were never going to have all those apps available INSIDE the MCX experience, even with the original Q/Echo combo. From all the original YouTube videos of the Q/E demo, it was pretty clear that all those extras were OUTSIDE the MCX. Just like the Linksys DVD player, and just like the XBOX "Apps" were all outside the MCX experience.

The drop of the Q, from my own understanding, had more to do with Win8 Embedded not including MCX so they didn't want to put out a long-term support device that relied on Win7Embedded.

If I'm wrong here-- someone PLEASE shed light on this? It may change some of my other plans if this isn't the case so I'm happy to learn if I'm wrong about this.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:21 pm

TheOsburnFamil wrote:I still don't understand why people keep saying that the lack of Win8 Embedded MCX would result in lost "Q" like functionality. MCX is and always has been MCX. They were never going to have all those apps available INSIDE the MCX experience, even with the original Q/Echo combo. From all the original YouTube videos of the Q/E demo, it was pretty clear that all those extras were OUTSIDE the MCX. Just like the Linksys DVD player, and just like the XBOX "Apps" were all outside the MCX experience.

The drop of the Q, from my own understanding, had more to do with Win8 Embedded not including MCX so they didn't want to put out a long-term support device that relied on Win7Embedded.

If I'm wrong here-- someone PLEASE shed light on this? It may change some of my other plans if this isn't the case so I'm happy to learn if I'm wrong about this.
This has been hashed out repeatedly in other threads - there is no technical reason why they couldn't have released the Q with Win7 Embedded (and WMC) because it is a fully supported and licensable product and will be for many years. My guess is that they took a look at the cost of the product and potential market and just couldn't make the numbers work, not because Win8 Embedded dropped WMC. But it does make you wonder why and if they are moving away from WMC with Android (maybe), what is the backend DVR alternative? It better not be some cloud-based crap.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:54 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:This has been hashed out repeatedly in other threads - there is no technical reason why they couldn't have released the Q with Win7 Embedded (and WMC) because it is a fully supported and licensable product and will be for many years. My guess is that they took a look at the cost of the product and potential market and just couldn't make the numbers work, not because Win8 Embedded dropped WMC. But it does make you wonder why and if they are moving away from WMC with Android (maybe), what is the backend DVR alternative? It better not be some cloud-based crap.
On the whole Q/embedded discussion - do ya'll remember that "Whiteman Technology" DVR that was supposed to surface? I thought it's plan was also to run W7 embedded and (obviously) that product is dead. Now I give Ceton much more credibility than "Whiteman Technology" considering Ceton actually has products to market, but it makes me wonder if that product was dropped for similar reasons Ceton dropped the Q (seemed to be about the same time) - reasons (outside of cost) that are probably more contract/service limitations that would defeat their original intent of what they wanted to do with the product.

I would serioulsy doubt they'd attempt a cloud based solution if they implement their own backend considering their hardware is localized to the installation - and all the other issues (like bandwidth) that would ensue. But I guess you never know.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:30 pm

grinchy wrote:On the whole Q/embedded discussion - do ya'll remember that "Whiteman Technology" DVR that was supposed to surface? I thought it's plan was also to run W7 embedded and (obviously) that product is dead. Now I give Ceton much more credibility than "Whiteman Technology" considering Ceton actually has products to market, but it makes me wonder if that product was dropped for similar reasons Ceton dropped the Q (seemed to be about the same time) - reasons (outside of cost) that are probably more contract/service limitations that would defeat their original intent of what they wanted to do with the product.

I would serioulsy doubt they'd attempt a cloud based solution if they implement their own backend considering their hardware is localized to the installation - and all the other issues (like bandwidth) that would ensue. But I guess you never know.
I still contend the biggest issue is guide data. A DVR is pretty much useless without it, and they (Ceton or Whitemen) probably couldn't get Microsoft to guarantee Guide data availability, at least not to a point that would make the Q viable. I don't think Ceton would have much trouble from a technology standpoint getting 3rd party data and integrating into WMC, but the problem is where do you get the data? Regardless of the Source (Zap2It, TVGuide, etc) it wouldn't be free, which would almost certainly turn into another subscription fee.

What I'm wondering is how the guide data shows up on the CableCo equipment. I seem to recall reading about it once, many moons ago, but I haven't been able to find anything on it in recent days. If there is an industry standard for it and its not encrypted, I wonder if it is something that the InfiniTV could access. That would be ideal.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:55 pm

grinchy wrote:do ya'll remember that "Whiteman Technology" DVR that was supposed to surface? I thought it's plan was also to run W7 embedded and (obviously) that product is dead.
That product isn't dead...it's still being developed. They only announced it in April 2012, and in October 2012, Whiteman Technology reached an agreement to acquire Touch TV Inc. in order to integrate touch capability into the Delta DVR.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 am

richard1980 wrote:
grinchy wrote:do ya'll remember that "Whiteman Technology" DVR that was supposed to surface? I thought it's plan was also to run W7 embedded and (obviously) that product is dead.
That product isn't dead...it's still being developed. They only announced it in April 2012, and in October 2012, Whiteman Technology reached an agreement to acquire Touch TV Inc. in order to integrate touch capability into the Delta DVR.
<snort> http://whitemantechnology.com/about/

yeah. After just *reading* that baloney I have to go wash my hands, to get the snake oil off.

My favorite part is "development began in 2008". It's now the middle of 2013, according to my calendar...

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:27 am

Have to concur with adam, pretty much vaporware at this point from what I can see. Whiteman started a thread over at AVS about his DVR and then disappeared last year.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:38 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:Have to concur with adam, pretty much vaporware at this point from what I can see. Whiteman started a thread over at AVS about his DVR and then disappeared last year.
Ditto.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 pm

adam1991 wrote:
richard1980 wrote:
<snort> http://whitemantechnology.com/about/

yeah. After just *reading* that baloney I have to go wash my hands, to get the snake oil off.

My favorite part is "development began in 2008". It's now the middle of 2013, according to my calendar...
<disclaimer>
Obviously my employer would be a competitor on Whiteman, at least on some level, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I also am speaking just for myself and not my employer
</disclaimer>

IMHO the Whiteman Delta DVR was a joke from the beginning, at least as far as what was demoed. It was a few off the shelf technologies thrown together - I could have built the exact same thing in an afternoon. It was basically Win7 Embedded + My Channel Logos + Tuner Salad + 2 HD Homerun Primes + an Amulet remote. I believe even the case was off the shelf.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah, but being able to buy a pre-built/configured WMC HTPC that comes with support has appeal and isn't something to scoff at. AssasinHTPC has made a business out of it.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:41 pm

staknhalo wrote:Yeah, but being able to buy a pre-built/configured WMC HTPC that comes with support has appeal and isn't something to scoff at. AssasinHTPC has made a business out of it.
I'm not saying that a pre-built HTPC is a bad thing, but my understanding was that Whiteman was claiming the Delta had all sorts of new technology in it, but it was literally all off the shelf products that were already out there.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Gotcha.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:42 pm

My previous post was about the difference between what Whiteman is doing and what Ceton is doing. At least Whiteman is still working on the Delta DVR (albeit extremely slowly), which is more than what Ceton is doing with the Q.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:52 pm

He's a complete ghost at this point though. We have no clue if he's still working on it, or he just didn't bother to tell anyone "it's dead". His noticeable absence makes a majority think the latter.