Arcsoft TMT5 and 24p can you explain ?

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Some good Info on 24p here : http://www.missingremote.com/blog/24p-w ... hould-know
Also some updated info on Arcsoft TMT5 latest beta here : http://www.missingremote.com/blog/arcso ... -5-updated

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:08 pm

newfiend wrote:Some good Info on 24p here : http://www.missingremote.com/blog/24p-w ... hould-know
Also some updated info on Arcsoft TMT5 latest beta here : http://www.missingremote.com/blog/arcso ... -5-updated
Thanks Newfiend I will have a read of your links in a bit!

I Just started playing Space Odyssey 2001 and that switches to 24HZ as well so its looking good for version .114 and WMC

I'm just glad my HDTV supports 24P as it was not a feature I looked for in the specs when I bought it.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 pm

No problem.. I have a 24p TV also and have been looking forward to this feature now included in TMT5.. Now that the software will automatically switch to this mode I am excited to try the latest beta when I get home.
Let me know how you get on..
Good Luck!
newfiend~

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:15 pm

So this should prevent motion judder correct?

My onboard GPU is only an ATI HD 4200 but Blu-rays generally played OK at 60Hz in PowerDVD 10 and in TMT 5 within MCE, before they added this new 24P feature.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:16 pm

It really makes a difference. Next time a scene pans check how smooth the background passes by. Also great for action.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:17 pm

We posted at the same time. Yes correct. It prevents judder.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:21 pm

stonethecrows wrote:We posted at the same time. Yes correct. It prevents judder.
Yes it makes it silky smooth.. Or basically delivers the video to your screen as the director intended it to be seen.. Without it some video can look choppy and some of the special effects or fast moving objects don't look quite right. Like STC said high motion video will look much better..

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 pm

stonethecrows wrote:It really makes a difference. Next time a scene pans check how smooth the background passes by. Also great for action.
OK great I will watch some movies and report back.

You will need to upgrade My Movies to 4.02 PR 1 as well if you update TMT to .114
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:28 pm

Great!
Interesting you run 60Hz, how does that affect regular UK TV broadcasts that are in PAL50?

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:41 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Great!
Interesting you run 60Hz, how does that affect regular UK TV broadcasts that are in PAL50?
Seems to work OK, although I don't watch live TV in MCE usually and just use the inbuilt tuner in the TV.

Once I get a new tuner card for the WHS and a new digital aerial on the roof I will probably upgrade to DVBLogic V4 and use live TV in MCE more.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 pm

After reading Newfiend's article on 24P I decided to switch the Windows Desktop and Media Center Monitor settings back to 50HZ.

On the LG TVs they call it "REAL CINEMA" this is an ON/OFF option in the TV's advanced picture menus, you can't actually turn it on manually when viewing 50/60Hz content, but it now automatically turns on when I play Blu-rays in TMT5 and as such changes to 24HZ.

A couple of quotes from the article:

"Naturally, people wanted a way to take film content shown in cinemas and display it on their televisions. However, this presents a problem because film and video frame rates are different. To compensate, “telecine” was created which is the general term used for “pulling down” film frames into video."

"For PAL, the solution was rather simple: the film frame rate was simply sped up 4% from 24fps to 25fps. This technique, also known as 2:2 pulldown, does have the affect of slightly altering the sound of the film and displaying video slightly faster than intended."

"For NTSC, the solution was a bit more complex. First, the film rate was slowed by 0.1% to 23.976fps. Next, frames of film are displayed in an alternating sequence of two or three fields in order to match the NTSC field rate. This technique is also known as 2:3 (or 3:2) pulldown."

Anyway's so far so good I've watched a couple of movies and the fast motion scenes look good!
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:19 pm

I thought the 24p blog was great info.. I wasn't really sure what it all meant either until I read it. Glad to hear its working out smooth for you. I will be installing it as soon as I get home. Thanks for the update Stuart!!
Going to have to watch a little Avatar and Transformers when I get home..Wish I had Fast n' Furious on Blu-Ray :D
newfiend

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:22 pm

One thing I have noticed is I have black bars left and right of the picture as well as top and bottom. I don't recall it having a gap left and right before and not filling the entire width of the screen.

When I set the desktop to 50Hz in ATI CCC I also had to use the scaling option to push out the desktop to fill the TV screen, this is normal however and I usually have to use this scaling option in CCC.

Edit: When I go back to Media Center from viewing in TMT those gaps left and right disappear and MCE fills the entire width.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 pm

cw-kid wrote:One thing I have noticed is I have black bars left and right of the picture as well as top and bottom. I don't recall it having a gap left and right before and not filling the entire width of the screen.

When I set the desktop to 50Hz in ATI CCC I also had to use the scaling option to push out the desktop out to fill the TV screen, this is normal however and I usually have to use this scaling option in CCC.
Hmm.. Interesting. I'm running an Nvidia GT430.. I'll post back If I have the same issue or not..
newfiend~

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Perhaps you can play a movie first before you upgrade to double check and then play the same movie after the upgrade to see if its the same or not. I'm pretty sure it did not have the black gaps left and right before but am not 100% They are not massive so not that bad but still annoying.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

bruce73

Post by bruce73 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:49 pm

newfiend wrote:
cw-kid wrote:One thing I have noticed is I have black bars left and right of the picture as well as top and bottom. I don't recall it having a gap left and right before and not filling the entire width of the screen.

When I set the desktop to 50Hz in ATI CCC I also had to use the scaling option to push out the desktop out to fill the TV screen, this is normal however and I usually have to use this scaling option in CCC.
Hmm.. Interesting. I'm running an Nvidia GT430.. I'll post back If I have the same issue or not..
newfiend~
newfiend, I need to hijack this thread for a minute -- I have a GT430 as well. When I try to bitstream in TMT3, it crashes. It plays nice with TMT5, though. Have you any experience with this, or have you heard mention if it? Arcsoft support is woefully slow getting back to me. Thanks.

{We now return you to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress ...}

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:15 pm

cw-kid wrote:Perhaps you can play a movie first before you upgrade to double check and then play the same movie after the upgrade to see if its the same or not. I'm pretty sure it did not have the black gaps left and right before but am not 100% They are not massive so not that bad but still annoying.
You will also be losing 1:1 pixel mapping which is not good.
It's possible you have to apply the CCC resize to 50Hz mode. When in 24Hz, pause playback, and minimise TMT/WMC, and go to CCC to resize the screen.
See if that fixes it?

Ignore that part.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:16 pm

I have just applied TMT .114 and am happy to report 24p in WMC at full screen.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:23 pm

stonethecrows wrote:
cw-kid wrote:Perhaps you can play a movie first before you upgrade to double check and then play the same movie after the upgrade to see if its the same or not. I'm pretty sure it did not have the black gaps left and right before but am not 100% They are not massive so not that bad but still annoying.
You will also be losing 1:1 pixel mapping which is not good.
It's possible you have to apply the CCC resize to 50Hz mode. When in 24Hz, pause playback, and minimise TMT/WMC, and go to CCC to resize the screen.
See if that fixes it?

Ignore that part.
How do you know if you have 1:1 pixel mapping ?

I paused a blu-ray that was playing, minimized media center and did the scaling thing again in ATI CCC to push out the desktop to fill the screen. Now when I re-play the blu-ray its filling the full screen so its done the trick !!

Thanks
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Oh I just posted before you said ignore that part!
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle