Welcome to the brand new My Media Center!!

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
pduncan1963

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by pduncan1963 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Motz: I thought I saw written somewhere if you purchased the app once, that you can down load the new version free. Does that mean if you purchase the Windows Phone version that you can download the Window 8 version free?

If so, how does that work?

Tester

Post by Tester » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Ceton,
Very nice job on this app, looks great, I hope users truly embrace it.

From a personal standpoint, I have no use for this. I am kinda oldskool, have only 1 TV in my house and 1 remote. I see no need to control what I watch nor what i record remotely or from a second device.
Having said that, one use I would love is for this app to actually play whatever I select on the client device, not just control the server device.
I have a wall mounted windows 8 touch screen PC in my kitchen and I would love to see this app play what I have on my main server/tv system.

Thats just me.
Thanks

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Tester wrote:Ceton,
I have a wall mounted windows 8 touch screen PC in my kitchen and I would love to see this app play what I have on my main server/tv system.
Is it a Windows RT device, or is it Intel based? If it's Intel based, you could install Windows Media Center (though you'd probably have to pay for the upgrade to Win8 Pro first, grumble, grumble) and then just share your recording folder.

If it's a ARM based WindowsRT tablet, then you'll probably have to wait to see whether VLC can play WTV files on RT. Amazingly, you can't play WTV files on an RT tablet using Microsoft's own tools!

Playback in the Ceton App is on the wishlist, but there hasn't been any indication of whether we're talking about weeks or months or years before it shows up.

Tester

Post by Tester » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Its a full blown intel based PC I built from extra parts and installed in my kitchen wall. Yes, I could use MCE ( and Ive been playing around with it), but this app is much more Windows8 friendly and perfect for my needs.
I dont think it will ever happen since MS wants everyone to now use an xbox as an extender, not a pr nor an actual extender ( since win8 ).. I could be wrong, but I believe Ceton's hands are tied on this.

I wish Ceton would just develop their own MCE

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:15 pm

pduncan1963 wrote:Motz: I thought I saw written somewhere if you purchased the app once, that you can down load the new version free. Does that mean if you purchase the Windows Phone version that you can download the Window 8 version free?

If so, how does that work?

Each marketplace is different so if you are buying for Windows Store & Windows Phone Store they are considered different apps by microsoft so you would need to purchase twice like any other paid app. You can install it on multiple devices running the same OS. so for instance an iPad and iPhone or a android phone and tablet or even multple windows 8 pcs.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Tester wrote:Its a full blown intel based PC I built from extra parts and installed in my kitchen wall. Yes, I could use MCE ( and Ive been playing around with it), but this app is much more Windows8 friendly and perfect for my needs.
I presume you used Windows 8 Pro to do the install? If so, you should go ahead and install the Media Center Pack while it's still free (just 2 weeks left). You might think you won't use it, but it also includes codec packs that aren't in Windows 8 without it.

Then you could actually use the Ceton app to control Media Center on the same box (though that probably won't be a hugely satisfying experience, as MC8 wouldn't automatically switch back to the app when it finished playing a video).

lgspencer

Post by lgspencer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Motz: Great job on the Windows 8 app., it's beautiful. I've installed (also installed the android version on my tablet).

(moved questions to another thread)
Last edited by lgspencer on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawne11

Post by shawne11 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Any way to get this app to work on the Windows 8 PC that is ALSO running WMC and My Media Center Services? I guess it wasn't designed for this but it looked like it would supplement WMC nicely on a Windows 8 HTPC.

edit: It looks like I'm not the first one who thought installing it on my Windows 8 HTPC was a good idea.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Have you tried setting the IP address to 127.0.0.1 ?

(127.0.0.1 is "localhost", and, by convention, points at the machine itself.)

shawne11

Post by shawne11 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:42 pm

I tried IP address 127.0.0.1 and it didn't work. This is disappointing. My only Windows 8 device is the PC that WMC is on and I cant even get a look at the app. I do use the Android app but the Windows 8 app looks shiny.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 pm

you should be able to with the local ip/port. For the ip you could also try the host name as well.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

harveyjc2001

Post by harveyjc2001 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 pm

I am having the same problem. Can't get it to run on the Win8 host pc. Tried 127.0.0.1, localhost, actual IP.

I know the services are working b/c I can access this from another Win8 PC and mutiple apps/devices (iOS and Android).

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:08 am

I am going to go run around and test it out on a machine that isn't my development machine.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:09 am

So my official statement would be that Windows 8 does not support loopback functionality: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1377 ... -back-work

Obviously they allow it for development purposes only. I will ensure that the language in the app store is more clear stating "A different PC running My Media Center Services".

I will continue to investigate more.

Although I am thinking that perhaps you could setup Dyndns and remote access and use that as your settings...
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Post by 1454 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 am

Hi Motz,

First off, please don't flame me, I have searched and come across others that have this issue, but I'm not "authorized" to view those threads for some reason. I believe they were both on the actual ceton forum, and I'm under the same user name there as here. Anyway, my issue is that when using the "app" to change channels it activates my screen saver. I use the screen saver because my fiancee has a tendency to pause things and I use it to keep my screen(plasma) from burning in. Is there a way to keep this from happening? It looked like there was a solution in my google searches, but I can't view the forums where they are to find the fix. I hope I'm not too long winded.

Thanks,

Brandon

BTW,

My set-up

WMC W7 pro
with android media center app.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 am

1454 wrote:Hi Motz,

First off, please don't flame me, I have searched and come across others that have this issue, but I'm not "authorized" to view those threads for some reason. I believe they were both on the actual ceton forum, and I'm under the same user name there as here. Anyway, my issue is that when using the "app" to change channels it activates my screen saver. I use the screen saver because my fiancee has a tendency to pause things and I use it to keep my screen(plasma) from burning in. Is there a way to keep this from happening? It looked like there was a solution in my google searches, but I can't view the forums where they are to find the fix. I hope I'm not too long winded.

Thanks,

Brandon

BTW,

My set-up

WMC W7 pro
with android media center app.

No problem and no one gets upsets here for asking questions unless you are really mean :) Take a look here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =64&t=3197

we have solved it for some and not for others, michael said he has something a brewing as well to fix it up.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Post by 1454 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:14 am

Motz wrote:

No problem and no one gets upsets here for asking questions unless you are really mean :) Take a look here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =64&t=3197

we have solved it for some and not for others, michael said he has something a brewing as well to fix it up.
Thanks Motz. You guys really are the best. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into this. I'm just used to xda flaming you if you ask a question that has been answered, or attempted to be answered some where else. Anyway, I just appreciate everything.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:40 am

Motz wrote:Although I am thinking that perhaps you could setup Dyndns and remote access and use that as your settings...
That depends on the router - not all routers allow you to connect to their external address.

th3Pil0t

Post by th3Pil0t » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:02 am

I'm still not sure how to get downloaded TV shows to show up in this app...still marked as 'future'. When is this functionality likely to be implemented Motz?

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 am

We are actively working hard on this right now, we had a lot more we wanted to put into the most recent services but a few things popped up and Microsoft pushed the app out a bit earlier than we thought. I also have lots of local files as well. We will be posting some details on new services that we are working on soon.
I Write, Code, and Tweet