WMC crash on Netflix play

jagrime2

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC crash on Netflix play

Post by jagrime2 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 pm

With all the discussion around problems with the Netflix app, for some reason I decided to set up a new streaming account and give it a go again (I dropped streaming when they started charging for it). To my surprise everything about the interface works, that is until I selected a movie and push play. At that point WMC immediately closes, gives a notice that there was an unexpected error and then restarts to the main menu. Everything works fine in Internet Explorer and I have performed various uninstall/reinstalls of the Netflix plugin and Silverlight. In reviewing various message boards I haven't notice anyone else having a similar problem (at least not since 2009 -- supposedly was an issue with x64 and long urls). Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:09 pm

I am having this same exact problem! It started around the end of last month, and I cannot find any resolution... It is very annoying, and is starting to drive me crazy. Win7 x64....

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Try clearing your cache in Internet Explorer. The Netflix plugin uses the IE cache.

Also, if you moved your Temporary Internet Files to a different location that the default one, this can cause a problem sometimes.

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm

I have cleaned out the cashe several times. My Temp folder was never moved. I even made sure that the "Preserve Favorites and Website Data" was unchecked.... I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight. The Netflix plugin worked perfect until the end of March, and then this started happening. I can navigate, and see all of the menus, but as soon as I hit "Play", WMC crashes. The Event Log is no help, as the information it gathered is cryptic....

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Trying to view Netfilx streaming through the browser ends up in an endless loop of "Install Silverlight".... I've tried all of the fixes out there, and I'm still stuck in this loop.... No matter where I install Silverlight from (Microsoft site, or Netflix link), Netflix thinks I don't have Silverlight installed... I've even tried upgrading to IE9 (which I hate because it causes havoc in my gadgets), but it still thinks I don't have Silverlight installed... I've uninstalled/re-installed Silverlight, cleaned the cashe several times, emptied the Temp, cleared the 'Preserve Favorites and Website Data', upgraded to IE9.... My conclusion is that there is something wrong with the new Silverlight 5....

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm

dejavux2 wrote:My conclusion is that there is something wrong with the new Silverlight 5....
Millions of other Netflix users aren't having the problems that you describe.

My conclusion is that there's something wrong with your computer.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 pm

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:54 pm

I have tried the "Fix-it", but I have not tried the "Let Me Fix It Myself" steps. I will follow those steps when I get off of work. Thanks...

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Ok, I've moved passed this just being Silverlight.... please see my post "Can I repair windows 7 without breaking DRM?"