x280n questions

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Skybolt

HTPC Specs: Show details

x280n questions

Post by Skybolt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:58 pm

I just picked up a used x280n off of Amazon for $100. I figured why not experiment. But I didn't do my homework on this one...

So I have a couple of questions:
1. Does Media Browser work on this? I can't seem to get my movie folders to show up.
2. I am using 7MC, is there any software which will work with the x280n for the HP media to work?

Anything else I should know?

So far it seems to be a great basic MCx. I think with a few tweaks this might be a great box, considering the price.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 pm

1. No
2. None that I know of.

X280n is snappy performance wise(more so than the echo). It doesn't wake from sleep all that well. You may find you have to reboot it every once in awhile to reconnect to your PC?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:04 am

I have three of them. First, do NOT install the HP software on your PC!!! I don't use Media Browser (didn't like it), so I can't answer the 1st question.

Regarding the 2nd question, see my first paragraph... don't install the HP software on your PC. The X280N will automatically find every DLNA server on your network, which includes Windows 7 PC's (if you've properly setup media libraries in Media Player and/or Media Center).

In my experience, I like the X280N better than both the Echo and the DMA-2200. There are a couple of glitches...

1) The X280N will sometimes cause problems when trying to play copy-protected content if you try to FFWD/RWD or skip forward/back. This only happens if you use HDMI. It works fine with component (which gives exactly the same picture @ 720p and 1080i as HDMI).

2) The X280N has a reputation for "magically" turning itself on (the Echo has the same problem... and I've reported it to Ceton). From what I can tell, this happens whenever there is any kind of power glitch at your house. Put it on an UPS, and this should not happen.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 pm

I found that x280N would not skip forward/backwards, but only fast forward. Skip forward/backwards is very useful when watching recorded Tv, since you can skip commercials.

Linksys and D-link both do that.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 pm

blueiedgod wrote:I found that x280N would not skip forward/backwards, but only fast forward. Skip forward/backwards is very useful when watching recorded Tv, since you can skip commercials.

Linksys and D-link both do that.
Skip forward, skip back, fast forward, and rewind all work fine for me on the X280N with recorded TV. Actually, the Echo's skip-back doesn't work very well, but the X280N's skip back works very well.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:16 pm

I prett much figured the HP software was a no go or stay away from from what I read.
The Media Browser is a real bummer.
I picked this up for ~$120 so how could I go wrong, right now it's better then the Echo for sure (What a shame too).

Thanks for all of the input guys.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 pm

I just realized that the problem blueiedgod had with skip forward/back may have been related to the HDMI bug that I mentioned earlier.

ahyrun

Post by ahyrun » Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 am

I also just picked up an x280n from eBay. It threw me for a loop at first when I realized that it has it's own remote control commands and Linksys remotes don't work on it...but I got that working. It does seem faster than the Linksys (DMA2100/2200s) extenders, but obviously not as fast as the XBox 360.

At the moment, I'm having issues getting it to pass 5.1 signal over HDMI. On my old Linksys extenders, I could enable the "surround" option and that seemed to kick start everything, although I think I've left it in stereo and it still passed 5.1 across. Is there a secret command to get this to enable 5.1 over HDMI? I'm verifying that it's passing 2.0 ch via my Onkyo TX-NR818... which coincidently seems to have lots of HDMI handshake issues with my Linksys extenders.

Any ideas?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I just realized that the problem blueiedgod had with skip forward/back may have been related to the HDMI bug that I mentioned earlier.

hrm, interesting. I thought it was the limitation of the extender. That was the major reason for my choosing Linksys in favor of the HP.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:39 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I just realized that the problem blueiedgod had with skip forward/back may have been related to the HDMI bug that I mentioned earlier.

hrm, interesting. I thought it was the limitation of the extender. That was the major reason for my choosing Linksys in favor of the HP.
The X280N got squirrely when connected via HDMI. It works fine with component outputs connected to the TV.

shumiron

Post by shumiron » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:52 pm

How can I get hp x280n to recognize my Windows 7 Media Center. The xtender is listed in my devices and printers and reports that it is working correctly, but the hp extender keeps failing to find the WMC on the Win 7 HTPC.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 pm

shumiron wrote:How can I get hp x280n to recognize my Windows 7 Media Center. The xtender is listed in my devices and printers and reports that it is working correctly, but the hp extender keeps failing to find the WMC on the Win 7 HTPC.

Are you using a firewall, antivirus?

shumiron

Post by shumiron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:47 am

I do have AVG free antivirus. Only have Windows firewall on the HTPC. I can get the hp connected to the network, but it tries to access internet (hp website) and fails. Altho I don't think internet access is critical if I only want to use as WMC extender. Interestingly, I can access the computer with the X280n to look at pictures, music, etc. But when I get the hp to give me the WMC setup code and enter into WMC extender setup, it can't find the extender. Should I disable firewall while WMC is searching? By the way I did buy a China hp TV remote for $10 and used code 5031 to get it to control the X280n.

Hep me. Hep me. Please

shumiron

Post by shumiron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:31 am

I had an interesting event with my X280n. All of a sudden the extender and HTPC connected and I am able to use the extender to access WMC. Now my problem is that functionality on the extender is painfully slow. I performed the network optimization and it showed that the network connection between the HTPC and the hp X280n is very marginal. I am using ATT Uverse router for internet and powerline network adapters to get my LAN into the room that has the extender. all HTPC computer and extender are hard wired to the network. No WiFi. Live TV and recorded TV are accessible on the extender, but moving around the WMC menu is verrryyyy slow. I also get a little warning pop up saying something about network problems. If this is how an extender typically performs then I can't see that it is worth using. Any ideas on how to get better performance from the network?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:06 pm

I would say your powerline Ethernet is insufficient in bandwidth. I would suggest looking into moca http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/5 ... apter-Kit/ $120, I use wifi AC & 450 mb N 5 GHz wireless bridges with no connection issues.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:46 pm

you can try moving your powerline plugs and cables away from other devices by moving them to different outlets and by moving the cables. That was the only way I got powerline to be acceptable. Keep the network optimization utility running or rerun it as necessary while you move things around.

shumiron

Post by shumiron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:24 pm

So if I solve my network problem does the extender functionality come close to WMC functionality on my HTPC?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:59 pm

shumiron wrote:So if I solve my network problem does the extender functionality come close to WMC functionality on my HTPC?
It can be tolerable but I would never compare an extender to the PC experience. It does improve greatly once you have a reasonable connection.

shumiron

Post by shumiron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:48 pm

I have another question about the MoCA adapters. I see references to working with cable but not Satellite. I don't have cable or sat. I am using coax to distribute Over the Air TV from an antenna. Will the MoCA adapter work with that setup?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:02 pm

shumiron wrote:I have another question about the MoCA adapters. I see references to working with cable but not Satellite. I don't have cable or sat. I am using coax to distribute Over the Air TV from an antenna. Will the MoCA adapter work with that setup?
Yes, it will work in that scenario. All it is doing is creating a Ethernet connection over coax connection similar to how your cable modem works. The scenario your describing is when they are being used for tivo. You could also look into DECA which is basically moca over a different frequency which is what satellite uses for their streaming devices aka genie. The problem with DECA is that you have to isolate your cable & internet coax distribution by either completely isolating circuits. That is some work figuring out but worthwhile if you have the cable installed and looking for a cheaper alternative to moca adapters.

The description you're reading may not be the actual application your intending on using the moca for. All your trying to do is get a hard wire connection for your extender which that will provide. Powerline adapters can be poor hardwire connections for extenders, YMMV.