Switching from DCR-2650 to infiniTV - question

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
VikingCrown

HTPC Specs: Show details

Switching from DCR-2650 to infiniTV - question

Post by VikingCrown » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 pm

I am getting the pcie version of the infiniTV shortly. I currently have the Hauppauge DCR-2650 working fine. Will i just be able to take the CC out of the 2650 and put it in the infiniTV and then re-scan? Or will I need to re-do all the pairing with my cable provider again?

Also any other info on the switch regarding things I should be aware of would be great!!

Thanks,
Brian

jeepguy04

Post by jeepguy04 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 pm

I just switched as well. Needed more tuners and my father in law wanted to put a cable card tuner in his pc. So I upgraded and gave him my DCR-2650.

It is my understanding that you will probably need to call and re-pair. I did, but I didn't even try to see if it was working without that. I just immediately called once I installed the cable card. But I've also heard it depends on your cable provider.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:36 pm

The CableCARD is paired with the tuner, so if you change tuners, you have to un-pair from the old tuner and re-pair with the new tuner.

Also, there is no "scan" to execute. The channel/frequency information is stored in the CableCARD's channel map.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:37 pm

It will probably work right away, but you will eventually need to call and re-pair because when it attempts to sync in the future, the host ID and data will no longer match and you will lose channels. So it's best to go ahead and do the new pairing right away.

After you get all green check marks in Ceton Diagnostics, following the link to the diagnostics web page and confirm your DRM status is also Green, not Red. If it's Red, you'll need to reset your DRM. Hopefully that won't be the case.

FWIW, I've been through this many, many times, having gone from a 2650 to a Ceton, back to a 2650, to a Prime, then Ceton again and eventually a second Ceton. Most of this switching was to solve what I thought was a hardware problem which ultimately turned out to be a DRM issue. Once I fixed that, all was well. I like the Ceton a lot better than my old 2650. I never get any unavailable tuners anymore, and the diagnostics are very good.

VikingCrown

Post by VikingCrown » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Wow, thanks for all the helpful info! So best procedure would probably be:
1. Install the infiniTV and install all software/firmware
2. call comcast, un-pair the CC from the 2650
3. Install CC in infiniTV and then run through diagnostics
4. call comcast back and re-pair the CC

edited to ask:
Will i need to re-run the Digital Cable advisor?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I was under the impression that the pairing status came into play immediately when trying to tune encrypted channels. Either way, the recommendation to call immediately is correct, but I could be wrong. In any case, re-pairing immediately is the best solution. You shouldn't need to make 2 calls...just install the InfiniTV, plug the CableCARD in, pull up the correct screen to get the Host ID, etc., then call Comcast. They'll be able to un-pair and re-pair with a new device in 1 call. But you have to make sure they completely un-pair the CableCARD before they can re-pair it.

You also won't have to re-run the DCA. Your system is already configured for use with a CableCARD tuner.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Yep, you do it all in one call after you install the InfiniTV and drivers. I just tell them I moved my existing card to a new device then give them the details. Check the diagnostics while you still have Comcast on the phone to confirm the pairing worked. They'll probably ask you to reboot your device and tuning adapter (if you have one of those) during the process, in which case you simply reboot your PC. I'm pretty sure they just replace the old numbers with new ones, so there's really no un-pairing process you need to worry about.

Some providers let you do all of this yourself online. Not sure if Comcast is one of them though. May be worth checking into if you want to avoid a phone call.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Calling 1-800-comcast is a waste of time. Call their CABLEcard department directly 1-877-405-2298. If you have all your numbers (Host, data, serial, etc.) ready to go, it only takes a minute or 2.