WMC and iTunes Marriage?

wdpcpa

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC and iTunes Marriage?

Post by wdpcpa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 am

Hello All,

I was wondering if there was a way to access iTunes from within WMC. In my HTPC setup, I can access iTunes with my mouse and keyboard. But I really don't want anything but my remote. WMC plays nice with my remote. So I was hoping there was a way to use it to access iTunes.

Should I try to just make smart playlist that access my iTunes Media Library? Does WMC recognize the iTunes tags such as ratings, genre, group, etc.

I use group for a lot my smartplace inside iTunes. Every song gets a group code and I use that for playlist often. But just ratings and genre would help.

wdpcpa

Dgr_874

Post by Dgr_874 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 am

I point media center to where my iTunes stores it's music when setting it up. I then use a program called music bridge to synce play counts, ratings and playlists about once a week. Not the most elegant soloution but I have yet to find a better way.

wdpcpa

Post by wdpcpa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Dgr_874 wrote:I point media center to where my iTunes stores it's music when setting it up. I then use a program called music bridge to synce play counts, ratings and playlists about once a week. Not the most elegant soloution but I have yet to find a better way.
Many thanks. This looks like the best solution.

I downloaded Music Bridge. I will sync form ITUNES to WMC. Music Bridge also can create an XML worksheet with all the tag data. Do you know what this might be used for?

Thanks again,
wdpcpa

wdpcpa

Post by wdpcpa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 am

Didn't work. It worked the first time when I pointed WMC to Itunes. But it was picking up my audio books and podcast and everything. So I pointed it towards music. The libarary in WMC populated correctly. But now Bridge can't find the playlist.

Thanks anyway.

wdpcpa

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:23 am

I wouldn't let Media Center and the underlying Media Player anywhere near my music. I would recommend using Apple's Remote App on an iOS device. I think the 1' touch interface beats the heck out of any 10' interface with standard remote for my large music library, and I use my Touch to control iTunes. Plus, I don't need my TV to be on to choose music. If I just had to have a 10' interface for this, I'd consider buying an Apple TV. (I actually have an Apple TV, but I use it as an Airplay bridge to the receiver in the bedroom, which is not hooked up to a TV. While I can stream music from iTunes to the ATV using the Remote App, I normally stream music stored locally on the Touch to the ATV, so my PC doesn't need to be on. It's also possible to stream from iTunes to the Touch with Home Sharing, but I never use that feature. All the options can be pretty bewildering!)

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am

I use both wmc and iTunes together with no problems. I don't let either touch my music metadata though, I went through a process a couple of years ago in perfecting names, downloading cover art and embedding it in the metadata. I use music bridge to periodically sync playlists, which are usually more up to date in itunes