Stuck in Recovery

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mikefromnj

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stuck in Recovery

Post by mikefromnj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:34 pm

I have been using WMC for quite a few years. I currently have 6 Linksys DMA2100 deployed around the house. I want to upgrade them all to Echos eventually. I purchased 2 from Amazon that arrived 2 days ago. Neither one works out of the box. I contacted Ceton support yesterday and they told me how to try to have the devices recover. That did not work. I contacted Ceton today again this morning and have not heard back from them all day. All I want is access to the desktop recovery to see if that will work. Six hours later and no response from them.

I know Ceton claims that their support ticket system is better than phone support but if you claim to be open all day on Saturday I would think you could respond to a simple request within 6 or 8 hours. Maybe I am expecting to much. Anyway, can anyone offer advice on how I might get these 2 extenders to work? One has no HDMI output whatsoever and the other gets stuck on Recovery for hours on end. I submitted the Mac addresses to Ceton.

On a side note when I first hooked up the Ceton to my network all of my Linksys Extenders went offline and would not reconnect until I rebooted all of my routers and switches. Very odd.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

kmeleon

Post by kmeleon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:16 am

You're not alone, I got my echo from amazon Friday night. Hooked it up, same as you. Bricked. Can't get it to recover. So I submitted a ticket this morning at 930am EST and I never got a reply today either. There website says they're open 9am-6pm PST for tech support. If they were open today and we didn't receive help for our tickets, that's pretty lame support.

It looks to me that good amount of these echos have to call home straight out of the box before they will even function.

FYI, I ran the ceton recovery software and it successfully loaded the recovery image. I now have it sitting here reading "connecting to ceton" but until they enable my MAC ID to connect I'm dead in the water. But at least my Ethernet port works once I run this software. Guess ill wait till Monday....or Tuesday...whenever they get back to me.

Good luck mike.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:37 am

mikefromnj wrote:I have been using WMC for quite a few years. I currently have 6 Linksys DMA2100 deployed around the house. I want to upgrade them all to Echos eventually. I purchased 2 from Amazon that arrived 2 days ago. Neither one works out of the box. I contacted Ceton support yesterday and they told me how to try to have the devices recover. That did not work. I contacted Ceton today again this morning and have not heard back from them all day. All I want is access to the desktop recovery to see if that will work. Six hours later and no response from them.

I know Ceton claims that their support ticket system is better than phone support but if you claim to be open all day on Saturday I would think you could respond to a simple request within 6 or 8 hours. Maybe I am expecting to much. Anyway, can anyone offer advice on how I might get these 2 extenders to work? One has no HDMI output whatsoever and the other gets stuck on Recovery for hours on end. I submitted the Mac addresses to Ceton.

On a side note when I first hooked up the Ceton to my network all of my Linksys Extenders went offline and would not reconnect until I rebooted all of my routers and switches. Very odd.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

PM me your echo's mac address and I will enable recovery and send directions.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mikefromnj

Post by mikefromnj » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Just wanted to post an update. Last night Ceton enabled the desktop recovery for both of my units. One recovered and is usable the other got stuck on step 8/10. I am now awaiting a response from support again.

Now the very weird thing is that on the unit that works as soon as I start to watch live TV my media center PC shuts down and restarts. As soon as I try to watch live TV the same thing happens again so obviously this is not usable. When I watch TV on any of my Linksys DMA 2100 extenders the media center works great.

Another issue is that even though I have installed the echo plugin I can't see it in the extras library.

I hope Ceton responds soon because I really want the echo to work. My eventual plan was to replace all 6 of my DMA2100 with echos. I do have to say that for a $179.00 device I expected it to work right out of the box.

If anyone has any idea why the echo would cause my media center to reboot please let me know,

Mike

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 pm

mikefromnj wrote:as soon as I start to watch live TV my media center PC shuts down and restarts
Upgrade your HTPC nic drivers to the latest available.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:13 pm

mikefromnj wrote:Just wanted to post an update. Last night Ceton enabled the desktop recovery for both of my units. One recovered and is usable the other got stuck on step 8/10. I am now awaiting a response from support again.

Now the very weird thing is that on the unit that works as soon as I start to watch live TV my media center PC shuts down and restarts. As soon as I try to watch live TV the same thing happens again so obviously this is not usable. When I watch TV on any of my Linksys DMA 2100 extenders the media center works great.

Another issue is that even though I have installed the echo plugin I can't see it in the extras library.

I hope Ceton responds soon because I really want the echo to work. My eventual plan was to replace all 6 of my DMA2100 with echos. I do have to say that for a $179.00 device I expected it to work right out of the box.

If anyone has any idea why the echo would cause my media center to reboot please let me know,

Mike
You can PM me your MAC if you want to try recovery again on the one that got stuck on 8/10. I don't believe anyone is at the office today, but I can do it from home.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mikefromnj

Post by mikefromnj » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 pm

STC wrote:
mikefromnj wrote:as soon as I start to watch live TV my media center PC shuts down and restarts
Upgrade your HTPC nic drivers to the latest available.
That did it! According to the PC manufacturer I had the latest driver. I went to the chip maker's site (Realtek) and they had a much newer driver. Now the one echo that works does not cause my media center to reboot. Thanks again

Hopefully Ceton can help me with the other echo and with the issue of the plugin not showing up.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

mikefromn wrote: ...
That did it! According to the PC manufacturer I had the latest driver. I went to the chip maker's site (Realtek) and they had a much newer driver. Now the one echo that works does not cause my media center to reboot. ....
Yeah. the realtek driver is one that needs to be watched. Unfortunately the version of the driver from MS is also not a very robust version yet either, and every once in a while windows update tends to want to overwrite the installed version of the driver with the MS version. As of now as you found out the version from the manuf is the better one.
Time is on my side.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Hopefully Ceton can help me with the other echo and with the issue of the plugin not showing up.
You can't see the plug-in from extra's in Windows Media Center. If you want to view the plug-in from the HTPC, or any other workstation, just type in the Echo IP address into a web browser.

If you want to view the plug-in through Extras, you have to go in from the TV connected to the Echo.
Last edited by Crash2009 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikefromnj

Post by mikefromnj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 am

Thanks that did the trick.

kmeleon

Post by kmeleon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:54 am

mikefromnj wrote:Just wanted to post an update. Last night Ceton enabled the desktop recovery for both of my units. One recovered and is usable the other got stuck on step 8/10. I am now awaiting a response from support again.

Mike
Hi Mike, mine is stuck at 8/10 as well, tried 3 times. In talking with Motz, it looks like its going to have to go back to Ceton for repair/replacement. Glad you got one of your two recovered.