Pixelation solved with Electroline EDA-FT 08300 amplifier

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Inkidu

HTPC Specs: Show details

Pixelation solved with Electroline EDA-FT 08300 amplifier

Post by Inkidu » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Just a helpful hint after spending way to much time tracking down sporadic pixalation with my Ceton card.
The Electroline EDA-FT 08300 is not a cheap solution ($120) but after spending hours trying to solve the problem I am happy to report no pixalation problems after a 10 min. install of the amp.
Be wary of who you buy the amp from there are some reports of the warranty not being honored from some suppliers.
Hoping not to find out if I am the right choice with my supplier.
Hope this helps.
Don't forget to add a 75 ohms F Terminator to each unused output.
A lightning suppressor probably is not a bad idea either.

Deuce911

Post by Deuce911 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:48 am

I have two of these, one for OTA and the other for cable and they work great, a bit pricey but you get what you pay for in this case.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:54 am

I got one just like it... FREE from my cable company. Ever thought of calling them before buying an amp?

Deuce911

Post by Deuce911 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:01 am

They tend to ask more questions if you tell them you need an 8-way splitter for all my tuners and TV's in the house. I actually did once before I had 10 tuners and the guy came out and put in a 15dB booster and told me the signal was strong enough and to just use regular splitters.

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:12 pm

I have been running this amp for awhile now. I am still getting macroblocking issues, but I don't believe it is related to signal strength. Every run from the amplifier is connected directly to a wall jack. I have no other splitters in my setup. All unused wall jacks are closed off with terminators. I'm hoping my issue is the same as fiteclub's over at this post: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 867#p37867

Hopefully my symptoms can be resolved with an updated hardware file from Ceton. I'm attaching the output I received from running the "CetonSignals" program. Perhaps those more in the know can take a look at it and see if it may be a signal issue. One of the channels where I am still seeing partial screen, or sometimes full screen macroblocking, is channel 1004 (the local NBC broadcast channel). To be clear, I don't have any more issues with the single line macroblocking since I installed the updated beta firmware for the card.
Attachments
Signal Strength.jpg
Signal readings

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Inkidu wrote:Just a helpful hint after spending way to much time tracking down sporadic pixalation with my Ceton card.
The Electroline EDA-FT 08300 is not a cheap solution ($120) but after spending hours trying to solve the problem I am happy to report no pixalation problems after a 10 min. install of the amp.
Be wary of who you buy the amp from there are some reports of the warranty not being honored from some suppliers.
Hoping not to find out if I am the right choice with my supplier.
Hope this helps.
Don't forget to add a 75 ohms F Terminator to each unused output.
A lightning suppressor probably is not a bad idea either.
Maybe you can write up a quick review on Amazon so people searching for similar problems or a Ceton fix find it
http://www.amazon.com/Electroline-EDA-F ... ewpoints=1

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:32 pm

It appears that this amp isn't MOCA capable. Still hunting one...

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:56 am

I wanted to share my experiences with fixing pixelation / macroblocking.

After I submitted a ticket, Here's what Ceton said:

"Hi Jon,

Generally speaking, we find that a lot of brands of cable boxes use MoCa and can cause interference on the line if not used with a filter. We've seen similar problems arise from modems as well. If you remove the modem or cable boxes from the lineup, do you continue to have the macroblocking? We generally recommend trying a low-pass or MoCA filter. These will usually clean up the signal and help limit the interference you might receive from other devices on your coax network. We recommend installing the filter right before the infiniTV on the coax line. It is designed to filter out MoCA signals while allowing CATV signals to pass-through without issue.

Here is an example:

http://www.ppc-online.com/broadband/gro ... .php?id=85

If you have any questions please let us know.

Thank You,
Ceton Support"

I took out my cable modem for 48 hours (fed line direct to tuner via barrel connector), and I had ZERO pixelation/macroblocking! (luckily I had access to alternative WiFi signal to allow internet access for the 2 day test)

I bought the filter they recommended, installed it right before my Ceton tuner, and BAM, I have no longer have any Macroblocking/Pixelation. (perfect recordings, perfect live tv)
I found a cheap one on eBay for $6. http://r.ebay.com/giAq6E

I'm Happy. So far so good.

P.S. you can also use a TAP instead of a SPLITTER if you want to have a stronger signal sent to the Ceton tuner. A splitter divides the RF signal 50/50 on each output. A tap is more like 25/75. Output the strong side to the Ceton and the weaker side to the cablemodem. (speed is still rock solid)